I just started a new job and I have to pick out a new phone. ... BlackBerry Bold forum

tclamkin no está en línea Stack level 1

Bold email via WIFI only

Advertisement

I just started a new job and I have to pick out a new phone. So far they say that they will pay for the phone and service plan as well as a laptop card with data service but not a data plan on the phone. I really just want a BB with a data plan and tether it to a laptop, but for now that is not an option.

I need to know if I can get pop3 email to work on the BOLD only using WIFI and NO DATA PLAN. I want to go ahead and get the Bold and hope that later I can get them to spring for the data plan.

My LG Incite will do pop3 email via WIFI with or without a data plan, but I have never owned a BB.

Thanks,

Todd

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    As far as i know and have tested, you are not able to use WIFI without a data plan.

lvmonkey no está en línea Stack level 2
    I was curious and i tested this out too. I took out the sim & everything and email wouldnt go through. however if i left the sim in there, the emails do come through. I'm not sure if it's got to do with subscriber info on the sim??

You could always use the browser w/o BIS to access email via the mobile email sites. Hope this helps.

tclamkin no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks everyone. I was afraid of that.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by lvmonkey View Post
    I was curious and i tested this out too. I took out the sim & everything and email wouldnt go through. however if i left the sim in there, the emails do come through. I'm not sure if it's got to do with subscriber info on the sim??

You could always use the browser w/o BIS to access email via the mobile email sites. Hope this helps.
    if you have a data plan it would work just fine with the sim card in. it's what gives the phone all the information about you and your account.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    If you don't have a data plan you won't be able to use those features, mainly because of the service books, you can use internet via wifi only.
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.190 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    As LVMonkey said, you'd have to use an email service such as GMail, Yahoo!, or WebOutlook and login to check your mail. You would not be able to use any of the push features. As Ealvnv said, it's service book related and even if you loaded the proper books on there, they would be removed the next time the device was restarted.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS