Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

The Bold was really hyped since it was a jump to 3G speeds. Everyone touted ... BlackBerry Bold forum

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Advertisement

The Bold was really hyped since it was a jump to 3G speeds. Everyone touted the new OS and the amazing speeds that would be achieved. Unfortunately, for me, I think it would wear off quickly.

At the end of the day, the "cool factor" is really just a selling point. It's after you've lived with a device for a month or so that it becomes clear whether or not the device is right for you.

The best example I have is of my MacBook. I love it. I've had it for two years and while the newness has worn off, it just keeps doing what it needs to do day after day. I've had other laptops and they were great. They had more features, or a better screen, or faster processors or something. But in the end, they didn't have the whole functional package. And the newness wears off.

For me, I've owned two BlackBerries. I've used them for close to 3 years. I've also used some other people's devices for brief periods so I'm not totally new to the scene here. What I've found is that the first device I had was the 8100. It was great. It functioned well and was good for reading mail, browsing very basic web pages and sending text messages. But in the end, I was continually frustrated by the inaccessability of symbols on the keyboard and the small screen.

I passed it to my wife and she loves it. She doesn't even have a data plan, but writes over 2000 texts a month. It's perfect for her. I got the 8310. Thus far, it's perfect. I've used it for close to 2 years and it's continually met or exceeded my expectations. While it may not have the newness anymore, it may have a few scratches and it may show some wear, it keeps doing what I need it to do.

I think I'd love the bold for a couple weeks but would soon get fed up by the little things -- OS stability or different keyboard. Perhaps that's just me. But 3G would never outweigh the stability of my Curve. Once the bugs get worked out, perhaps.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post

" But in the end, I was continually frustrated by the inaccessability of symbols on the keyboard and the small screen".
    So I was wondering if it was just my eyes or is the viewing screen on the Bold is smaller than than of the 8820. Are you saying small screen in general? Trying to find all the pros and cons before I shell out a chunk of change. I may just keep my 8820.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Sorry for the confusion. When I was referring to a small screen, I was talking about my 8100. I'm assuming that the screen on the Bold is about the same physical size as the 8820. However, the Bold should have a higher resolution (more pixels packed into the same space).

Hope this helps!
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Well? I tried reading over all the prior posts as i am very late catching this thread. I'm surprised to say the least at some of the things i've read.

I guess my Bold is an exception with many of the complaints. I will keep a close eye on the complaints listed and see if mine begins showing the same

For the record my Battery is by far the best i've ever had on any smart phone.
    With my iPhone i could not make it to noon and with the Pearl and Curve I had to stay close to a charger. So far that is not the case with my Bold.

wish me luck.
    And was this an ATT bold you purchased or was it an import? I am curious to know if the problematic Bolds are just an ATT problem or is a universal situation.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    And was this an ATT bold you purchased or was it an import? I am curious to know if the problematic Bolds are just an ATT problem or is a universal situation.
    I've had one unlocked from Rogers & two from AT&T. This is primarily a RIM issue with quality control of the hardware & some software issues.
    Via BlackBerry

DunkHype no está en línea Stack level 3
    hey guys, im a old time BB user. I switched to the iphone (2g) then Curve ( LOVED IT! ) and now back to the iphone 3g. honostly, its about opinion. The iphone 3g SUCKED THE LIVING **** out of the battery with 3g and APPS. i honostly dont like the iphone 3g. waste of battery, battery will die within 6 hours of usage. at the presentation of the 3g, it was said that it would have 6-7 hours of media usage , it was true but it only lasted about 4-5 hours tops. i am a heavy user of sms/media/browsing. from 9am-3pm im on 10% on battery life on the iphone 3g. horrible. 50% is from stand by! i was wondering compared to the iphone 3g to the bold which lasts longer, or even better yet, BOLD or CURVE? the curve for me lasted 2-3 days without charging.

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I've had one unlocked from Rogers & two from AT&T. This is primarily a RIM issue with quality control of the hardware & some software issues.
    Via BlackBerry
    ah...I understand. Hmm...hopefully the kinks will get worked out in due time.

chaos.theorist no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by DunkHype View Post
    hey guys, im a old time BB user. I switched to the iphone (2g) then Curve ( LOVED IT! ) and now back to the iphone 3g. honostly, its about opinion. The iphone 3g SUCKED THE LIVING **** out of the battery with 3g and APPS. i honostly dont like the iphone 3g. waste of battery, battery will die within 6 hours of usage. at the presentation of the 3g, it was said that it would have 6-7 hours of media usage , it was true but it only lasted about 4-5 hours tops. i am a heavy user of sms/media/browsing. from 9am-3pm im on 10% on battery life on the iphone 3g. horrible. 50% is from stand by! i was wondering compared to the iphone 3g to the bold which lasts longer, or even better yet, BOLD or CURVE? the curve for me lasted 2-3 days without charging.
    I had an iphone 3G as well and found the battery life to be horrible. It would be almost dead by 3:00 in the afternoon. I had an 8800 and loved it - lasted 2/3 days on a charge. I got a Curve and the battery life was good, but I hated everything else about it. It feels like a cheap plastic piece of garbage and the keyboard on that thing is a joke. How people call the Curve a 'solid' phone is beyond me. The 8800 is solid - very solid - and so is the Bold. At least the one I got is. I haven't tested the battery life yet, but yesterday I had well over 3/4 of the battery left from a full charge by the time I went to bed with light usage all day (Woke up @ 7:30, to bed at 11:00). It will be tested this week as I'm on my phone a lot more M-F.
    The browser...eh. It's crap. That's one area where the iphone is king. The BB Browser is much improved, but RIM still has some ground to cover.

So far I love this phone though...even more than my 8800 - and that's sayin a lot!

At the end of the day, the "cool factor" is really just a selling point. It's after you've lived with a device for a month or so that it becomes clear whether or not the device is right for you.

The best example I have is of my MacBook. I love it. I've had it for two years and while the newness has worn off, it just keeps doing what it needs to do day after day.

For me, I've owned two BlackBerries. I've used them for close to 3 years. What I've found is that the first device I had was the 8100. It was great. It functioned well and was good for reading mail, browsing very basic web pages and sending text messages. I passed it to my wife and she loves it. She doesn't even have a data plan, but writes over 2000 texts a month. It's perfect for her. I got the 8310. Thus far, it's perfect. I've used it for close to 2 years and it's continually met or exceeded my expectations.
    Brilliant! I truly enjoyed reading this post which brings up the value of having a device that does what we need it to do, reliably & consistently day after week, after month & so on. The example you give of your MacBook is stellar.

While I am quite impressed at what the Bold offers, I will be even more impressed when it becomes capable of delivering that level of functionality. My prediciton is the second generation Bold will be the one to own, as it should fulfill those promises.
    sent via Curve 8310 the BlackBerry that just works ..

Quote Originally Posted by DunkHype View Post
    i was wondering compared to the iphone 3g to the bold which lasts longer, or even better yet, BOLD or CURVE? the curve for me lasted 2-3 days without charging.
    I have used & compared battery life on the 8310,8800,Bold & iPhone. My findings are in favor of the Curve 8310 by a wide margin. I've also compared the Bold battery life to that of my other 3G smartphones. At the end of the day, I find my Curve 8310 the best built, most solid, reliable, and funtional BlackBerry of them all.
    That said, moving forward I feel quite certain the 2nd gen Bold should deliver what the current model is supposed to. .
    sent via Curve 8310 the BlackBerry that just works ..

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    While I am quite impressed at what the Bold offers, I will be even more impressed when it becomes capable of delivering that level of functionality. My prediciton is the second generation Bold will be the one to own, as it should fulfill those promises.
    I'm in complete agreement. The second generation will be a huge winner. I think it will give all the functionality that is supposed to be there now but on an ultra stable platform.
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I'm in complete agreement. The second generation will be a huge winner. I think it will give all the functionality that is supposed to be there now but on an ultra stable platform.
    Im more and more shocked to see how bad the ATT release is. Is it really ?
    A rogers Bold on a the rogers network is basically flawless after having upgraded from the stock .126 to the official rogers .162 or any beta OS for that matter.
    I believe the current bold is definitely a winner but that the next gen will obviously be better.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456