Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by thinkadam Has anyone heard that Bold Sim cards are different from others? ... BlackBerry Bold forum

mizmellyjelly no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by thinkadam View Post
    Has anyone heard that Bold Sim cards are different from others?
    I complained to Rogers that my battery isnt lasting long enough and they insist its because im using my older sim card from my previous curve.
    They claim it affects the battery, call quality and even causes java errors (which I do get)
    Is such a thing possible? If so, ill upgrade the sim to at least get a full day battery.
    Comments appreciated.
    thanks.
    This may be true. It happened to me with my 8900 and the way the tech support rep explained it to me made sense. I've reported this on an older thread of mine when I was having issues with the battery performance on my device a few weeks ago.

He said it's basically like putting an old engine in a brand new car. The old engine will have to work harder to keep up with the new model. Same goes for the old SIM card. Because it's a newer model/device, the old SIM card is trying to keep up with the network and connectivity, which you will notice because you will constantly see the arrows on the top right corner of the screen searching for data, thus causing the battery to drain as well.

Not sure if you made the switch already but have you noticed any differences in case you did?
    ..miz melly jelly™..
    Carrier: Rogers
    Device: rooted HTC Inspire 4G
    ROM: Virtuous Unity v1.27.0 with Sense 3

TwitterGoogle+

dlsolo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I'm gonna swing by the ATT store tomorrow and see if getting a new 3000 series SIM makes my connectivity any better.... more to follow

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    AT&T sim cards are clearly labeled 3G. The Bold will function in a limited capacity on an older sim, however you will not achieve 3G speed, nor will the phone be able to process data & voice at the same time. Finally you will not enjoy the superior voice clarity that is enjoyed via 3G. The difference is huge. Be sure to use a 3G sim. And yes they are backward compatible & will work fine in 2G & older models. All AT&T Bolds ship with 3G cards installed.

~via BlackBerry Smartphone~

mizmellyjelly no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well there ya have it.
    ~via smartphone~

sdevino no está en línea Stack level 1
    SIM cards are free, why not just move on?

Quote Originally Posted by sdevino View Post
    SIM cards are free, why not just move on?
    It depends on circumstances, & carriers. Many carriers are now charging for sim cards. Also it's good to understand why there are different cards.

~via BlackBerry Smartphone~

PIN/ID
    Ask
    welp, got a new card and the strangest thing started happening.... My 3G services has been on the downside. I now get more swapping between EDGE and 3G, than I ever had before.

Now, I'm a little grumpy! Should have stuck with my old card. My opinion only....

anoxia187 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    4000 sims and the U0.2 on the bottom are the newest simcards.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Okay, I downgraded to the famous .210 and I'm still haveing sucky performance with this sim card. Heading to ATT right now for another BOLD. ~via smartphone~

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    i went through three sims on my bold before i got one that works. i had a older 3g card in my curve and when i upgraded the rep wanted to give be a new sim just to make sure that there aren't any problems on 3g. i said fine whatever. i was having a problem with signal strength and late emails, so i went back and spoke to the rep and he thought it might be a bad sim. changed the sim again. then i started having the problem where people were calling me, it wasn't rining, and going right to voice mail. so i call cs and they say it's a bad phone. i go into a store and they say no it's probably just the sim, again. try a new one and see if it fixes it. fine. well, it fixed it. i have the 4000 series sim, and it works perfectly.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    I'm on sim card 3 now and I'm still having issues with my signal strength. On my old 2000 series card, I had no problems and a pretty darn strong 3G signal. Now, I get sporadic signal readings (this is all on .210) and, in places that I had awesome 3G coverage, I maybe a bar or two and sometimes even end up back in EDGE.

CS told me to have my Bold replaced. Doing that on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    i went through three sims on my bold before i got one that works. i had a older 3g card in my curve and when i upgraded the rep wanted to give be a new sim just to make sure that there aren't any problems on 3g. i said fine whatever. i was having a problem with signal strength and late emails, so i went back and spoke to the rep and he thought it might be a bad sim. changed the sim again. then i started having the problem where people were calling me, it wasn't rining, and going right to voice mail. so i call cs and they say it's a bad phone. i go into a store and they say no it's probably just the sim, again. try a new one and see if it fixes it. fine. well, it fixed it. i have the 4000 series sim, and it works perfectly.
    This is a very interesting story. I had no idea this device was so sensitive to sim cards. I'm using a 14 month old AT&T 3G card & all is well. Very interesting.
    ~via Android Smartphone ~

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    yea i didn't realize it either that they're so picky. i was annoyed at first that i should have just kept my original that was working just fine, but who knows if it would have worked on the bold at all!!! i'm just glad that it's fine now even though it took about three weeks for everything to get figured out.

i wonder why the bolds are so picky? none of the other bb's seem to be

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Neither of my Bold SIM cards end in 4###. One ends in 2943 and the other in 6785.

After reading this thread I took the SIMS from my 8900 and my 8320 and tried them. No adverse issues at all. Had 3G connection steadily all day.

Edit: I found the 4000. Oddly enough, my 8320 also shipped with a 4000 series UO.2 card as well.
    Last edited by Sirthinks; 02-09-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Strange enough, I'm back on my 2000 series sim card and thinks are better. Myself and the ATT CS rep did tons of speed tests with 6 different sim cards, plus my old sim and 3 different Bolds. He even saw it for himself, that I had better 3G connectivity and speed on a older sim, than a newer one. Talk about freakin' strange!!!! But I'm happier with my service and data speed now. Fun, fun, dun~via smartphone~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast