Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Originally Posted by ranxoren i REALLY dont get it lol ! i keep comparing them ... BlackBerry Bold forum

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    i REALLY dont get it lol ! i keep comparing them and they are the SAME on my bold its not as sunken in as you guys say.
    Maybe its just my unit.
    Oh well... for once its a GOOD deffect :P
    Lol let's call it a special feature...
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

slanger55 no está en línea Stack level 2
    i HATE the bolds track ball. it never wants to go right! i have to apply pressure on it instead of just sliding me finger over it. the track ball on the curve was far superior than it is on my bold.

krosli no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    747101D2
    Find that the trackball needs some getting use to. I went from the Curve to the Bold and I was little disappointed with it at first. It grows on you once you have the device for a few weeks. Now, I don't notice the difference.

sdevino no está en línea Stack level 1
    You guys should stop eating buttered popcorn while using your BB's.:-) Grease will stop any of the track balls until cleaned.

My informal comparison of the two curves we have vs the Bold I have shows the trackballs are the same size, and extend from the keyboard the same amount. The Curves have more space around them as someone pointed out earlier. I also think my Bold's trackball is a lot more responsive than either of the Curves we have.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I think it will be awhile before the Bold trackball reveals it's durability & reliability. Or lack thereof. Obviously style was a higher priority for RIM since its a major job to service it. I find that decision reveals their lack of concern for longevity & the customer. Time will tell.

~via BoldBerry (wap.pinstack.com)~

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I'm asking Bold owners to look very closely at the trackball to see if it's new & improved as compared to the original trackball.
    In my opinion that's one area that could be improved for smoother & more accurate operation. It would also be nice if it was a bit larger.

Thanks for your reports!

sent via BlackBerry
    Simply Brilliant !

Lets hope that Blackberry is listening!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudshovel View Post
    is the pearl still the only device with different color led's in the trackball? the bold won't have a color pearl app? i'm still getting a bold, just curious if any of the 3 new devices have color led's.
    Actually, it's the Pearl 8100 only if memory serves me correctly. The newer units lack the multicolored LEDs themselves. There are only white. Therefore, the ColorPearl application won't work and there is no software fix.

Some have popped the trackball out of the curve and colored the leds to make it a color they like. But this isn't really a good solution as it involves modifying the actual device and would be very hard on the Bold since the trackball isn't removable.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Mr D no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by S58Player View Post
    I think its crap it loses sensitivity and sometimes wont move down !
    I thought I was the only one having this problem! I just noticed it today. If you put a little more pressure onto it, then it'll have more traction. However, moving in all other directions is much more accurate and sensitive than down.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I just got the Bold about a week ago.
    REVIEW: SEIDIO HOLSTER, BACK DOOR, RUBBERIZED CASE, BEST SKINS EVER!

Contains A LOT of pictures and if you have any questions, let me know!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    With response to the original question, I think there is serious room for improvement here. Let me first say though that I think the trackball is far superior to any other navigation system on other smart phones. I really don't like directional pads.

My list of improvements would go something like this:

1. Increase the size by about 25% but don't make it stick out too far. It would have to sink in to the unit.
    2. Change from the mechanical wheels (that always seem to get fouled) to a laser pickup similar to the trackballs for PCs. I have a feeling that the small physical size of the trackball (even with a 25%) may make this harder. But find a magnetic or laser pickup that doesn't rely on physical means.
    3. Create a bezel around the trackball that can be removed (even with an included tool or something) so that the socket could be cleaned.
    4. Make the socket isolated from the rest of the unit. On my curve and pearl, it seemed that dust would enter around the trackball and make its way under the screen.

I will repeat -- the trackball is great and I have few problems with mine. But I really think RIM should attempt to stay ahead of the game here and continue to improve it or else it will become old news very quickly...
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

CoreyS no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A25005
    I got the 8100 when it came out and the trackball was great. I've known people who have since picked up the 8300, the second generation 8100, and the 8800. I also recently got the 9000. All of them have the crappy trackball. I've come up with the idea that, perhaps it's only the deviced that were made in Canada that have the good trackball? My 8100 was made in Canada, but all other devices I mentioned have been made in China, Mexico, and Hungry.

Just my theory.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Lots of urban legend about the "Atomic" trackball. It is the same old conventional assembly with a dark grey ball! It does not enhance the prevention of dust and debris settling into the unit. Any tactile improvements are not a result of the trackball assembly's physical design.
    What is of main concern is how RIM has necessitated the disassembly of the entire unit in order to clean or replace the trackball assembly.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    In my experience with many trackball equipped models, it doesn't seem to matter where they were made. All the trackballs on mine have performed well. The only difference is the "old trackball" which could be removed easily by itself, was very simple to service & keep working smoothly. Whereas the "new" style in my Bold for example requires a complete tear down of the device to reach it. No worries however, it's a new trend in manufacturing. Example: my new BMW requires removal of the engine to change the oil.....heh!

~via BoldBerry 6 (wap.pinstack.com)~

out2late no está en línea Stack level 1

Bold Trackball doesn't light up anymore, please help

The movement is great however it doesn't light up anymore. Will a new trackball fix this issue?

banglaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569B255
    Yes, I think the 8100 one is better than Bold's. The only weakness of the good bb bold
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123