Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Hi - I am a very happy BB Curve user since mid 2007. I am ... BlackBerry Bold forum

  1. #1
    Osprey's Avatar
    Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    69

    Bold - General advice needed

    Advertisement



    Hi -

    I am a very happy BB Curve user since mid 2007. I am being offered an upgrade to a new phone by my network in the UK and am attracted to the idea of a Bold.

    However, the network has already withdrawn Bolds from sale due to software problems. In addition, no one I talk to will confirm whether or not the Bold allows editing (not just viewing) of Microsoft Office docs (Word, Excel etc.), which would be a plus for me. I have also heard/read some negative reports concerning various glitches, low battery life etc.

    As the Bold is much more bulky than the Curve, it really has to have significant improvements to be a worthy replacement for what I am used to. In short, I am beginning to ask whether it is worth upgrading to the Bold, or if I should wait for a more significantly revolutionary model to come out.

    Can anyone enlighten me ?

    Many thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Unless you must do something now I would take a wait & see approach to the Bold. Wait until your carrier has the network issues resolved. Then see what the reports on the fourum say. The Bold is the most complicated BlackBerry in recent times. So there are bound to be a few issues, that when resolved will result in another very reliable BlackBerry. Theb again you could wait for the new 3G Curve 8900.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  3. #3
    Osprey's Avatar
    Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    69
    Thanks Archer6

  4. #4
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    You're Welcome!

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

  5. #5
    blackharleymike's Avatar
    blackharleymike no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PIN/ID
    2568EF6D
    Posts
    169
    Hi, here are my answers to your questions:
    1. The Bold as well as other devices allows editing MS Office Files with Documents to Go (OS 4.5.xx or higher is needed)
    2. The Bold is indeed much more bulky. I tested a Bold for a few days and gave it back to our IT-Department. I´m happy with my Pearl and looking forward to 2009.

  6. #6
    Osprey's Avatar
    Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    69
    Thanks BlackharleyMike.

    I thought that one of the few unique things about the Bold was that it came already equipped with the ability to edit Office docs; what you imply suggests that an extra piece of software is what enables this, as it does for other phones. Is this correct ? If so, the Bold per se begins to look less attractive.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Unless you must do something now I would take a wait & see approach to the Bold. Wait until your carrier has the network issues resolved. Then see what the reports on the fourum say. The Bold is the most complicated BlackBerry in recent times. So there are bound to be a few issues, that when resolved will result in another very reliable BlackBerry. Theb again you could wait for the new 3G Curve 8900.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    and you obviously meant the non-3G curve 8900 ?
    most of the issues have been resolved by .162 and .167

  8. #8
    Berryadict's Avatar
    Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,297
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Get the Bold.

  9. #9
    Ge's Avatar
    Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    738
    Documents to Go on the 83xx series only allows you to view the documents, the version on the Bold allows you to edit. No extra software needed.

    The Bold is a bit bulkier than the 83xx, but you will get use to it really quickly.

    Now that I have used the Bold extensively, there is no way I would ever go back to a Curve or EDGE.

    The Pearl is not even a consideration as it doesn't have a full keyboard.

    The Bold is DEFINITELY worth it.

  10. #10
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    and you obviously meant the non-3G curve 8900 ?
    Yes I did mean the upcoming Curve 8900 for AT&T Q3 2009. While it's a ways out, regarless of what I buy between now & them I will be buying the 3G 8900 asap. I like everything about it & for my tastes it has the best styling size & usability.
    sent via BlackBerry

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Yes I did mean the upcoming Curve 8900 for AT&T Q3 2009. While it's a ways out, regarless of what I buy between now & them I will be buying the 3G 8900 asap. I like everything about it & for my tastes it has the best styling size & usability.
    sent via BlackBerry
    Oh that one ... the "9220" or something like that lol too many references :P
    but yeah when they do decide to release a javelin with 3G ill be right on that train with you.

  12. #12
    Osprey's Avatar
    Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    69
    Hi - I still have very mixed information from the salesmen at Carphone Warehouse (UK), some of whom claim that office docs can be edited on the Bold, some of whom claim it is no different from the Curve in that respect (i.e. viewing allowed, editing not). In addition, some branches state that Bolds have been withdrawn due to technical faults, whilst others insist they are still selling them. Very confusing, I think I will stick with my Curve until this is all sorted out. Grateful for any other views from active UK users of the Bold.

  13. #13
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    The Pearl is not even a consideration as it doesn't have a full keyboard.
    The Pearl may have SureType which is 2 letters per key but it takes practice to learn the keys on the keyboard. I still consider it a keyboard even though its smaller.


    I type much faster on the Pearl series than the only full keyboard BlackBerry I owned (7730).

  14. #14
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420
    Quote Originally Posted by blackharleymike View Post
    2. The Bold is indeed much more bulky. I tested a Bold for a few days and gave it back to our IT-Department. I´m happy with my Pearl and looking forward to 2009.
    Same here. I will probably never own another full keyboard BlackBerry due to bulkiness. I'm looking forward to the 8220. This may finally make me get a family plan of my own in order to use both devices LOL

  15. #15
    mac14x's Avatar
    mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    The Pearl may have SureType which is 2 letters per key but it takes practice to learn the keys on the keyboard. I still consider it a keyboard even though its smaller.


    I type much faster on the Pearl series than the only full keyboard BlackBerry I owned (7730).
    I agree with ya, when i had the 8100 i typed so darn fast (took me like a month getting used to), plus pearl is small and good for texting in class so by the time somebody can notice me txt, i already sent the msg and put ma pearl in my pocket lol
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •