I own a Bold 9000 for a year. Is an excellent phone from the point ... BlackBerry Bold forum

henshaw no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    215E6C39

Bold Memory related problems

Advertisement

I own a Bold 9000 for a year. Is an excellent phone from the point of view of sending & receiving email messages. Has some serious Architectural flaws: 1. Cannot store apps on the phone memory or media card (an absolute tragedy!) 2.The application Memory ( a paltry 128 mbs!) does not allow for downloading of more than one decent app and one decent theme!(quite pathetic!) Blackberry is not even ready to acknowledge this as a problem!
    ANY SOLUTIONS ARE WELCOME!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack, henshaw! I have moved your post to a more appropriate thread where you will draw more attention.

To address your questions:

1. You can definitely store apps on your device AND your media card. You canNOT however run the apps from the media card. There is an app you can get from a company called Aerize that will assist you in moving the apps from the card to the device so that you CAN run them. But you can definitely store and run them directly on the device. Perhaps if you described the apps you're trying to download/run, we can be of further assistance.

2. Most apps and themes are relatively, so to say that you can't download more than one is a mis-statement. When I had my 8310 which has half the memory of your 9000, I had several apps and themes. Again, please let us know what you are trying to accomplish and we can try and help you sort it out.

PIN/ID
    215E6C39
    Dear RogerG,

Let me start by wishing you a Very Happy 2011!

Thank you for your patience and your response!And thank you for placing this thread where it will get more attention.

Quite frankly, I have been quite frustrated with the lack of response from RIM; some of it spilled out on my previous thread.

Let me detail the problem I am facing. The memory in the Blackberry Bold 9000 is divided into:
    Application Memory - 128 MB
    Device Memory - 1 GB of which in my case 859.2 MB is in use and 779.2 MB is Free
    Media Card - I have a 4 GB Media Card of which 3.6 GB is the space available and 3.2 GB is Free

All the Apps or Themes that I have ever downloaded is through Blackberry App World - To name a few that were in use (Third Party -Time, World Mate,Google Mobile Apps,Google Maps,Lookout,) (Add-On & Core - BB Messenger,Brick Breaker,Documents ToGo,Help, Memo Pad,Word Mole,BB 5.0 OS,Browser, Email Setup,Phone)
    The theme/Apps automatically gets downloaded on the Application Memory and within a matter of 48 to 72 hours it leaks to 0 MB. A hard boot (removal of the battery) restores it to 16 MB and the story repeats itself. Also, to give you an idea of my Email store; these are kept for no more than 15 days.And I receive on an average of 25 emails a day and 5 Texts messages and my emails Gmail inbox are also deleted on a daily basis. My Service provider in this part of the world - Vodafone suggested I conduct a wipe-out. I did this and the Application Memory went up to 40 MB and then steadily drained out. As I write out this message it is at 5.1 MB.
    I am delighted that there is a way to store apps and themes on the Phone device and media. Would request you to please show me a step by step method in which this can be done.It would really open a world which has been so far closed.

Thanks is a very small word!

Look forward to hearing from You,
    Henshaw

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    On the 9780, you can set the email option on the device to keep the emails from 15 days up to Forever if you go to Messages>Options>Message Display and Actions. Scroll down to After Sound or Vibration, you will see "Days To Keep Messges" with the option to change the number of days. It might be slightly different for the original Bold.

PIN/ID
    215E6C39

Smile

Thanks Erica!

The phone is already on the 15 days setting!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    henshaw, thanks for your detailed explanation. Unfortunately, the older BlackBerry devices are notorious for such memory leaks, even a relatively newer one like the 9000. The only thing you can do to keep it from doing that is regular housekeeping such as clearing your browser cache, deleting call logs, e-mails, texts, etc.

If you click on the Technical Support Blog link in my signature, you'll find a couple of threads dedicated to freeing up memory on older devices. Thankfully, they seem to have resolved a lot of this with the newer devices, but until you can upgrade your device, you're stuck with the housecleaning.

As for the storing apps on the media card, the application is called Aerize Card Loader. It's not free, but may prove useful to you. You can get it here. Again, you cannot run apps from your media card, but you can store them there and move them from the card to the device to run them when you want.

Hope this helps!