Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Originally Posted by Karlos16UK Orange are about to release these in the UK and I ... BlackBerry Bold forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos16UK View Post
    Orange are about to release these in the UK and I was going to get one but reading this post from a respected member has thrown me into turmoil. I think I will hang on and wait until Orange users report what the amended versions are like in operation. Thanks Archer
    You're very welcome.

I think your plan is a very good one. I'm certain that after RIM has time to sort things out, this will be a good model. It's just a bit disappointing to see them release it the way it is. It breaks with their long standing tradition of delivering new phones that just work. Period. Quite frankly as a very loyal BlackBerry user / advocate, this is a disturbing trend. I'm a particularly positive person that will over look any reasonable situations that are small and easily resolved but this new Bold has far too many issues to expect the mainstream user to fix on their own, especially if it's their first BlackBerry and they are expected to update the OS? What may be easy for us, is not to the brand new user. Many argue that it was required of the iPhone however many of these same individuals have no idea what's involved. An iPhone is like a MacBook, click on a link and it updates automatically. No user involvement required.

There is no question in my mind that RIM will be releasing OS updates until they get it right, however for me that is simply unacceptable. I have a very reliable 8310 that gets the job done very nicely. My productivity is not shot down while I spend hours trouble shooting it, even though I have all the skills to do so. And while I would not expect a used BlackBerry bought of eBay or another source to be perfectly operational, I do think that when one pays the $400 it takes to walk out the door of AT&T with a Bold, you should be able to charge it, setup BIS and enjoy it. I simply do not think that is an unreasonable expectation.

Cheers

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    i got a unbranded 1 and havent had any of the problems u hav, i agree with the materials, dey r crappy but wi-fi is stable on mine and same as 3g, but i stay on edge anywhere outside my house (i got a rly strong 3g in my house, didnt hav any problems with buggs, lags, crushing nothing.
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

Quote Originally Posted by mac14x View Post
    i got a unbranded 1 and havent had any of the problems u hav, i agree with the materials, dey r crappy but wi-fi is stable on mine and same as 3g, but i stay on edge anywhere outside my house (i got a rly strong 3g in my house, didnt hav any problems with bugs, lags, crushing nothing.
    Glad to hear that you got one of the "good ones".
    This does seem to fall in line with the pattern. Some of the Bolds have been fairly good with a distinct absence of the problems that are present on others. However therein lies the rub, is the inconsistency. So far there have not been many (if any) comments on this forum as to where the various Bolds are being assembled. Perhaps this is part of the issue, I don't know, I can only guess. As I for one, was very motivated to like my Bold and I made every effort to put up with it's faults. However they were simply too numerous, and validated by what I've read in reviews, as well as witnessed locally amongst other BlackBerry users in my area. So it's not as though mine was defective, as it wasn't. When calling into AT&T tech support they were very courteous and candid, saying that they had no fix for a few of the issues such as the WiFi which would not connect easily and stay connected. The very same issue which was reported in other reviews. Also I personally setup two other AT&T Bolds for people and one of those two was a particularly good unit, the other was mediocre like mine. Thus I do think it's a time will tell situation. If time is not important, and users have time to do the work, that RIM should have done before releasing the device, then these are the ones that will eventually have a very reliable unit.

Cheers

mwo2616 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    After one week of truly trying to like my Bold, I'm done with it.

Here are the problem areas that caused me to give up my Bold.

1) WiFi performance: Would not connect reliably and stay connected
    2) Browser: Required resetting to optimize use of 3G or WiFi
    3) Batt Door: Poor latch, marginal materials and build quality
    4) Call Quality: Very inconsistent, ranging from great to mediocre at best.
    5) Battery: Life was quite variable, and simply not long enough
    6) Build Quality: Unacceptable for a top of the line BlackBerry
    7) Speed: 3G was slow at times, unlike my other 3G smartphones on AT&T
    8) Keyboard: Soft key presses, lack of tactile feedback
    9) Connectivity: Two much "hunting" between 3G and EDGE
    10) Browser: Poor page rendering
    11) OS: Too buggy, requiring updates frequently
    12) Chrome Surround: Poor material choice, flimsy, prone to damage

I'm now enjoying my trusty, reliable, 12 mo old, good as new Curve 8310, more than ever!

Cheers...

1. My WIFI Connects flwalessly!

2. No problems with both browsers on mine!

3. I agree!

4. I have not had 1 dropped call! I even continued a call thru an area that i normally drop calls in the past!

5. Battery life will be drained by WIFI. Not having any battery issues with mine!

6. I think the build quality is just fine (except for the battery cover)

7. 3G works great on mine!

8. Soft key presses? I dont understand that one!

9. Mine Connects seamlessly between 3G and EDGE.

10. I havent found a page that i cant pull up!

11. Buggy OS? I havent had to update yet!

12. Prone to damage? Did it get damaged after one week?

Bottom line is this...... Everybody has a difference of opinion about this phone, but this phone blows away the 3G IPHONE and the Curve!!!! You might have gotten a defective phone. But, with WIFI and 3G coverage, this is the best phone on the market PERIOD! I couldnt imagine going back to my Curve 8310!

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    8. Soft key presses? = Squishier buttons on the keyboard versus the solid ones on the Curve which make the tapping sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mwo2616 View Post
    Bottom line is this...... this phone blows away the 3G IPHONE and the Curve!!!!!
    Your statement is simply your opinion. The real bottom line is you got lucky. Celebrate!

Tate002 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I must say! This is best Berry I have ever own. My first one was the 7290 (cingular) Every since then i have had every single one with at&t. With the bold I absolutely love the wifi while browsing, the extra memory and oh my gosh the cv. Its so cool i can stream my favorite show flawlessly. I don't know it wifi makes downloading better with Opera but is sure seems like it. I down loaded a 63mb file in a short period of time.... Only with Opera though....

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I hope rim hasn't fallen off so bad that we have To rely on luck to get a good device...
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    I hope rim hasn't fallen off so bad that we have To rely on luck to get a good device...
    No worries, it seems to be isolated to the Bold.

Just like the 8800 with rampant loose side plates, the 8820 was a significant improvement in build quality just about six months later. So to those of you that can wait, the 90xx is sure to be a winner. If the Storm is any indication the big bonus will not only be a much better version of the Bold, but a less expensive one as well. After all much like software this is Bold 1.0 that is being sold, and we all know what they say about any version 1.0.... avoid it and wait for 2.0. It worked for Apple with the iPhone and it will work for RIM with the Bold!

Cheers, things are looking up!

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f
    After using it for a few days, I will be returning my bold tomorrow most likely. The bezel is creaking in many places now and it is just annoying for me. I wil go back to my trust 8310 which is built like a tank, and then probably get the curve 2 when it comes out on T-mobile.

DisplacedBadger no está en línea Stack level 1
    Interesting comments. Currently I have the 8310 Curve; love it!! This week after trying the BOLD, I'll stay with my Curve. Battery life is great, good ICON'S (third party download) and great connectivity.

Why pay a small fortune to "step down" to the BOLD!

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    I'm starting to have dome creaks around the bezel. I called att about a warranty exchange and they told me to go back to the store and swap it out. Ill give that a go and see if the next one has better build quality. If the next one creaks, then I'm stuck with a creaky phone. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    I'm starting to have dome creaks around the bezel. I called att about a warranty exchange and they told me to go back to the store and swap it out. Ill give that a go and see if the next one has better build quality. If the next one creaks, then I'm stuck with a creaky phone. Oh well.
    You are entitled to exchange your phone at the store more than once if that's what it takes. However you must be within the first 30 days. If so, then you are set. Just remember they will try to discourage you, so be prepared to be assertive. Be prepared to ask for the Mgr. As a long time AT&T customer I've been in your position. If they cite "the rules" just remember the manager can override them to make a customer happy. When 1st released, I exchanged an 8800 with loose side rails
    4 times to get a good one. So be positive, be pleasant, be persistent & you will get the results you deserve as a customer.
    Via BlackBerry

xander77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    wow!

am i crazy or does the bold seem to have a better build than the 8310? i dont think it is quite as "tank-like" as the 8800, but i'm very impressed with the feel and build of the BOLD.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I have myself too have had an amazing Bold experience. No wifi or 3G problems not lag no nothing. Im really sorry you had to go through all this dear friend (Archer) but like some other mentioned you probably just didnt get lucky.
    Then again i am talking about a Rogers Bold on the Rogers Network which seems to have been the best combination around the world.
    Sorry to hear that.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast