Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Before I commit to buying any major item I do a good deal of research ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Karlos16UK no está en línea Stack level 2

Bold: Hardly a hit with it's users so what are my options

Advertisement

Before I commit to buying any major item I do a good deal of research and have to say this forum has been very helpful if a tad bewildering

Overall for one reason or another this forum should have RIM very concerned because the majority of posters seem to me to have issues operationally or with the build quality of their flagship offering.

Some people in fairness have got units that work brilliantly where the build is ok but overall, here and on other forums I have researched the unit seems unreliable and poorly built. Calls saying that the next version will be better are quite frankly alarming. I want something I can turn on from day one that works flawlessly, reflects the cost, and is built to last under heavy use for a year at least.

Before anyone wants to have a go and starts posting how their Bold is great and the Bold is the best ever, please this is not another thread asking for opinions or experiences of the Bold, rather I am asking for real alternatives that will work out of the box.

I need the following

Email with the ability to open and edit attachments

Easy internet access with a screen large enough to make browsing worthwhile

Wifi 3g 2g etc. connectivity that is either easily selected manually or automatically selects wifi when available but not one that keeps switching between the two when browsing or loses connection.

A stable system that doesn't drop connection to the web or calls.

Good easy keyboard to use and operating system

Good build quality that is not using me as a buyer to finance the next "improved" version

Lastly a good phone with great sound quality

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Excellent well written post with very specific questions. A great example for all readers to follow.
    My best suggestion knowing exactly what you want, is to wait. Unfortunately that may not be what either of us prefer, as I have those exact same needs myself. However after owning three Bold models, & giving them a very fair & comprehensive testing & evaluation, I can honestly say in all fairness to RIM & the users, this model needs more work before it will meet the performance criteria that RIM claims it does. I presently have every currently available BlackBerry model. Not only as available through my primary carrier (AT&T) but my secondary carrier & others as I am now up to 4 lines. After using multiple BlackBerry models concurrently over the last few years my experience has revealed that typically its the second generation model that is well sorted out, & performs brilliantly. I am presently composing this message from my Curve 8310 which is the 2nd gen to the 8300. My 8300 was fraught with problems, whereas this 8310 is just over a year old now & has served as my "main" BlackBerry the entire time. Handling 60~80 emails per day as well as all my other business as I travel. Therefore I can say with confidence, if you can wait for a second gen Bold that is the ideal plan. If not, the best unit currently available to meet some but not all your needs listed is an 8310 or 8320.
    As a final note, I also have most every other smartphone currently available. I have found that Sybian, Windows Mobile, or Linux powered devices such as the N series Nokia's, Moto-Q, various Samsungs, or G1 will not do the job like a BlackBerry. Thus in terms of platform there is no question. BlackBerry is the way to go, thus the only question is which model.
    I hope this information helps you.
    Cheers
    Via BlackBerry 8310

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Man! This thread is a model to all...and so interesting to read! Thanks to you both for a great question and a great answer. (I hate to soil it by adding my comments but felt I had to state my opinion.)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    I have been using the Bold for a week now and I will provide me with my feedback on eack of your questions.

Email with the ability to open and edit attachments...I open, read, create..etc etc. on the average of 300 emails a day from my BB. I sometimes need to review and edit documents on the fly...which i have found pretty easy with the bold....keep in mind this are basic documents...these aren't 5 page Excel spreadsheets...To date I havent had any problems with my bold concerning your questions

I am very impressed with the browser, some dont like it because they are use to the old BB Browser....but I love the zoom...full page views...screen is large enough to view most well formatted pages

Wifi 3g 2g etc. connectivity that is either easily selected manually or automatically selects wifi when available but not one that keeps switching between the two when browsing or loses connection.
    Set it and forget it is what I found...I have it setup and at work and home and when I come into range it connects i never notice when it drops in and out...

I had one drop call and have issues in one area in LA....but i had that with my curve...

Good easy keyboard to use and operating system...
    Can't say enough about the keyboard....I loved the curve keyboard...but the bold keyboard is super smooth...very comfy...OS takes time to get use to cuz things are in different places and there are a few more options.

Good build quality that is not using me as a buyer to finance the next "improved" version....
    price is a bit high for the quality of the device...the battery cover seems a bit cheap and the SD card cover is a bit cheap....but I have a rubber case on my bold and dont open and close those two "door" much....other then that I have no issues with the build.

Lastly a good phone with great sound quality....
    Amazing sound....both on ear piece and speaker....speaker sounds like it has surround sound with the 3 ports to edjuct the sound from...

I hope this helps you some.....I think the hype around the bold was so built up that people expected a flawless device.....and well thats just not going to happen unless each device is hand built....which isn't the case....for me and a IT Admin who has emails and alerts from all his servers hitting my BB I found that this device is far better then my 8310....and I loved that device....my battery life is about the same...I charge it everynight due to the high amount of emails....but I did that on my 8310 as well..
    Last edited by jblackfish; 11-09-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: font color
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

Thanks for the great replies guys you are too kind.

Ice thanks for the input but I did say I did'nt want experiences of using the Bold or this will just become a love it/hate it thread and that's not what I am looking for. I need options other than the bold. I am glad yours seems fine but too many people have had too many problems with theirs for me to consider one at present.

If I want to take a gamble I'll buy a lottery ticket, and if I want to invest in a company's product development I'll buy shares; not buy an inferior unit that is not "Flawless" just so they can in time bring out a unit that works, making the one I bought worthless.

I think you are confusing flawless operation and build quality. Every mobile I have ever used has had some issues from time to time and I have been a user since the days when they were the size of house bricks so I am an experienced user over many platforms. All that said the Bold has such a wide spectrum of quality in delivered units that I can have no confidence that the unit I receive will be of merchantable quality. It will cost me $400 to have my current car kit removed and a suitable one for the Bold installed in my car and that will need to be done on day one (I cannot stand being a Spock lookalike with a Bluetooth headset stuck in my ear) so I don't want to lay out hundreds of pounds for a new phone and car kit only to find i've bought a dog of a unit that will then either cost me an arm and a leg to dump, or mean being shackled with for a year or more.

So thanks again for your input Ice but if we could please keep this to anything but the Bold1 I would be grateful

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via 8120 (wap.pinstack.com)~

I can vouch for wanting a stable BlackBerry. While I have never owned a Bold, my issue was the first generation Pearl, the 8100. I had 3 of them last year.

Software crashes killed the first 2 within 7 months. I was always getting JVM errors, random shutdowns, reboots, hourglasses, etc. None of the OS upgrades gave a flawless performance. Phone quality and build were great.
    Just the software problems dulled the experience.

I have since switched to the 8120 (May 6, 2008). I have loved it from day one. I have had a few issues, just not as bad as the 8100. I nearly had to replace it back in June this year but it worked itself out to where I was able to keep the phone.

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f
    My first bold had some issues with build quality. It ran like a champ, no issues with dropping WiFi or whatever issues other people here are having. Yesterday i exchanged my bold for a new one at AT&T. As of now, this new one is perfect. No creaking bezel, no shifty battery door, so far no issues. While I was exchanging the Bold, I switched my SIM back into my curve. Wow is all I could say. I could not stand using it. The most noticeable thing was the speed! After boot it felt like 3 minutes before the curve was up to useable speed, whereas the bold, which started up in no time, was ready to be used immediately. Battery life is certainly less than the curve, but really I can deal with that. It is by no means bad, just not as good as the curve. I have chargers all over my house and in my car so battery life is really a non-issue, at least for me.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm going to recommend (with Archer) either the 8310 of the 8320, depending on whether you prefer GPS or wi-fi. I currently use the 8320 for backup and the 8330 as my primary. I keep the unlocked 8320 for travel, browsing and a spare line and the 8330 (CDMA) as my primary because I can get a signal almost anywhere with it and the GPS is great to have.

As far as I know the 8310, 20 and 30 are very stable units. One last thing, although the wi-fi is convenient, fun and, at one time, was my primary phone, I'd lean toward the 8310 with GPS if you can use it at all in your travels. Good luck in your quest.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f
    If you have never used the bold, then by all means go for a curve(8310 would be my choice, but if you prefer WiFi, then go for the 8320). AT&T is supposed to be releasing the 8320 in blue very soon I believe, and the blue is the best color IMO.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos16UK View Post
    Ice thanks for the input but I did say I did'nt want experiences of using the Bold or this will just become a love it/hate it thread and that's not what I am looking for.

I understand your wanting input on what would be the best device for you....but how can you ask the question of WHAT IS BEST FOR ME or I NEED OTHER OPTIONS if you haven't had someone that uses the device in the same ways you do...
    How can you ask for a try WHAT IS BEST if you can't have both sides state facts ?

I simple tried to give you the Pros and Cons of both the bold and my former 8310 devices....
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I would definitely recommend the 8320 as well. Go for it you wont be disappointed and i believe this makes me the 4th person to recommend it.
    Sorry if my post is tiny in this world of giants but pretty much everything has been covered

Quote Originally Posted by ice44 View Post
    I understand your wanting input on what would be the best device for you....but how can you ask the question of WHAT IS BEST FOR ME or I NEED OTHER OPTIONS if you haven't had someone that uses the device in the same ways you do...
    How can you ask for a try WHAT IS BEST if you can't have both sides state facts ?

I simple tried to give you the Pros and Cons of both the bold and my former 8310 devices....

Thanks again Ice but I thought I had made myself very clear that because of the lottery where quality control is concerned, I have decided against the Bold and hence specifically asked posters not to respond with Bold experiences. Either I wasn't clear enough or you missed the point but that matters not.

It matters not a jot how great your experience with the Bold has been because at this time my interest in the Bold has waned because they simply cannot guarantee to deliver a unit that will be built properly and will operate satisfactorily within the parameters they have advertised and I have set.

Thanks once again

Thanks so far guys it looks as though the 8320 is the one to go for

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos16UK View Post
    I need the following

Email with the ability to open and edit attachments

Good easy keyboard to use and operating system

Good build quality that is not using me as a buyer to finance the next "improved" version

Lastly a good phone with great sound quality
    I started with the Brick Phone and have gone through too many too remember and have yet to find ^^that^^ phone or smart phone. If the carriers could improve it may appear someday. Where one carrier has great call connections is lacks in a phone with web browser. If they happen to offer a great O.S they have always dropped calls. My point is they have always lacked in at least one of those features and have not been able to put together a complete package.

Funny thing about that is this very delima is what keeps us (me) buying new phones with new features and new O.S's looking for that one perfect phone for me in my service area.
    Last edited by srl7741; 11-09-2008 at 02:08 PM.

caboose06 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GoGrEEn!
    the 8320 would probably be best choice seeing as how it does just about everything that you are asking for in a very stable and efficient manner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast