Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

in Bolds Defence i wouldnt base on what people are talking about on the forums ... BlackBerry Bold forum

  1. #16
    xaroc's Avatar
    xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    Posts
    236

    Advertisement



    in Bolds Defence i wouldnt base on what people are talking about on the forums because most people come to the forums when they have problems, thus wouldnt need to come here unless just feel like wasting some times trying to fix other peoples problems.

  2. #17
    jimdab's Avatar
    jimdab no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    70
    So the Bold manufacturing quality is like the lottery? I would think that if there were issues they have been resolved by now. Maybe a good option for you would be to wait a few weeks so that you get the newest manufactured Bolds since that might take care of the issues you are worried about.

    Sorry for suggesting the Bold again, don't bite my head off! This is a Bold 9000 forum after all and nearly everyone here is excited to have just got their Bolds in the last few days. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

  3. #18
    Karlos16UK's Avatar
    Karlos16UK no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by xaroc View Post
    in Bolds Defence i wouldnt base on what people are talking about on the forums because most people come to the forums when they have problems, thus wouldnt need to come here unless just feel like wasting some times trying to fix other peoples problems.
    A good point but when very respected and experienced users like Archer post of build quality and operational issues I for one take them seriously. I'll bet that for every disappointed user there are a number of satisfied ones hence I didn't want this to be an I love it/hate it thread.

    In my mind unless my provider can convince me otherwise the Bold is off the shortlist and I am asking for alternatives.

    Thanks

  4. #19
    Karlos16UK's Avatar
    Karlos16UK no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by jimdab View Post
    So the Bold manufacturing quality is like the lottery? I would think that if there were issues they have been resolved by now.

    Really? read Archers post regarding units he trialled very recently mate.


    Quote Originally Posted by jimdab View Post
    Maybe a good option for you would be to wait a few weeks so that you get the newest manufactured Bolds since that might take care of the issues you are worried about.
    You might be right with this advice and maybe not. I find I am incredulous that we the customer should have to put up with this level of service from an established company in the market. I am not prepared to gamble with the Bold.


    Quote Originally Posted by jimdab View Post
    Sorry for suggesting the Bold again, don't bite my head off! This is a Bold 9000 forum after all and nearly everyone here is excited to have just got their Bolds in the last few days. Good luck with whatever you end up with.
    I hope I haven't bitten anybodys head off Jim and certainly would not get on my high horse with your response. I put the thread here because it seemed relevant and I guessed most of you would be experienced users who would be able to compare the virtues of the Bold and previous models and thus give me good alternatives using that experience against my requirements. I wanted the Bold quite keenly and I am sorry the reports here and eleswhere are less than favourable

    Thanks again Jim

  5. #20
    jblackfish's Avatar
    jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,116
    Quote Originally Posted by xaroc View Post
    .............in Bolds Defence i wouldnt base on what people are talking about on the forums because most people come to the forums when they have problems, thus wouldnt need to come here unless just feel like wasting some times trying to fix other peoples problems.
    ...and not everyone is here to either fix a problem or help someone else fix one.

    A lot of users come here to find out how to do new things and take advantage of the features of their BB. I first came here to ask how to do several things or do them better. Not really problems at all.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos16UK View Post
    A good point but when very respected and experienced users like Archer post of build quality and operational issues I for one take them seriously. I'll bet that for every disappointed user there are a number of satisfied ones hence I didn't want this to be an I love it/hate it thread.

    In my mind unless my provider can convince me otherwise the Bold is off the shortlist and I am asking for alternatives.

    Thanks
    I believe Archer is indeed an amazing asset to the stacks and i value his always spot on opinion and his friendship but in this case im going to have to go with the fact that he might just have had BAD luck with his devices.
    Ive handled about 30+ Bolds by now and none of them have any of the issues he refers to.
    In Archer's defense though i will say, Again, that those are all Rogers Bolds on the Rogers network and that i cannot speak about Archer's experience since it involved one Rogers Bold on ATT network and two or three ATT Bolds on ATT network.
    I will give you that tho, Archer is always correct!

  7. #22
    Karlos16UK's Avatar
    Karlos16UK no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    43
    I think the key word is "devices" One dodgy unit might be seen as unfortunate, two as unlucky but three/four is cause for concern. It does appear that the Rogers home sold units are of a better build quality from what I have read.

  8. #23
    jblackfish's Avatar
    jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,116
    Whatever is true in all of this, and Karlos obviously recognizes it, is that Archer is speaking from experience and IS an authority with these devices simply because he owns them, tries them out and makes accurate reports on them.

    We value his opinions/evaluations as well as his many other contributions to Pinstack.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

  9. #24
    jimdab's Avatar
    jimdab no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos16UK View Post
    I hope I haven't bitten anybodys head off Jim and certainly would not get on my high horse with your response. I put the thread here because it seemed relevant and I guessed most of you would be experienced users who would be able to compare the virtues of the Bold and previous models and thus give me good alternatives using that experience against my requirements. I wanted the Bold quite keenly and I am sorry the reports here and eleswhere are less than favourable

    Thanks again Jim

    I guess you really didn't. But yeah I like my Bold and would suggest to our next president that he upgrades as well.

  10. #25
    Karlos16UK's Avatar
    Karlos16UK no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    43
    Thanks Jim

  11. #26
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Archer is speaking from experience.
    We value his opinions/evaluations as well as his many other contributions to Pinstack.
    @ jblackfish, thank you for your vote of confidence.

    Cheers...


  12. #27
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Here's my take on the subjects of functionality and quality. RIM is in the midst of a fierce attack from competitors that it formally had not faced. Once RIM decided to enter the consumer market place with the very successful Pearl, they found themselves with an entirely new set of challenges. When I evaluate a new model of BlackBerry there are many considerations that go into my reports here on the forum. Even though I am formally educated with masters degrees from MIT in electrical engineering and computer science, I remain mindful of the superior talents of those at RIM. I have a very good understanding of just what it is that they are faced with, in the R&D and production of these devices. Thus when I write an evaluation, I give every benefit of the doubt to RIM, (or any other company, whose product I'm evaluating).

    Despite RIM's best efforts of the past, they are just that. Efforts that were expended in the creation of corporate devices, largely aimed at the enterprise and government sectors. With market dominance, brilliant devices that were and are, very secure, stable, and reliable, they had it all. Now as they battle in the consumer space the challenges are quite different. Whereas the corp. space was well defined in terms of a certain feature set that was needed, in the consumer space it's fickle. It's up to consumer demands that are wildly variable.

    It's no longer good enough to produce a world class mobile communications device, but rather a device that does everything that past BB's are known for and more. It's about entertainment, video, audio, camera's etc. A challenge unlike RIM has faced in the past. Thus they are bound to fall into the same trap as others which is to push a device out into the hands of the public before it's truly ready. Contrary to the RIM of the past which would never do that, their corporate customers had patience, were not impulse buyers, and did not replace devices with the nonchalant off hand disposable attitude of some of today's consumers.


  13. #28
    Female_MC's Avatar
    Female_MC no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    PIN/ID
    24A2C570
    Posts
    276
    Very well written Archer!

    I'd say go with a Curve.
    It was my very first BB and the battery life is awesome.

    Mine usually lasts way more than 8 hrs a day.

    Hope this helps,

    Female_MC

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    @ jblackfish, thank you for your vote of confidence.

    Cheers...
    yeah because my vote of confidence isnt worth anything right archer? i see ... lol

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Here's my take on the subjects of functionality and quality. RIM is in the midst of a fierce attack from competitors that it formally had not faced. Once RIM decided to enter the consumer market place with the very successful Pearl, they found themselves with an entirely new set of challenges. (...) to the RIM of the past which would never do that, their corporate customers had patience, were not impulse buyers, and did not replace devices with the nonchalant off hand disposable attitude of some of today's consumers.
    Great read as always ! really concise and to the point!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •