Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Originally Posted by xander77 wow! am i crazy or does the bold seem to have ... BlackBerry Bold forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by xander77 View Post
    wow!

am i crazy or does the bold seem to have a better build than the 8310? i dont think it is quite as "tank-like" as the 8800, but i'm very impressed with the feel and build of the BOLD.
    ill definitely second that the Curve while a really sturdy phone mind you, now feels plasticky to me compared to the Bold.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    I'm starting to have dome creaks around the bezel. I called att about a warranty exchange and they told me to go back to the store and swap it out.
    I would highly encourage you to remove the battery door off the new Bold you get _BEFORE_ you take it home. While still at the store, take a good look inside and around the perimeter of the body. Of the 3 Bold's I have had, I inspected this area on all three after I had the same experience as you are having. What I found was that there is an irregularity that is present and causes this squeaky, creaky, looseness. Thus it appears that perhaps in the manufacturing process of the top half of the phone, there may be a problem which causes this "warped shape". It is very slight, the best way to detect it is if you have a glass table top that you can put it on to visually inspect it from all sides. Glass because you are assured it's a flat surface which makes it easier to determine if the housing is warped. I know that two out of the three I inspected had this issue. So the good news albeit precarious, is that some of the phones are coming out OK while others are not. And while issues like this should be caught by RIM during the QC checks, they are slipping through the cracks, being assembled and sold to the unsuspecting customer.

In one case the owner was a friend of mine, so we went back to the AT&T store together and they allowed us to look at 7 other Bolds and we finally found one that was fine. I almost decided to return mine at that time, however I'm good friends with the store manager and he confirmed the problem that I was having (wifi did not work ) and said that there was no way to assure I would not get another unit with the well known wifi problem. So that said, I then decided to give my Bold to someone who did not need WiFi and would be ok with the other issues, since he was getting it for free.

I hate to say good luck, since this really should not be left to luck but it is, what it is.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    You are entitled to exchange your phone at the store more than once if that's what it takes. However you must be within the first 30 days. If so, then you are set. Just remember they will try to discourage you, so be prepared to be assertive. Be prepared to ask for the Mgr. As a long time AT&T customer I've been in your position. If they cite "the rules" just remember the manager can override them to make a customer happy. When 1st released, I exchanged an 8800 with loose side rails
    4 times to get a good one. So be positive, be pleasant, be persistent & you will get the results you deserve as a customer.
    Via BlackBerry
    i went back to the att store this afternoon and here is what i found... my bold, the display model, and the fist other box they opened all had the same issues with creaking and screen attachment to the bezel. the 2nd box they opened for me had a good unit (so far). so, out of two different att stores, both display models, and 3 handsets (5 of 6) have had issues... not a great ratio RIM. but, im set for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    ill definitely second that the Curve while a really sturdy phone mind you, now feels plasticky to me compared to the Bold.
    Was that before or after you washed your hands?.....

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    My wife has my old curve, and i agree with Ranxoren, it feels odd now after using the bold so much lol

DisplacedBadger no está en línea Stack level 1
    ATT BOLD may be different. I'm staying with my Curve 8310!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Was that before or after you washed your hands?.....
    lol archer you always find the way to get a smile on my face !
    i honestly think that RIGHT NOW the most impressive blackberry and the most innovative one IMHO is the Pearl Flip 8220.
    And thats knowing im gonna be lynched for saying this hahaha.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    To each his own.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    To each his own.
    dont take me wrong i have a Bold and i LOVE it im more than impressed by the screen the horsepower etc...
    But basically i had HUGE expectations for the Bold and it met them im happy.
    I had TINY expectations for the flip and it exceeded them like theres no tomorrow.

Catch my drift ?

PS: Btw archer im stealing your "Device Details" as i was looking for a way to show both mine haha! Thanks!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Well? I tried reading over all the prior posts as i am very late catching this thread. I'm surprised to say the least at some of the things i've read.

I guess my Bold is an exception with many of the complaints. I will keep a close eye on the complaints listed and see if mine begins showing the same

For the record my Battery is by far the best i've ever had on any smart phone.
    With my iPhone i could not make it to noon and with the Pearl and Curve I had to stay close to a charger. So far that is not the case with my Bold.

wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    To each his own.
    Precisely!
    I've never proclaimed one BB as the best, what I've said is the best BB for you is the one you like.
    And what I've said all along, one of _many_ advantages of the BlackBerry family are the choices.
    We have several models to choose from, instead of just one like the other manufacturers.

Motorola Q - one form factor
    Blackjack - one form factor
    iPhone - one form factor

BlackBerry - Pearl, Curve, 88xx, 89xx, Bold, Storm (Six Choices)

Cheers

j2bbdev no está en línea Stack level 1
    From what I have read... it appears everyone's mileage may vary. I purchased a Bold from AT&T on the day of release and haven't had any problems. The same was true for my Curve, Pearl and 7100g. Without exception no problems. That said I also understand how having problems with a device can be extremely frustrating. But I would just say to everyone experiencing problems hang in there. Just like new model year cars... there are always hiccups and issues with build quality. I have always believed that if you purchase a new release of >>anything<< you are more or less the mass public beta.
    Last edited by j2bbdev; 11-08-2008 at 07:21 PM.

choughton no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2554172A
    Hi folks,
    I've had my Bold since 16th August over here in England and I love it.....now! The build quality is fine by me and I have the Invisible Shield all over it which makes it feel even better. I have two battery doors, one I've kept and standard and one I've modified with green spray (which looks great if I do say so myself!) both fit perfectly. The reason I say if the opening sentence that it works well now is that I had the .92 os installed when I purcahsed it which was very poor. Web page rendering was awful, battery life was even worse. It was clearly not ready for sale. I felt like a beta tester! The os' have got better and better. .147 was good but since getting into the 160's (I'm currently on .168) things are great. Battery life is just what I'd expect and general performance is fantastic.
    That's my two pence (or cents) worth,
    Cheers,
    Chris

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f
    I ended up exchanging my bold that I purchased on tuesday for a new one. This one seems to be alright with regard to bezel and battery door issues. As long as no issues arise in the next 3 weeks then I will keep this.

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    lol archer you always find the way to get a smile on my face !
    i honestly think that RIGHT NOW the most impressive blackberry and the most innovative one IMHO is the Pearl Flip 8220.
    And thats knowing im gonna be lynched for saying this hahaha.
    i prefer my 8220 than my bold, im too bord of the bold thats why im gonna switch back to my 8100 and put the bold aside. i got 0 problems with my bold, its just great but lil bord of it...
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast