Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What? Only $99.00 Surely this must be a joke. Surely this must be a very ... BlackBerry Bold forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Bold goes on sale for $99.00

Advertisement

What? Only $99.00
    Surely this must be a joke.
    Surely this must be a very cruel joke.
    Perhaps Archers finally lost it...............?

For more see my Blog entry for today...Archers Blog...

bluefairy1971 no está en línea Stack level 3
    That was cruel!!! Very cruel!!!!
    "If You Don't Like Me Just Remember It's Mind Over Matter..I Don't Mind and You Dont Matter"

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Pfft!!, LOL

To which I say to you all, did you read the blog?
    Did you click on the source link to read the confirmation?
    Are you open minded enough to take this in and truly consider it's ramifications?
    If you ask me it's a bit scary.......

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    great post archer! i had read about those talks and wasnt sure if they were actually serious or not.
    Indeed Apple does have the stand to allow that and i dont see why they would be blamed if they did.
    Long is gone the company that Steve Jobs got out of bankruptcy in the 80's.
    Apple is the future as much as i would want to be able to say that about RIM i would only lie.
    Apple is the one taking the world by storm not rim or verizon lol.
    84% share in the mp3 player market. ONE single phone that is best seller in most countries at the moment. Computer shares going up constantly and an incredible staff with excellent customer service/support.
    Also the Apple Retail Stores around the world help that.
    The iPhone is now sold in as many places as any other smartphone now that BestBuy and Walmart also do sell it.
    A 99$ price cut would literally put Apple in my top 3 Smartest companies with the best marketing team out there ... not to say that they're not already #1.
    Great post Leo as always!

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    great post archer! i had read about those talks and wasnt sure if they were actually serious or not.
    Kudos and great post!

You have brought up points I had not included in my Blog. We have entered into a new period in the history of the mobile cellular phone, especially from a standpoint of pricing and value. You are so right, it is important we give credit, where credit is due and that clearly goes to Apple Inc. Currently they are the juggernaut of the industry, and rapidly gaining dominance at a lightning fast pace. The amount of "news" generated around the iPhone and the platform behind it is truly amazing. Another aspect of its evolution that is currently exploding with new R&D results is their focus on the enterprise. The very playground previously owned by RIM, is the target. A target that is about to be hit with it's greatest challenge ever. These are indeed interesting times and if RIM is following this as I expect them to be, it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Cheers!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Kudos and great post!

You have brought up points I had not included in my Blog. We have entered into a new period in the history of the mobile cellular phone, especially from a standpoint of pricing and value. You are so right, it is important we give credit, where credit is due and that clearly goes to Apple Inc. Currently they are the juggernaut of the industry, and rapidly gaining dominance at a lightning fast pace. The amount of "news" generated around the iPhone and the platform behind it is truly amazing. Another aspect of its evolution that is currently exploding with new R&D results is their focus on the enterprise. The very playground previously owned by RIM, is the target. A target that is about to be hit with it's greatest challenge ever. These are indeed interesting times and if RIM is following this as I expect them to be, it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Cheers!
    Interestingly enough, the iPhone's hardest market to hit was the US one, everywhere in the world people were begging Apple Inc. to release it and definitely showed appreciation.
    Lets take Rogers' example: we missed out on the first gen iPhones yet we saw that EVERYBODY in Canada was using an unlocked one.
    So we figured ok well get the second one right ? but a good point that was brought up was :doesnt everybody has an unlocked one ?
    Here are the numbers : In 4months, Rogers has activated 250,000 iPhones!
    Im pretty sure thats as much as a whole bunch of other phones put together.
    Again Apple is taking the world by Storm.

Now to the point that you brought up : the enterprise features/market.
    RIM is definitely going to get hit by this as the US Congress is testing the iPhone to be deployed, the French congress also dropped their phones for iPhones (Blackberrys are not AS popular in Europe as they are here in NAM - mind you they still use them a lot).
    The iPhone is actually really good for emails and VPN features and all.
    Its a really powerful device and as much as yes BB will always be better for emails because of the BIS/BES servers, Apple is really going forward with this and pushing it.
    It really wouldn't surprise me if we saw something similar to a BES server coming from Apple in the upcoming months/year.
    I have seen a LOT and i mean a LOT of graphic design companies or anything multimedia for that matter, drop their BB deployment in favor of an iPhone one. Why? Because the screen and the emailing capabilities of the iPhone are WAY better when it comes to THEIR needs.

Now does RIM have competition ? Definitely !

Is it the same market ? We always thought it wasn't - Trust me it is and it will be more and more !

I know RIM knows that - hence the Blackberry Storm - but they definitely have to move faster.

There! lots of reading for you archer!

Interestingly enough, the iPhone's hardest market to hit was the US one, everywhere in the world people were begging Apple Inc. to release it and definitely showed appreciation.
    Lets take Rogers' example: we missed out on the first gen iPhones yet we saw that EVERYBODY in Canada was using an unlocked one.
    So we figured ok well get the second one right ? but a good point that was brought up was :doesnt everybody has an unlocked one ?
    Here are the numbers : In 4months, Rogers has activated 250,000 iPhones!
    Im pretty sure thats as much as a whole bunch of other phones put together.
    Again Apple is taking the world by Storm!
    My company is international, with one of my overseas offices being in London. Another in Germany, so I was aware of some of what you posted, but not all. As always the synergy we have due our respective locations is fantastic.
    Perhaps the most enlightening info contained in your post here is the actual number of unlocked iPhones that Rogers activated in that 4 month period. Simply Staggering!
    Although I make every effort to be brand neutral, and the fact that I purchased the original iPhone at release, and then again the iPhone 3G at release, I must admit my preference for the BB platform to be one that I am biased towards. However that said, I too must get into acceptance of the growing progress and significance of the iPhone. For me it's a matter of setting aside my personal ethics when it comes to my dislike of Apples arrogance, misleading hype machine, et al. Because as I'm all too familiar with as a seasoned businessman, nothing is fair, and crushing the competition using every tactic known is the norm in so many cases. Certainly when it comes to Apple Inc.

ccostel no está en línea Stack level 3
    Very good points to both Ranxoren and Archer6, thank you.

You gotta give those marketting folks at Apple their props. They took a phone that doesn't even do voice dialing natively in either the first or second generation and are banging on RIM's door. I am told it doesn't even do the phone portion as well as it should.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    My company is international, with one of my overseas offices being in London. Another in Germany, so I was aware of some of what you posted, but not all. As always the synergy we have due our respective locations is fantastic.
    Perhaps the most enlightening info contained in your post here is the actual number of unlocked iPhones that Rogers activated in that 4 month period. Simply Staggering!
    Although I make every effort to be brand neutral, and the fact that I purchased the original iPhone at release, and then again the iPhone 3G at release, I must admit my preference for the BB platform to be one that I am biased towards. However that said, I too must get into acceptance of the growing progress and significance of the iPhone. For me it's a matter of setting aside my personal ethics when it comes to my dislike of Apples arrogance, misleading hype machine, et al. Because as I'm all too familiar with as a seasoned businessman, nothing is fair, and crushing the competition using every tactic known is the norm in so many cases. Certainly when it comes to Apple Inc.
    Ill start by saying that Indeed, Apple Inc. is KNOW to be everything you just mentionned but then again, can you blame them ?
    They have been the underdog for so long and people have had such incrediblely stupid prejudices about them. Even nowadays, i was talking with this gentleman i had a meeting with last week (wont name him or his company) and i had my new Aluminum Macbook and we started a discussion about Mac vs. PC - mind you i knew i was already winning lol - but all of his cons were basically things that Apple changed a while ago (no right click, no Office etc...).
    So Apple Inc. definitely has all those things to beat and if the only way to do that is to crush the competition then they have my go.
    Now Ill be honest with you, i did have a curve and went to the first iPhone for a while because of what i do. Got my curve back when i saw that the email functionnalities werent what i was looking for.
    I did, and so did you lol, gave Apple another chance when the iPhone 3G came out with the Enterprise features and obviously 3G but i went back to Blackberry the second i touched a Bold (i literally dropped my iPhone that day and got a Bold).
    And like you said, we do have to accept the growth of the iPhone and I am just waiting for the third iteration which will I'm sure blow us all away.

Now as far as their computers - they are god's gift to earth IMHO lol and I think you agree with me on that although i know about your Thinkpad addiction (which resembles my Macbook/Pro/Air addiction)

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Quote Originally Posted by ccostel View Post
    Very good points to both Ranxoren and Archer6, thank you.

You gotta give those marketting folks at Apple their props. They took a phone that doesn't even do voice dialing natively in either the first or second generation and are banging on RIM's door. I am told it doesn't even do the phone portion as well as it should.
    Very well said, and thanks for the acknowledgment!

Cheers
    archer

ccostel no está en línea Stack level 3
    Would a move like selling the iPhone for $99 be enough to cause RIM's weak stock price to tumble even more. So much that they would be susceptible to a takeover. I think I have seen such a rumor where Microsoft was interested, but as Ranxoren stated the iPhone is lacking in the email area. Apple could gobble up the competition and improve their product in the same bite.

I truly hope that doesn't come to pass.

Now as far as their computers - they are god's gift to earth IMHO lol and I think you agree with me on that although i know about your Thinkpad addiction (which resembles my Macbook/Pro/Air addiction)
    Frankly I cannot remember if we've talked computers much as this is our BB forum, but briefly I must share this. The nature of my business is such that I have always been mobile. From 1991 forward I've used a laptop as my main computer. My first "notebook" was the very first Apple notebook: PowerBook 140, I've upgraded to a new PowerBook at every new model release thereafter. I did not use a PC based laptop until 1998 (ThinkPad 600) due to business demands, at which point I began a dual track usage pattern, ThinkPads for work, PowerBooks / MacBook Pros for personal. I'm currently using a four mo. old dual boot MacBook Pro running OS X Leopard & Ubuntu Linux 8.04 [pure NerdVana.....]
    Oops... excuse me hayden... back on topic and to those oh so wonderful BlackBerrys, it may not be the latest model, but I'm still loving my 8310...

sparkyj62 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24acd57e
    Good post!! I still dont think i would buy the iphone even if Apple cut the price....I am extremely happy with my Curve and dont see getting away from BB any time soon! Just wish TMO would get first crack at some of the new BB's coming out!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast