Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

so yesterday i went to at&t to upgrade my phone to the bold, where i ... BlackBerry Bold forum

  1. #1
    aiyssa's Avatar
    aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56

    bold or iphone? help asap!

    Advertisement



    so yesterday i went to at&t to upgrade my phone to the bold, where i all of a sudden was convinced to get the iphone. i am so lost as to which one will better fit my needs so i thought i'd go to the pros for help. i know a lot of people will be biased but i'm willing to hear everyone's opinions. i have searched online for ages and keep going back and forth between the two. so here's a few facts about me:

    1. had the blackberry pearl, LOVED IT. things i immediately missed when i got my iphone: the blinking red light at the top (I AM DYING WITHOUT IT even though it's so minor), no touch screen.

    2. things i like about the iphone: the applications, an ipod because someone stole mine at school, the fact that it syncs to my mac, made me actually use my calendar and now i have all of my contacts on my computer

    PS. i tend to drop my phone a lot/occasionally. do iphone screens really break that easily?

    the real big problem i'm having is just the transition from blackberry to iphone, i just can't decide if the iphone is a better phone to suit my needs. anyways if i want to switch back to the blackberry i only have a certain grace period so if you have opinions please let me know because i am completely swayed back and forth. i think there are just certain minor features that i miss from the blackberry but i can't decide if it's worth it to stay with the iphone.

    copy paste/mms and other such things dont REALLY matter to me but if i have them on my device (like i did with the pearl) they are nice to have



    sorry for the novel. thanks in advance for your help!

  2. #2
    Berryadict's Avatar
    Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,297
    Aiyssa, you're asking the wrong crowd Very personal decision though. I checked out my daughter's LG Dare recently, and I'll tell ya that I love the way BB's are set up to function so efficiently. For many of us, once you've gone BB, you'll stick with them for life.
    You've got 30 days to check out your iPhone. Maybe you prefer it's features and the progs available to it. And then again, maybe you'll miss the stability and logical well arranged function of a Berry

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    You are indeed asking the wrong crowd lol
    Ill show you my progression : Had a curve, got an iPhone 2G, kept it while it was still new with all the excitement, loved it. After a couple months I couldnt stand the crashes anymore and needed something reliable. Ran back to Curve.
    When the iPhone 3G came out, i wanted something new, so ditched my Curve got the 3G iPhone.
    I was quite happy altho i missed the BB OS.
    Then the day the Bold came out , I saw it, touched it, played with it for 5mins, and there and then sold my iPhone 3G and got it.
    Thats my personal opinion tho.

  4. #4
    aiyssa's Avatar
    aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56
    haha i know that is my problem! i feel like i'm a traitor with the iphone, like i've sold out to blackberry hah. im way too emotional about a cell phone

  5. #5
    aiyssa's Avatar
    aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    You are indeed asking the wrong crowd lol
    Ill show you my progression : Had a curve, got an iPhone 2G, kept it while it was still new with all the excitement, loved it. After a couple months I couldnt stand the crashes anymore and needed something reliable. Ran back to Curve.
    When the iPhone 3G came out, i wanted something new, so ditched my Curve got the 3G iPhone.
    I was quite happy altho i missed the BB OS.
    Then the day the Bold came out , I saw it, touched it, played with it for 5mins, and there and then sold my iPhone 3G and got it.
    Thats my personal opinion tho.
    those are the exact kinds of stories i'm looking for. thank you! apparently a lot of people don't like the iphone after a few months

  6. #6
    catstide's Avatar
    catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2008
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Posts
    6,673
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    You are indeed asking the wrong crowd lol
    Ill show you my progression : Had a curve, got an iPhone 2G, kept it while it was still new with all the excitement, loved it. After a couple months I couldnt stand the crashes anymore and needed something reliable. Ran back to Curve.
    When the iPhone 3G came out, i wanted something new, so ditched my Curve got the 3G iPhone.
    I was quite happy altho i missed the BB OS.
    Then the day the Bold came out , I saw it, touched it, played with it for 5mins, and there and then sold my iPhone 3G and got it.
    Thats my personal opinion tho.
    but tell him/her what your true love is
    lighten up...life's too short

    my favorite cydia apps and hacks

  7. #7
    duilsko's Avatar
    duilsko no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    PIN/ID
    25675D70
    Posts
    81
    I went from iPhone 2G to a pearl then to an iPhone 3G. I used the iphone for a few weeks but found myself swapping back to the pearl more and more till I bought a Bold, after a week I sold the iphone, gave the pearl to my dad and have totally fallen love with the Bold.

  8. #8
    Berryadict's Avatar
    Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,297
    Quote Originally Posted by duilsko View Post
    I went from iPhone 2G to a pearl then to an iPhone 3G. I used the iphone for a few weeks but found myself swapping back to the pearl more and more till I bought a Bold, after a week I sold the iphone, gave the pearl to my dad and have totally fallen love with the Bold.

    And that's one of the reasons this site's the best. Sharing. And caring

  9. #9
    offthahorseceo's Avatar
    offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Posts
    1,562
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well, the decision is ultimately up to you but here's my take. The iphone DOES have a nice GUI. Its nice to look at. That I can't deny. Everything on it is also really simple. The things I didn't like about it though were:

    The inability to add/remove music without using itunes...you have a mac so that may not be as big a deal to you
    The inability to see if I had any missed calls/messages/emails etc without picking up the phone. Sometimes at work, I put my Bold under the counter to charge. Its at floor level so I like that without having to bend down, I can see if I've missed anything.
    The way everything looked cobbled together. Everything is pretty and cool looking but, it seems like apple created teams and said"you work on the stopwatch, you work on the calendar app,you work on stocks". While this is likely for many companies, it seems like the apple teams didn't compare graphics to create a uniform look. That's very superficial of me I know but it got on my nerves
    In my honest opinion, music sounds better out of the Bold than the iphone. And to apples credit, the media player is laid out a lot like the ipods, only with a NICE search and playlist feature. I wrote a review, check it out.
    Video also look a lot better on the Bold. Take the Iphones screen, and make it smaller without losing resolution. That's the bold screen. Sharp,vibrant and just beautiful.
    REAL keyboard. You liked the pearl keyboard, I'm sure you'd LOVE the bold keyboard. There's something reassuring about clicking keys when you type...
    Mini USB. I have lost more usb cables than I can count. At one point I had a grey one, a white one, and three black ones. I found them all in a box of old cables. That's the beauty of the mini usb port. With an iphone, you have a specific cable that you need. They also sell cables that only charge, as opposed to charge and sync. I came across one of these when I was tryin to unlock an iphone. Boy was I stumped...
    Third party apps. While the iphone has a TON of third party apps, a lot of them do nothing. Blackberries have a ton of productivity,finance,mapping, and fun apps.
    Community. You're already in pinstack, the best mobile community on the planet. Our primary focus here is blackberry. While I'm sure there are plenty of iphone communities out there I'm sure none can compare to pinstack. A large amount of the iphone owners I have run across are fanatical condescending trendwhores who do not listen to reason. Notice I didn't say all, but A LOT. (Some berry addicts are the same way, but apple has the most fanatical fanboi's)
    Email! There's nothing like email on a blackberry...nuff said
    There are apps out now that will allow you to sync your bb to your mac, I think the missing sync and another one...

    Well, all this was typed from my newish blackberry bold. I would type more but I'm drained for now hehe. Best wishes and whatever decision you make I hope you're happy with it. Noone should make your decision for you. Even the rep at the at&t store shouldn't have swayed you into the iphone, the only reason he did it is because, if you already had the pearl, you already had a blackberry data plan, so he wouldn't get paid for "adding" the blackberry data plan since it was already there. He DID get paid for switching you to the iphone data plan.

  10. #10
    catstide's Avatar
    catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2008
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Posts
    6,673
    Quote Originally Posted by offthahorseceo View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well, the decision is ultimately up to you but here's my take. The iphone DOES have a nice GUI. Its nice to look at. That I can't deny. Everything on it is also really simple. The things I didn't like about it though were:

    The inability to add/remove music without using itunes...you have a mac so that may not be as big a deal to you
    The inability to see if I had any missed calls/messages/emails etc without picking up the phone. Sometimes at work, I put my Bold under the counter to charge. Its at floor level so I like that without having to bend down, I can see if I've missed anything.
    The way everything looked cobbled together. Everything is pretty and cool looking but, it seems like apple created teams and said"you work on the stopwatch, you work on the calendar app,you work on stocks". While this is likely for many companies, it seems like the apple teams didn't compare graphics to create a uniform look. That's very superficial of me I know but it got on my nerves
    In my honest opinion, music sounds better out of the Bold than the iphone. And to apples credit, the media player is laid out a lot like the ipods, only with a NICE search and playlist feature. I wrote a review, check it out.
    Video also look a lot better on the Bold. Take the Iphones screen, and make it smaller without losing resolution. That's the bold screen. Sharp,vibrant and just beautiful.
    REAL keyboard. You liked the pearl keyboard, I'm sure you'd LOVE the bold keyboard. There's something reassuring about clicking keys when you type...
    Mini USB. I have lost more usb cables than I can count. At one point I had a grey one, a white one, and three black ones. I found them all in a box of old cables. That's the beauty of the mini usb port. With an iphone, you have a specific cable that you need. They also sell cables that only charge, as opposed to charge and sync. I came across one of these when I was tryin to unlock an iphone. Boy was I stumped...
    Third party apps. While the iphone has a TON of third party apps, a lot of them do nothing. Blackberries have a ton of productivity,finance,mapping, and fun apps.
    Community. You're already in pinstack, the best mobile community on the planet. Our primary focus here is blackberry. While I'm sure there are plenty of iphone communities out there I'm sure none can compare to pinstack. A large amount of the iphone owners I have run across are fanatical condescending trendwhores who do not listen to reason. Notice I didn't say all, but A LOT. (Some berry addicts are the same way, but apple has the most fanatical fanboi's)
    Email! There's nothing like email on a blackberry...nuff said
    There are apps out now that will allow you to sync your bb to your mac, I think the missing sync and another one...

    Well, all this was typed from my newish blackberry bold. I would type more but I'm drained for now hehe. Best wishes and whatever decision you make I hope you're happy with it. Noone should make your decision for you. Even the rep at the at&t store shouldn't have swayed you into the iphone, the only reason he did it is because, if you already had the pearl, you already had a blackberry data plan, so he wouldn't get paid for "adding" the blackberry data plan since it was already there. He DID get paid for switching you to the iphone data plan.
    wow! great post!
    lighten up...life's too short

    my favorite cydia apps and hacks

  11. #11
    aiyssa's Avatar
    aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by offthahorseceo View Post

    Well, all this was typed from my newish blackberry bold. I would type more but I'm drained for now hehe. Best wishes and whatever decision you make I hope you're happy with it. Noone should make your decision for you. Even the rep at the at&t store shouldn't have swayed you into the iphone, the only reason he did it is because, if you already had the pearl, you already had a blackberry data plan, so he wouldn't get paid for "adding" the blackberry data plan since it was already there. He DID get paid for switching you to the iphone data plan.
    thank you for all that you wrote for me! and everyone else, for being so informative. i think half the reason i posted on here was to hear stories and to be swayed back to getting the bold. the only thing that is really holding me back is the ipod and the applications. my sister, who works at verizon, said the exact same thing to me about the data plan/commission type thing.

    the thing i'm most worried about with the iphone is that like everyone else i'll get sick of it in a couple months. right now i'm high on life with it but ive only had it for one day. i really was planning on getting a bold but my dad also talked me out of it because he has one and he doesn't think i use it 'correctly' because i dont have 5 different email addresses and calendar's on it, but i did just fine with my pearl.

    another question about the bold which i'm sure i could find somewhere on the internet: but say i have videos on my itunes, could i transfer them to the bold?

  12. #12
    coryishome's Avatar
    coryishome no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5
    I had the first gen iphone, left it for a curve. Then bought the iphone 3g, and recently left it for the bold. Honestly the bold is the best device I've used. The iphone is a great phone BUT for actual push email you need to sign up for mobileme (which also works on my bold) The thing you'll notice about the iphone is that no matter how good you get at typing on it you still kind of have to stop what you're doing to do so. I say buy a good sized micro sd from newegg.com and get the bold.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    but tell him/her what your true love is
    Ok Cat lol - my true love is the Storm 95xx !

  14. #14
    catstide's Avatar
    catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2008
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Posts
    6,673
    Quote Originally Posted by aiyssa View Post
    i have videos on my itunes, could i transfer them to the bold?
    i don't think so. most stuff (if not all)purchased on itunes is copyright protected.
    lighten up...life's too short

    my favorite cydia apps and hacks

  15. #15
    aiyssa's Avatar
    aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56
    so what kinds of movies do people put on their bolds, if people do that at all..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •