Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Originally Posted by archer6 I gave it to someone who needed a new BlackBerry and ... BlackBerry Bold forum

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I gave it to someone who needed a new BlackBerry and really appreciated it....
    How nice of you!!

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    I gave it to someone who needed a new BlackBerry and really appreciated it....
    That's so nice!!

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ disregard the double post

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraBear View Post
    Yes it still needs some work. 4.6.0.188 has fixed a lot of the problems you listed.
    I concur. I've seen it on my friends Bold.

via BlackBerry

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I think this is a great thread but it is regrettable that the only GOOD bolds ended up being the Canadian ones.
    For some reason i havent seen a lot of people complain about Rogers Bolds used on the Rogers network and upgraded to the latest OS.
    Sorry to hear that Archer. My 8220 has taken over my Bold anyways so i was almost thiking of selling it too but we will see maybe im just excited by the "new" device.

Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    These devices are disposable and are not made to last for more than a year or two.
    Your take on this “devices are disposable” concept is unique to the USA, as we do tend to live in a disposable society. However in the UK and other countries where people take care of their devices, it is not unusual to get five years out of a phone. I know as I have 60 employees in my office in London and their take on it is quite different, one that I share.
    Also just because you can afford to replace devices on a whim, is in no way indicative of every customer that buys what is for them, a very expensive outlay of cash to purchase a BlackBerry Bold. After all we are not talking a phone that retails for under $100, or is given away freely as are many regular phones.
    The Curve is no different, feels like a piece of plastic. Most surfaces are painted so you know they will not last.
    I deploy over 200+ BlackBerrys in the company that I founded, I give my employees a choice between the “still” available 8700c, the 8820, and the 8310. When I look across the landscape of my staff, I find the Curve a particularly good model and as we all know if the company buys it for them, they do not always care for it the way they would if it was their own. So the point is that I find the three phones that we use all quite durable, and well made. My Curve is now one year old and I would challenge anyone to identify it as anything other than looking and functioning like new. Used heavily every day, the paint has no signs of poor quality, the display is devoid of scratches and has never been protected by a plastic film, nor is the device used in a case. Carried in one yes, but taken out to be used, and believe me I use it with zeal.
    After the 75xx series, RIM went to a cheaper designed cases which looked more fancy but at the price of durability.
    This statement too, is contrary to my experience.
    The Bold is just another phone, . my phone is to use. I depend on it for my company communications, it is not a Holy device that needs to be keep perfect but only a tool! I enjoy it for what it does for me every day. I has the best RF performance, speaker quality and screen of any RIM device I have used.
    My staff of over 400 employees, also “use our phones” and are they are kept “serviceable” not perfect, however that said, we must first start out with a well made phone. It seems like you are justifying RIM’s declining quality as witnessed in the Bold as “oh well” that’s the way it is. Well, every year for the past 15 years I’ve leased a new S Class Mercedes Benz. At no time have they had a major decline in quality and functionality where the customers simply shrug and say oh well, it’s only a car. Only a car is a mid priced, average sedan. Whereas an S Class Mercedes Benz is like a Bold, it represents their finest effort. Unlike a Bold, MBZ customers are not willing to let the company slide into a pit of mediocrity.

So, there is my counterpoint to your self labeled “rant”.

Finally do not interpret this as a “rant” or condemnation of your well taken points. I respect everything you have to say, as well as your values and opinions. I’m writing this remembering that we are posting on a public forum where all participants are individuals with difference perspectives, preferences, and uses for their BB of choice. They are all encouraged to speak freely of their opinions, experiences, and likes and dislikes of a product which in this case is RIM’s BlackBerry Smartphone.

Respectfully
    archer6

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Your take on this “devices are disposable” concept is unique to the USA, as we do tend to live in a disposable society. However in the UK and other countries where people take care of their devices, it is not unusual to get five years out of a phone. I know as I have 60 employees in my office in London and their take on it is quite different, one that I share.
    Also just because you can afford to replace devices on a whim, is in no way indicative of every customer that buys what is for them, a very expensive outlay of cash to purchase a BlackBerry Bold. After all we are not talking a phone that retails for under $100, or is given away freely as are many regular phones.

I deploy over 200+ BlackBerrys in the company that I founded, I give my employees a choice between the “still” available 8700c, the 8820, and the 8310. When I look across the landscape of my staff, I find the Curve a particularly good model and as we all know if the company buys it for them, they do not always care for it the way they would if it was their own. So the point is that I find the three phones that we use all quite durable, and well made. My Curve is now one year old and I would challenge anyone to identify it as anything other than looking and functioning like new. Used heavily every day, the paint has no signs of poor quality, the display is devoid of scratches and has never been protected by a plastic film, nor is the device used in a case. Carried in one yes, but taken out to be used, and believe me I use it with zeal.

This statement too, is contrary to my experience.

My staff of over 400 employees, also “use our phones” and are they are kept “serviceable” not perfect, however that said, we must first start out with a well made phone. It seems like you are justifying RIM’s declining quality as witnessed in the Bold as “oh well” that’s the way it is. Well, every year for the past 15 years I’ve leased a new S Class Mercedes Benz. At no time have they had a major decline in quality and functionality where the customers simply shrug and say oh well, it’s only a car. Only a car is a mid priced, average sedan. Whereas an S Class Mercedes Benz is like a Bold, it represents their finest effort. Unlike a Bold, MBZ customers are not willing to let the company slide into a pit of mediocrity.

So, there is my counterpoint to your self labeled “rant”.

Finally do not interpret this as a “rant” or condemnation of your well taken points. I respect everything you have to say, as well as your values and opinions. I’m writing this remembering that we are posting on a public forum where all participants are individuals with difference perspectives, preferences, and uses for their BB of choice. They are all encouraged to speak freely of their opinions, experiences, and likes and dislikes of a product which in this case is RIM’s BlackBerry Smartphone.

Respectfully
    archer6
    What can i say? amazing post as always, Great arguments and all based on something i can relate to.
    Archer ... My man ... !

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Archer, I can't help but to notice that you seem to take great care in your device (with the use of novus) so to counter gregs post by using your curve as an example is odd..

Perhaps you might use the same line of thinking in comparing tvs to ufos...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by joewoo View Post
    Archer, I can't help but to notice that you seem to take great care in your device (with the use of novus) so to counter gregs post by using your curve as an example is odd..
    Sounds like you have not read my post carefully, and that you are being quite judgmental. Apparently you are subscribed to the school of thought that "newer is always better" to which I say, not true. When a particularly good model is created, just because a newer one comes along that does not diminish the value of the existing model.

Finally this is not a "one size fits all" scenario. That is the very asset that RIM has over their competitors, they offer several devices with the BB platform, as opposed to just one form factor like the iPhone, the Blackjack, the Moto-Q and others. Thus for you to be the judge and suggest that the Curve 8310 is a lesser device when it's not your position to be critical of others preferences is further proof of what is perhaps a rather hasty post on your part.

Respectfully
    archer6

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Nope... Never claimed that your preferences towards the curve is wrong... Nor did I ever say the curve is inferior because of its age... What I WAS doing was just pointing out that when greg mentions the plasticy/not so durable attributes of the curve, countering that argument with your specfic device, which is novus-ed straight out the box (not making fun of you, I ordered this stuff as per your recommendations) is an odd statement... Maybe if you had rebuttled with "I have 500 employees with curves that look good" would have had more substance... Your device, although used frequently, maintains its great physique by practices from a person who is at a different level with their device than most average users....

Quote Originally Posted by joewoo View Post
    Nope... Never claimed that your preferences towards the curve is wrong... Nor did I ever say the curve is inferior because of its age...
    It appears as though I have misread your post...

What's a BB addict such as myself to do? ...it's most certainly the brain cells I've killed off by holding all these cellular phones up to my head.

Or perhaps it's my skewed values based on the paralysis of analysis...
    Ahh... the beauty of a lively exchange.

Thanks joewoo, your points are well taken.

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    No problem.. In all fairness, from many reviews I read.. There is a large sense of unbiased-ness from the ones you do... Nothing but respect...

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    I owned three Curves and still have two of them. They have all gathered dust under the screen and been scratched from just setting them down on my desk. The battery covers always seemed loose and I always hated how the whole keyboard would move when you just pushed one key.

I respect our right to differ and thanks respecting my right to my own opinion.

I do see few Blackberrys that are over 5 years old anymore. Not saying they are not out there but I see few. I can go thru more than one phone a year. It is a hobby.

The people in your company, given a choice, would not be using 5 year old Blackberrys.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

The people in your company, given a choice, would not be using 5 year old Blackberrys.
    My post said: "However in the UK and other countries where people take care of their devices, it is not unusual to get five years out of a phone." This was a statement of observation, in terms of what we see the average personal user carrying in the UK. Much like they keep their cars longer.

Your statement above is an incorrect assumption on your part.
    My post did not say that my employees are using 5 year old BlackBerry's. Quite the contrary, they get their choice of one of three current BlackBerry models, and they are allowed one new BB per year. Believe me there is not one single employee that does not appreciate, and take advantage of my generous policies when it comes to their BlackBerrys and their ThinkPad Laptops. We are a high tech company and I as an enthusiast keep us in the best equipment.

Karlos16UK no está en línea Stack level 2
    After one week of truly trying to like my Bold, I'm done with it.

Here are the problem areas that caused me to give up my Bold.

1) WiFi performance: Would not connect reliably and stay connected
    2) Browser: Required resetting to optimize use of 3G or WiFi
    3) Batt Door: Poor latch, marginal materials and build quality
    4) Call Quality: Very inconsistent, ranging from great to mediocre at best.
    5) Battery: Life was quite variable, and simply not long enough
    6) Build Quality: Unacceptable for a top of the line BlackBerry
    7) Speed: 3G was slow at times, unlike my other 3G smartphones on AT&T
    8) Keyboard: Soft key presses, lack of tactile feedback
    9) Connectivity: Two much "hunting" between 3G and EDGE
    10) Browser: Poor page rendering
    11) OS: Too buggy, requiring updates frequently
    12) Chrome Surround: Poor material choice, flimsy, prone to damage

I'm now enjoying my trusty, reliable, 12 mo old, good as new Curve 8310, more than ever!

Cheers...
    Just when I think i've made my mind up to get one of these you throw me a curved ball that could take a roundabout at 70 plus without brakes
    Orange are about to release these in the UK and I was going to get one but reading this post from a respected member has thrown me into turmoil. I think I will hang on and wait until Orange users report what the amended versions are like in operation.

Thanks Archer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast