Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Prior to the IPhone release, TV was flooded with commercials and that really sold it. ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Swede no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Prior to the IPhone release, TV was flooded with commercials and that really sold it. Sold me anyway. I have not noticed many BB commercials, much less BOLD commercials at all. This leads me to believe that what MAC14 said is probably solid. For what it's worth, I called one of my local Best Buy's this weekend, one of them didnt know what the Bold was. The other took my name and number and said they would call me when one arrived. Not holding my breath on that. I await...........
    Swede

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    IMO, RIM doesn't need commercials... They've got respect/reputation... You can keep a company going with just that.. The iphone really didn't have much reputation... Different markets too...companies don't replace their workers handsets everytime a new phone comes out... But young adults/teens do so you need to inform them of every new product...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    No way the Bold will cause the chaos that the iPhone did.
    It Prolly will but not instantly, slowly.... Also the iphone got huge because of advertisement, coz it look nice, shinny, "cool" and touchy. But now i know alot of people who regreat buying an iphone....and also there is alot of people who hate the iphone like me but just wait....Storm its on its way.....Iphone's days are counted.
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by mac14x View Post
    It Prolly will but not instantly, slowly.... Also the iphone got huge because of advertisement, coz it look nice, shinny, "cool" and touchy. But now i know alot of people who regreat buying an iphone....and also there is alot of people who hate the iphone like me but just wait....Storm its on its way.....Iphone's days are counted.
    While I agree the iPhone was more advertised, I can not agree on "the iPhone's days being counted"

The iPhone was aimed a a little different user than the Bold. Even though the crossover from one to another is big the Blackberry Bold will not be hyped like the iPhone. RIM is much more conservative. Look for more Bold advertising after the introduction and supply is many.

I for one tried the iPhone but the lack of keyboard killed it for me. I want/need tactile feedback and the iPhone provided none. The new Storm is said to have the tactile feedback in it the screen but I am not going to leave AT&T for the Storm. My reception is solid 5 bars/3G and AT&T has been good for me.

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I would say the demand and expectations for the Bold will not be nearly as high a precious commodity as the iphone. Why you ask? Because RIM doesn't market nearly or as rigorously well as apple does. The blackberry creators are fairly slow with there advertising (look how long it's taken to just see a blackberry ad on tv!) And marketing. But, nontheless I am sure they're will be a semi-frantic dash for the people that are in the "know". I.e. The crackberry community.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I think RIM blew their golden opportunity to promote and sell a lot of Bold models. If they would have released them in the summer as the said they would during their May announcement, that would have made a huge difference. Timing is very important on product launches.

Then to make matters worse there is a lot of conversation going on in the NON-BlackBerry community about the delays, the news of the network / software problems has been published in the big mainstream news outlets like Fortune, Bloomberg, NY Times, LA Times, etc. So it's tainted. Like it or not. We are loyal enthusiasts, but RIM needs more than our business alone.

And it gets even worse (not trying to be a pessimist here, but it is what it is) as the financial meltdown has many corporations cutting back on capital spending. Plus many of the individuals with money already caved and bought a 3G iPhone. We (the BB community) lost a lot of users to the iPhone 3G, more than even I care to admit. I see it and hear about it via my corp BB rep, my local store manager, whom I'm close friends with. People are enjoying the iPhone 3G, they got tired of waiting for the Bold and defected.

So will there be lines...no. Will there be demand... yes. A lot of demand for the first few weeks from the BB fans, users and the like. However the delays and everything mentioned above has cost RIM dearly. They have a strained relationship with AT&T who "was" their largest seller, who as we all know has sucked up to Apple for over a year and are making a lot of money because of it. Remember the Bold buyer is an existing AT&T customer, with very few that will switch carriers to get a Bold. The iPhone makes way more money for AT&T because lots of people were more than eager to leave their carrier to sign up with AT&T which increases AT&T's market share. That in itself is a huge deal.

Time will tell.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I think RIM blew their golden opportunity to promote and sell a lot of Bold models. If they would have released them in the summer as the said they would during their May announcement, that would have made a huge difference. Timing is very important on product launches.

Then to make matters worse there is a lot of conversation going on in the NON-BlackBerry community about the delays, the news of the network / software problems has been published in the big mainstream news outlets like Fortune, Bloomberg, NY Times, LA Times, etc. So it's tainted. Like it or not. We are loyal enthusiasts, but RIM needs more than our business alone.

And it gets even worse (not trying to be a pessimist here, but it is what it is) as the financial meltdown has many corporations cutting back on capital spending. Plus many of the individuals with money already caved and bought a 3G iPhone. We (the BB community) lost a lot of users to the iPhone 3G, more than even I care to admit. I see it and hear about it via my corp BB rep, my local store manager, whom I'm close friends with. People are enjoying the iPhone 3G, they got tired of waiting for the Bold and defected.

So will there be lines...no. Will there be demand... yes. A lot of demand for the first few weeks from the BB fans, users and the like. However the delays and everything mentioned above has cost RIM dearly. They have a strained relationship with AT&T who "was" their largest seller, who as we all know has sucked up to Apple for over a year and are making a lot of money because of it. Remember the Bold buyer is an existing AT&T customer, with very few that will switch carriers to get a Bold. The iPhone makes way more money for AT&T because lots of people were more than eager to leave their carrier to sign up with AT&T which increases AT&T's market share. That in itself is a huge deal.

Time will tell.
    do i really have to say it again ? amazing post as always dear archer which i 100% agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    do i really have to say it again ? amazing post as always dear archer which i 100% agree with.
    Thanks!

J. Thompson no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Ditto my sentiments on that too archer6. As always.

With that being said. Any AT&T dealer on here in the Port Arthur/Beaumont, TX want to go ahead and take my money now and have my device waiting the evening it releases?

Won't have time to leave work to get this during the day, and I am one of those loyalists that will be paying full retail pricing for it.

Quote Originally Posted by joewoo View Post
    IMO, RIM doesn't need commercials... They've got respect/reputation... You can keep a company going with just that..~
    This theory might have worked 30 years ago, but it doesn't work today. It's something that RIM does very poorly & if they keep failing to produce a strong marketing plan their sales numbers will collapse, as it takes more than just a competent device to battle the competitors that are hot on the trail.

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    What about google? They don't have commercials... Yahoo does... I think there's a good mix of companies that don't run commercials even to this day... What about Caterpillars... Those things aren't ever replaced...

There are plenty othr companies that run off reputation... I think RIM is one of them... Maybe they slipped up here and there... But their mistakes are much more publicized too...

Quote Originally Posted by joewoo View Post
    What about google? . What about Caterpillars.~
    These are exceptional companies in their owm right. Just ask anyone & they've heard of Google which is a free service, not a product like BlackBerry where one pays hundreds of dollars, then monhty fees. Catepillers are tractors & other farming equipment. A worldwide brand name for over 100 years. Thus to compare a tractor to a cell phone is an odd statement.
    Perhaps you might use this same line of thinking to compare TV's to UFO's.

frisco49ers no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2840D481
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    These are exceptional companies in their owm right. Just ask anyone & they've heard of Google which is a free service, not a product like BlackBerry where one pays hundreds of dollars, then monhty fees. Catepillers are tractors & other farming equipment. A worldwide brand name for over 100 years. Thus to compare a tractor to a cell phone is an odd statement.
    Perhaps you might use this same line of thinking to compare TV's to UFO's.
    Also it is really hard to get a good reliable used UFO lately but with all the new styles of tv's coming out there are multiple choices for a good tv with a tube!

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    No one was "comparing" a tractor to a cell phone company.. I was mearly giving examples of companies that don't use commercials... I felt RIM was one of those companies... I was putting RIM in the SAME category...

You say reputation alone would have only worked 30 yrs ago?!? Does that really make any sense?!? You're basically saying there's no reason for companies to try to gain respect from their customers..

Quote Originally Posted by frisco49ers View Post
    Also it is really hard to get a good reliable used UFO lately but with all the new styles of tv's coming out there are multiple choices for a good tv with a tube!
    Very good points. It's my understanding that the challenge when shopping for a "pre-owned" UFO is to avoid one with excess scorching of its outer skin due to high re-entry speeds casusing the skin to blister.
    And you think we have issues with our phones...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast