Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Originally Posted by Capdot why do you feel that the javeline will be better?~ Great ... BlackBerry Bold forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    why do you feel that the javeline will be better?~
    Great Question?
    First off, I never claim any BlackBerry is "the best". Why? Because we all have our preferences. However what I am saying is that for me, the Javelin is probably going to be the best. I prefer the individual keys with spaces between them like the keyboard on my Curve. Even though a smaller keyboard (and I have big hands) one of my priorities is a keyboard that is fast, accurate and comfortable for me as I handle a huge number of emails daily. Next I prefer everything about the upcoming Javelin which is to be called the Curve 89xx. I like that the camera has the lens covered and is flush with the back of the phone, not protruding out. I like the fact that I can carry it in a slim leather clip less case in my pocket as I do with my current 8310. It has a better battery door than the Bold with a removable, replaceable latch. And I really like the styling.

Cheers...

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yes it still needs some work. 4.6.0.188 is pretty dang good, and has fixed a lot of the problems you listed.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by luciferseamus View Post
    from what I understand...
    (and correct me if I'm wrong)
    the javelin will have a faster processor more internal memory a sleaker design and more of a curve keyboard then a bold one.
    I thought the bold was gonna have the fastest processor out of all the new phones rim was releasing. I'm still figuring out which one I should buy that's why I'm asking.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Bold faster by a bit ... I think its 500 vs 600ish

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Great Question?
    First off, I never claim any BlackBerry is "the best". Why? Because we all have our preferences. However what I am saying is that for me, the Javelin is probably going to be the best. I prefer the individual keys with spaces between them like the keyboard on my Curve. Even though a smaller keyboard (and I have big hands) one of my priorities is a keyboard that is fast, accurate and comfortable for me as I handle a huge number of emails daily. Next I prefer everything about the upcoming Javelin which is to be called the Curve 89xx. I like that the camera has the lens covered and is flush with the back of the phone, not protruding out. I like the fact that I can carry it in a slim leather clip less case in my pocket as I do with my current 8310. It has a better battery door than the Bold with a removable, replaceable latch. And I really like the styling.

Cheers...

Thanks for your reply. I rely on all of you guys for your opinion and experiance with these devices.
    I'm torn between the bold and javeline and thinking I should just buy both. Ha.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    archer... having been through 4 devices in the past 30 days (8320, iphone, 8310, and now bold), i honestly have found the bold to be the most advanced and best built berry. my 8300s constantly creaked, even when brand new...

the only trim that doesnt line up very well is the camera opening in the battery door. it doesnt block the camera, but it doesnt line up perfectly either. other than that, the battery life is as good as my curve 8320 was with similar use. im not a media fiend, so i dont kill the processor with that kind of use... i leave bluetooth, wifi on and use sms and email about 100+ per day. the metal ring around the rest of the device seems well engineered and sturdy thus far. i particularly enjoy the faux leather backing to assist in scratch reduction of the battery door without the need for a skin, or other case, etc.

as for mobile network connection issues... i have had perfect signal quality in my current area (charleston wv). im not really in an advanced city, and was thus surprised to have such a good connection (both speed and connection maintenance). i will be in EDGE-only territory this weekend and ill see how that works out. the wifi has picked up within seconds of being near a hotspot without any problems and performs as well as my 8320 did on wifi. i miss UMA though.

as for the keyboard, i really find the softer touch to provide more feedback and less strain on my fingers. i find it more a device of luxury for the finger pads! :-) the harsh clicking on the curve got annoying in quiet places.. also, the paint on every curve keyboard ive had began to wear off within a few months.

the vibrate function isnt as strong as other devices, but ive found that i check the phone so regularly anyway that im only a few minutes off from any incoming message anyway.

so, with all that said, i think the bold is a great device in moving forward from the curve. it may not be the best, or even better (according to some), but i think its great, particularly the screen clarity and quality of the image and video. processor speed is wonderful (very quick in opening medical software programs i need as a doctor).

perhaps i just got a good one?

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    After one week of truly trying to like my Bold, I'm done with it.

Here are the problem areas that caused me to give up my Bold.

1) WiFi performance: Would not connect reliably and stay connected
    2) Browser: Required resetting to optimize use of 3G or WiFi
    3) Batt Door: Poor latch, marginal materials and build quality
    4) Call Quality: Very inconsistent, ranging from great to mediocre at best.
    5) Battery: Life was quite variable, and simply not long enough
    6) Build Quality: Unacceptable for a top of the line BlackBerry
    7) Speed: 3G was slow at times, unlike my other 3G smartphones on AT&T
    8) Keyboard: Soft key presses, lack of tactile feedback
    9) Connectivity: Two much "hunting" between 3G and EDGE
    10) Browser: Poor page rendering
    11) OS: Too buggy, requiring updates frequently
    12) Chrome Surround: Poor material choice, flimsy, prone to damage

I'm now enjoying my trusty, reliable, 12 mo old, good as new Curve 8310, more than ever!

Cheers...
    That's sad to hear archer. Well, hopefully the buggy OS, battery door, and wifi/3G/edge connection will all be fixed with a new os and production tweeks.

What are your plans for your bold?

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by joewoo View Post
    i agree that the materials used make the bold feel cheap... esp for top of the line.. buuut.. i have a case on mine... and it makes it feel like a tank...

im very mixed about the keyboard... its just.... different..

the battery needs work... mine barely lasts the day for me... and even then, i have to go light for the last 2 hours.. but nothing an extended battery cant fix...
    I am very interested to know how bad the bold battery is. I mean, I charge my phone every night, so having the phone go for more than a day without a charge isn't necessary. I mean, are we talking 12pm half way dead problem?

Is this something that can be corrected in a future OS?

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    I've been heavily using mine today. Showing it off. Playing video. Hours of phone calls. Wifi and bluetooth. its lasted since 630am. Its 1030 now and I have 35% remaining.

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ hmmm...good to know jzarowitz!

PIN/ID
    LESS
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yeah mine feels great! Battery is the same when compared to my 8820. Browsing is great. 3g and wifi stay connected and no inconsistency with the voice/call quality.
    All my bb's felt cheap but as many have stated they all seem to take a great beating and still work as if it were day one.

Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    perhaps i just got a good one?
    I would say you deed indeed get a "good one", so celebrate as I'm truly happy that your good to go.

That said, I do feel that the Bold is a very good model. I will be the first to admit that as a serious tech lover / engineer / early adopter, I'm sure that many aspects of the Bold that bothered me are things that other users would not find that objectionable. Obviously we all have difference preferences and needs. Unfortunately the features I needed (not wanted, but truly needed) like reliable 3G and WiFi connectivity were simply too buggy. Plus I always have a new ThinkPad laptop with me, so if I cannot enjoy the convenience of walking into a Starbucks with my WiFi equipped BB, or using it at home, or my office, then it defeats the purpose. I might as well be using my Curve 8310. I live on WiFi when it comes to my internet connection as I have T-1 coming into my home with WiFi upstairs and down, at my office, at the business hotels I stay at, thus you can see my need for WiFi.

Enjoy your Bold !

Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    What are your plans for your bold?
    I gave it to someone who needed a new BlackBerry and really appreciated it....

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E

I was kinda shocked at this post I seen
    Yes, everyone has their own opinion, I'm not denying that but
    After getting OS 162+ the Bold has been nothing short other then perfection
    Not a single error, holds 3G all the time, battery is less then curve yes
    But that's the cost of 3G, don't like it, simply change to 2G mode only (rogers allows that)
    Even on 2G aka EDGE, its still very fast, I came from a curve 8330 and I love the Bold in every way

Makes me wonder if other providers other then rogers are having these problems
    Because I fail to see any of the issues people are complaining about

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    None of these devices are made to the quality standards I would like to see but it is a fact of life. These devices are disposable and are not made to last for more than a year or two. The Curve is no different, feels like a piece of plastic. Most surfaces are painted so you know they will not last.

The last phone, I had, that felt like it would last for years was the Nextel Blackberry 7520. It felt and was build like a tank. The plastic was Motorola's best with the same color all the way thru so if you scratched it it would not even show. After using the same RIM 7520 for over 3 years the only wear I could fine was were the texture on the plastic had become a little shiney. You had to hold it in the light just right to see that. It was not a pretty phone but you could drop it and not even see a scratch! After the 75xx series, RIM went to a cheaper designed cases which looked more fancy but at the price of durability.

The Bold is just another phone, a good one at that but I am already not in as much love with it as I was two months ago when I got it. I learned long ago that the "new car" thing does wear off as it will for you too! If it does not then, well . . . . . my phone is to use. I depend on it for my company communications, it is not a Holy device that needs to be keep perfect but only a tool! I enjoy it for what it does for me every day. I has the best RF perfomance, speaker quality and screen of any RIM device I have used.

End or rant and sorry for the typing errors!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast