Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Ive had my Bold for quite a while now and Ive always had a problem ... BlackBerry Bold forum

janie215 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256A910E

Bold keeps switching off

Advertisement

Ive had my Bold for quite a while now and Ive always had a problem with it turning itself off.

Ive been keeping an eye out on these boards for anyone having similar problems, which there have been.

Ive updated OS, downgraded OS, put card around the battery to stop it being loose and every other thing that anyone has ever mentioned.

Still it keeps turning itself off. It does it probably 2 or 3 times a day.

Can anyone offer any new advice?

Janie

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Do you notice whether it happens while you're using it, like do you see it happen or do you just pick it up an notice that it's powered off? I ask because my daughter noticed her Curve turning itself off occasionally when she simply lays it down with a "soft bump." (Does that make sense?)

I suspect a "loose connection" of some kind, maybe in a circuit board but she hasn't tried to replace it. You may just have a bad unit - if you can reproduce the problem, it might be time to take it back and ask for a new one.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Hi, thanks for that. It does happen when its been put down, usually if its not been touched for say 15 minutes.

Is there a holster (with a "sleep" magnet" involved? Is this a complete shutoff where you have to literally power up - i.e. takes some time to boot up? - or could it be a "lock" or "standby" of some sort?

I'm not doubting what you say - just trying to make sure it's a true power off, and if so, does the Bold have any type of security option that allows it to power off after a certain time? (I'm not aware of that function on any BB but the new devices ARE a little different.)

Honestly, I'm stumped unless you're dealing with a faulty handset.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

rajafarhan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20F44149
    Did you check the auto On/Off settings in the options?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    It is like a standby, I have to turn it back on but comes back to life pretty quickly. I will check the On/Off settings. Thanks

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    The only on/off settings I can find are the auto on/off which is all fine. To be honest, thinking about it, its quite random and sometimes it will go for a few hours and not turn off other times only 10 minutes

OK. Check your options to see if you have it set to "stand-by" or lock or ? after a few minutes.

UPDATE: Well, at least it's not a power off. I don't know all the new options but I'd look for something that puts it on a stand-by/sleep mode after no activity. Is the variable in time possibly because of pushed email activity or some other things (that you don't check but never the less) that keeps it "active?"
    Last edited by jblackfish; 04-25-2009 at 11:01 AM.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Nope, tried everything cant find any setting for sleep mode or stand by.

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    Have you tried formatting your media card? It's a common problem that nobody thinks about until someone asks. Just my thoughts.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Thanks, will try that now. Will I lose everything?

Quote Originally Posted by janie215 View Post
    Thanks, will try that now. Will I lose everything?
    Yes! Back up all your stuff on your pc first. Sorry, didn't mention that the first time. Let us know if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by getsugatensho View Post
    Yes! Back up all your stuff on your pc first. Sorry, didn't mention that the first time. Let us know if it works.
    I'll be curious to know if it works too Janie. That's a weird one I didn't know about. Good luck!

Normally it happens when you upgrade with the card still in. But for me, I bought my pearl and put my card in and it worked for a week or so, then started turning off. My friends was doing the same thing, and he took it to our carrier, and they're actually the ones that thought of that. And that was my problem.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Ok Im trying it now, will let you know

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast