Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by archer6 Frankly I cannot remember if we've talked computers much as this ... BlackBerry Bold forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Frankly I cannot remember if we've talked computers much as this is our BB forum, but briefly I must share this. The nature of my business is such that I have always been mobile. From 1991 forward I've used a laptop as my main computer. My first "notebook" was the very first Apple notebook: PowerBook 140, I've upgraded to a new PowerBook at every new model release thereafter. I did not use a PC based laptop until 1998 (ThinkPad 600) due to business demands, at which point I began a dual track usage pattern, ThinkPads for work, PowerBooks / MacBook Pros for personal. I'm currently using a four mo. old dual boot MacBook Pro running OS X Leopard & Ubuntu Linux 8.04 [pure NerdVana.....]
    Oops... excuse me hayden... back on topic and to those oh so wonderful BlackBerrys, it may not be the latest model, but I'm still loving my 8310...
    Not to go off topic but i definitely see what you mean and yeah i have had to use Windows computers for work and Macs for personal use but THANK GOD Apple decided to switch to an intel based system and that just allowed me to ditch my ugly,heavy old HP windows laptop and just run all 3 OSs (same as you) on my new MB as well as on my Air, and MBP in the past!
    Now back to the topic - 99$ Bold would be a great move from RIM but they are not even able to cover cost (i believe it was said in that article that the bold costs 170 to produce?) if they do that so yeah ... not gonna happen

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyj62 View Post
    Good post!! I still dont think i would buy the iphone even if Apple cut the price....I am extremely happy with my Curve and dont see getting away from BB any time soon! Just wish TMO would get first crack at some of the new BB's coming out!!!
    Pearl Flip 8220 and Most likely Javelin 8900

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ccostel View Post
    Would a move like selling the iPhone for $99 be enough to cause RIM's weak stock price to tumble even more. So much that they would be susceptible to a takeover. I think I have seen such a rumor where Microsoft was interested, but as Ranxoren stated the iPhone is lacking in the email area. Apple could gobble up the competition and improve their product in the same bite.
    I truly hope that doesn't come to pass.
    Brilliant thought!

Not as in: good I hope it happens, but as in: Brilliant for you to think of this concept. You beat me to the punch on this one and now have me giving this potential scenario some serious consideration. Especially since I too have been following the minimal press on the Microsoft / RIM speculation. Off the cuff, my first thought is I would hope that if we see Apple go to a $99 iPhone that Rim would immediately respond by slashing the price of the Bold to price match, even if it cost them money to do so. After all that is the business model that Toyota used to bring the Prius into the market place. The first production run cost Toyota $32,000 per car, on a vehicle that retailed for $19,999. Thus they subsidized a huge amount on each car sold. However as we all know now, the car is highly sought after and Toyota is making a handsome profit on a per vehicle basis. It's currently their highest gross profit generating model. So I would be impressed to see RIM respond to the price threat immediately, while behind the scenes they revisit the mfg costs of the Bold, and make the needed adjustments to bring them inline, so as to continue to offer a retail price of $199 to as much as $249 maximum. Thereby keeping the Bold a viable model.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Brilliant thought!

Not as in: good I hope it happens, but as in: Brilliant for you to think of this concept. You beat me to the punch on this one and now have me giving this potential scenario some serious consideration. Especially since I too have been following the minimal press on the Microsoft / RIM speculation. Off the cuff, my first thought is I would hope that if we see Apple go to a $99 iPhone that Rim would immediately respond by slashing the price of the Bold to price match, even if it cost them money to do so. After all that is the business model that Toyota used to bring the Prius into the market place. The first production run cost Toyota $32,000 per car, on a vehicle that retailed for $19,999. Thus they subsidized a huge amount on each car sold. However as we all know now, the car is highly sought after and Toyota is making a handsome profit on a per vehicle basis. It's currently their highest gross profit generating model. So I would be impressed to see RIM respond to the price threat immediately, while behind the scenes they revisit the mfg costs of the Bold, and make the needed adjustments to bring them inline, so as to continue to offer a retail price of $199 to as much as $249 maximum. Thereby keeping the Bold a viable model.
    but if they do that how much asre they going to sell the javelin for ? 99$ not even on sale ?
    the 8220 is priced at 149.99 at T-Mo and the Curve is still i believe 99$ right ?
    Apple can afford to do that because they only have one device.
    If RIM brings the price of the bold down they'll have to play with each and every other device's price as well.

blacktouch007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7B30C2E9
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    but if they do that how much asre they going to sell the javelin for ? 99$ not even on sale ?
    the 8220 is priced at 149.99 at T-Mo and the Curve is still i believe 99$ right ?
    Apple can afford to do that because they only have one device.
    If RIM brings the price of the bold down they'll have to play with each and every other device's price as well.
    well not only that, you have to remember the differences in the companies. RIM only does phones while apple and microsoft have there hand in everything. So apple can take the hit on the iphone because they will make up their profits in another market, correct me if im wrong. so what if RIM cant drop their prices on phones as well as apple can? can they afford that kind of hit? i mean they might already be bitting the bullet now for the prices they have out now for phones. when the iphone first came out it was 800, and even know that they slash the price they make up the cost through customer contracts.

great post btw really makes you think.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    thanks for the compliment but i have to say your post is as great you point out things that i didnt think off. Indeed Apple can make the money back somewhere else whereas rim cant. Great point.

Apple still has a way to go as far as relationships with a Carrier ... they play by fear because carrier BEG them to be able release the iPhone. Usually phone manufacturers approach carriers, Apple redefined the game.
    Now heres a little something not everybody knows ...
    You know how Apple is the "first" phone manufacturer to make profit everytime one of their phone is sold ? aka percentage off of the margin made by ATT on a contract sold ?
    What most people dont know is that behind the scenes and WAY less publicly, RIM has been doing this for years and Apple is therefore the 2nd company to be allowed that.
    Therefore, if RIM was to cut down on this margin they could maybe lower the prices of the handsets because the Carrier would pay them less ?

Catch my drift ?

PIN/ID
    7B30C2E9
    thanks for the compliment but i have to say your post is as great you point out things that i didnt think off. Indeed Apple can make the money back somewhere else whereas rim cant. Great point.

Apple still has a way to go as far as relationships with a Carrier ... they play by fear because carrier BEG them to be able release the iPhone. Usually phone manufacturers approach carriers, Apple redefined the game.
    Now heres a little something not everybody knows ...
    You know how Apple is the "first" phone manufacturer to make profit everytime one of their phone is sold ? aka percentage off of the margin made by ATT on a contract sold ?
    What most people dont know is that behind the scenes and WAY less publicly, RIM has been doing this for years and Apple is therefore the 2nd company to be allowed that.
    Therefore, if RIM was to cut down on this margin they could maybe lower the prices of the handsets because the Carrier would pay them less ?

Catch my drift ?
    yes i catch your drift, but wow never knew that. well that makes sense too when you put it that way. so they could cut in to there margin but how much are they willing to lose per phone and who knows how big there margin is to cut into is another factor. it will be interesting to see what RIM does.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    i dont think they will do anything related to what i said but they should and thats where my PR experience comes in lol :P
    Publicly announce a cut in our "extra" profit to make customers happier by cutting prices sounds delightful doesnt it ?

PIN/ID
    7B30C2E9
    yes it does. im all for it

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktouch007 View Post
    yes it does. im all for it
    well then get RIM to hire me! im all for it!

krosli no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    747101D2
    well then get RIM to hire me! im all for it!
    RIM will definately hire you. You are smart, brilliant, knowledgable....and the list go on and on and on.....

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    hahaha Krosli ... lol
    thanks for the compliments AND the sarcasm

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    but if they do that how much are they going to sell the javelin for ? 99$ not even on sale ? the 8220 is priced at 149.99 at T-Mo and the Curve is still i believe 99$ right ? Apple can afford to do that because they only have one device. If RIM brings the price of the bold down they'll have to play with each and every other device's price as well.
    well not only that, you have to remember the differences in the companies. RIM only does phones while apple and microsoft have there hand in everything. So apple can take the hit on the iphone because they will make up their profits in another market, correct me if im wrong. so what if RIM cant drop their prices on phones as well as apple can? can they afford that kind of hit? i mean they might already be bitting the bullet now for the prices they have out now for phones. when the iphone first came out it was 800, and even know that they slash the price they make up the cost through customer contracts. .
    What most people dont know is that behind the scenes and WAY less publicly, RIM has been doing this for years and Apple is therefore the 2nd company to be allowed that. Therefore, if RIM was to cut down on this margin they could maybe lower the prices of the handsets because the Carrier would pay them less ?
    yes i catch your drift, but wow never knew that. well that makes sense too when you put it that way. so they could cut in to there margin but how much are they willing to lose per phone and who knows how big there margin is to cut into is another factor. it will be interesting to see what RIM does.
    Kudos to both of you for this excellent debate of the various aspects related to the possible movement of the iPhone into the $99 price bracket. At the end of the day what all this means to me is that there will be some ramifications of this potential move on Apples part, even if they do not execute on the idea. At it's core, this "news item" may be nothing more than typical Apple posturing, which in this case should put the other makers on high alert, as a reminder of what Apple is capable of. RIM has got to be prepared for any sudden change in the dynamic from any competitor, especially price movement from Apple, or other competitor for that matter, as they go forward in this very challenging economic climate. With Apple being in the superior cash rich position, and being rather agile, they are certainly able to hop into the drivers seat at a whim, when it comes to pricing.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Kudos to both of you for this excellent debate of the various aspects related to the possible movement of the iPhone into the $99 price bracket. At the end of the day what all this means to me is that there will be some ramifications of this potential move on Apples part, even if they do not execute on the idea. At it's core, this "news item" may be nothing more than typical Apple posturing, which in this case should put the other makers on high alert, as a reminder of what Apple is capable of. RIM has got to be prepared for any sudden change in the dynamic from any competitor, especially price movement from Apple, or other competitor for that matter, as they go forward in this very challenging economic climate. With Apple being in the superior cash rich position, and being rather agile, they are certainly able to hop into the drivers seat at a whim, when it comes to pricing.
    Great answer and great way to wrap up one of the most interesting debates ive ever seen on the stacks!
    Thanks to everybody who was involved!

PIN/ID
    7B30C2E9
    [FONT=Verdana]OIC this could be a scare tactic of apple to see who bites first or to manipulate their power over the industry. very smart. [/FONT]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast