Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sorry, here is a link to an official release of .593 which is the latest.... BlackBerry Bold forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Advertisement

Sorry, here is a link to an official release of .593 which is the latest.

kavishmunim no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks so much for the reply.
    No its a new one. Given my case and history what do u think could be the problem?
    Have their been cases of problem being solved by OS upgrade?
    Can u let me know step by step procedure of OS upgrade. This is my first experience with a Blackberry
    please assist

thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Is it a new device or a used one?

You can try an OS upgrade. The latest official one is .586 which you'll find in the 9700 forum.

Instructions can be found in the Technical Support Blog link in my signature.

Seems to be an issue with TMO 9700s for some reason. Don't know for sure if the OS upgrade will help, but it's worth a shot.

The link to the OS is in my post above and instructions can be found here, but I'd go with the following instructions (from the link):

1. REMOVE THE MEDIA CARD!! - Many people have uneventfully and successfully upgraded their device OS with the media card installed, but just as many, if not more have experienced data corruption of their media by leaving the card in....corruption which leads to random reboots of your device, among other things. In case you forget this step, you'll probably need to reference this thread after your upgrade.

2. BACK UP YOUR DATA! - Any time you are upgrading your OS, it is imperative that you back up any of the data or applications you've loaded on your device!

3. Download and INSTALL on your PC/laptop the lastest Operating System for your device from this link, courtesy of jdellasalla. It does not matter from which carrier you get the OS, but it must be specific to your device. In other words, you cannot load the OS for an 8100 on your 8310. I emphasized install because downloading and installing are two different things. In most cases, however, the installing will occur automatically after the executable has been downloaded. Just in case, it's wise to make note of where these files are loading on your computer. Go to your Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (Programs and Features on Vista) and look for anything that says BlackBerry Device Software 4.x. If you click on that, it should tell you at the bottom of the screen what the version number is. If it's the one you wanted, you're good to go, othewise you'll need to locate the files you downloaded and initiate the installation of the OS from there. Note: If there is more than one OS on your PC, you will need to either uninstall or relocate the other OS's so that DM can find the one you want to upgrade to.

4. If you are installing an OS from your carrier then you can skip this step, otherwise you must delete the "vendor.xml" file. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader on your PC/laptop, highlight and delete this file. You can also search your computer's hard drive for the "vendor.xml" file and delete it that way.

5. Connect your device to the computer.

6. Navigate once again to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader on your PC/laptop. In that folder you'll see an executable icon called Loader. Double click that icon, then click Next. The following screen should be Communication Port Selection and your PIN should show up in the box. Click Next again. Loader will then read the device and your computer for the OS. As in the traditional installation method, the selected check boxes indicate applications that are already installed on the BlackBerry device. Again, from here you can select or unselect any applications you wish to install or leave off your device.

7. Continue to follow the prompts as in the traditional method and your new OS will proceed to be installed. With this method you will still be informed of any errors along the way, as well as indicating that the upgrade operation was completed successfully.

Be Patient! Device upgrades can take as long as an hour and sometimes even longer! Whatever you do, let the Desktop Manager do its thing! Don't be tempted to unplug the cable or stop the upgrade no matter how long it's taking! Device initialization is probably the most painfully slow portion of the upgrade process, so just be patient!

Thank you so much for the info man!
    1) Can u give me the link to the offical 9700 OS download?
    2) Any risks involved in installing new OS?

The link to the OS is in post #16.

Yes, you risk bricking your device! Seriously, it can happen, but as long as you follow the instructions and don't mess with your device during the upgrade, you'll be fine. We're here to help you, so keep us posted!

what do u mean by Bricking the device?

I am sorry but what do u mean by bricking the device??
    Also should i select the first OS which appears for download in the link.? There are many subsequent in the page available for download too

Sorry, use this link instead and yes, choose the first one in the list.

As for bricking the device, don't worry about it. It simply means rendering your device useless so that it's good for nothing but being a paperweight. It's not gonna happen though.....

u scared me for a few seconds when i read ur definition of bricking ... Lol
    thanks for the help. I will download from this link now.
    Thank u man! i really appreciate.

NAPPYDREADZ no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249F0C9E
    I have a Bold 9700 with the ver. 5.0.0.602 (plat. 5.1.0.112) My phone occassionally reboots by itself quite often (2 to 3x a week). Does anyone think that the apps downloaded can be affecting this? Please help all comments appreciated.
    “Nothing is too much trouble for love.”
    Desmond Tutu, Civil Rights Leader

Could be an application, could be corrupted media on your media card, if you have one.

The only way to tell if it was an application is to remove them, then start adding them back in one by one 'til the culprit rears its ugly head.

As for the media card, if you remove it and the rebooting stops, you'll know you have some file on your card that's corrupted.

boricua no está en línea Stack level 3
    Perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Manager for windows or BlackBerry Desktop Manager for MAC. Go to BlackBerry website and look search for knowledge base article KB11320

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12