Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I let my wife use my 8820 and I notice, she gets better signal while ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ozz007 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    249ECC39

Bold signal

Advertisement

I let my wife use my 8820 and I notice, she gets better signal while on the road, my bold wont show any signal on some spots and hers do show up 2 bars, is this normal on the bold or the bold has bad antena?

fortyeighty no está en línea Stack level 2
    are you on att? a possible explanation could be that the 8820 is always on EDGE while your bold is always trying to get the best 3G signal and will switch to EDGE when it has to, which sometimes causes no reception at all. It could be the spots that you are referring to does not have sufficient 3G coverage. just a thought.

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by fortyeighty View Post
    are you on att? a possible explanation could be that the 8820 is always on EDGE while your bold is always trying to get the best 3G signal and will switch to EDGE when it has to, which sometimes causes no reception at all. It could be the spots that you are referring to does not have sufficient 3G coverage. just a thought.
    Just for testing: Switch via Menu - Manage Connections to 2G only and check again.

HTH
    Peter

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by peterthill View Post
    Just for testing: Switch via Menu - Manage Connections to 2G only and check again.

HTH
    Peter
    I didn't think you could do this on AT&T, running .190 where is the selection for 2G only under Manage Connections?
    I'm new at this but could not find it. Having the same problem it drops connection when going from 3G to non 3G area.

PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDog View Post
    I didn't think you could do this on AT&T, running .190 where is the selection for 2G only under Manage Connections?
    I'm new at this but could not find it. Having the same problem it drops connection when going from 3G to non 3G area.
    Go via:

Manage Connections - Mobile Network Options - Network Mode and switch from '3G & 2G' to '2G'

HTH
    Peter

BanhiDancer no está en línea Stack level 2
    Go via:

Manage Connections - Mobile Network Options - Network Mode and switch from '3G & 2G' to '2G'

HTH
    Peter
    "Network Mode" doesn't appear to be available on AT&T.
    Manage Connections --> Mobile Network Options... only options available are "Data Services", and "Mobile Network" (which only has AT&T available as an option). Nothing obviously helpful in the menu either.

PIN/ID
    281860C8
    I'm sorry. I tought that the options are the same as on my TMO Germany Bold.

Sorry again for the confusion!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BanhiDancer no está en línea Stack level 2
    No worries :}

Anyone happen to know if there's a way around this on AT&T?

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm sorry. I tought that the options are the same as on my TMO Germany Bold.

Sorry again for the confusion!

Not a problem, was a good idea. Thanks anyway.

mavericmechanik no está en línea Stack level 2
    If there is a way to turn off 3g on att, that would be nice to have. I don't know if there are any 3rd party apps, or a workaround in att bold to do this. Any ideas or solutions? I would really appreciate it.

betavirus no está en línea Stack level 2
    No way to kill 3G on ATT. End of story.

xattica no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GA
    Can't be done on a ATT Bold.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by betavirus View Post
    No way to kill 3G on ATT. End of story.
    The AT&T network does not require manual control of 3G as it uses a different protocol than Rogers. My Bold has great reception & holds a signal just as well as my 8310. My Curve is really excellent, just over a year old the phone function is excellent.

The good news is my Bold is even better. When in town it stays locked on 3G which produces very high voice clarity. That's a common advantage of 3G. When traveling out of a 3G area into EDGE it automatically switches and holds onto the signal perfectly. One cannot notice the transition its so smooth. I travel a lot each week & my Bold has never dropped a call.

If you are having a problem its probably a bad phone. Return it for a good one, you will be happy you did.
    Cheers
    Via BlackBerry Bold

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    I think the choice of 2G or 3G was removed via AT&T's request. They did not want you to interfere.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    3G is defined as the network speed. There are several ways to arrive at 3G. This is why AT&T, Rogers, Vodafone, Telefonica, O2, T-Mobile & others each have their own differences. Therefore it's not as simple as it sounds. Not only are frequencies part of the picture, but even more importantly is the hardware configurations that are used. The routers & switching devices that control hand offs from tower to tower are programmed & controlled differently by each carrier.
    This is why no matter if we talk about 2G or 3G the way the cellular "traffic" is handled is what makes the difference between dropped calls or no dropped calls. Due to the complex yet very effective & successful configuration of AT&T's network is one reason they were just recognized as the best carrier in the world. It's why when I fly to my office in London, my BlackBerry Bold works as well as it does when I'm in the USA. Because of their network expertise, AT&T is able to seamlessly handle both 2G & 3G automatically. It's an advantage to the customer. With AT&T you don't have to be a tech person & manually switch your phones network settings from 2G or 3G, you just use your phone. Nothing to worry about.

Just like the automatic transmission in your car. You just get in & drive. Only people who are auto enthusiasts choose a manual transmission, requiring driver involvement, for their sports car. The rest, take advantage of modern technology.

It's simple really, with AT&T you have one less thing to deal with. The phone just works. That's why AT&T and RIM are such a good match, they both are reliable, and just work. It's the reason AT&T sells the most BlackBerrys.

sent via BlackBerry Bold

(wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast