Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a little bit of a concern about my Bolds battery. At first I ... BlackBerry Bold forum

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C

Bold Battery Life

Advertisement

I have a little bit of a concern about my Bolds battery. At first I didn't pay it much mind (I was to wrapped up in the "new berry" mindset) but now its starting to stand out a bit more.

I have tried numerous OS versions from .125 up to .210 and haven't noticed much of a difference in battery life along the way, just to get that out in the open. Recently (running .210) it has been getting worse, and here's an example:

- spent 90% of today at home where I have perfect 3G signal strength and Wifi
    - took in/replied to less then a dozen calls/sms/emails all day
    - spent 2-3 hours at most online (via Wifi)

The battery was fully charged at the start of the day and by midnight I'm sitting at a lowly 15% charge.

I think the reason I hadn't noticed this much until now is because I'm home from work for a week and while I'm at work the phone is off most of the day. I'm going to try going back to .162 (latest official OS from my carrier) just to say I'm doing things as "by the books" as possible and if that doesn't work/help I might look into getting my battery swapped out.

What do you guys think? Even though there are a lot of factors in play I really think I should be getting more out of this thing.

Please ask questions if necessary to clarify information but I would really appreciate input on other Bold users experiences and wether or not it seems like something's up with mine.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I'm afraid that sounds about correct.

My (limited) experience so far is that wifi eats the battery quicker than I'd like. Though it is really nice to have.

If I'm careful to turn off wifi when I'm not browsing the internet, I notice I get much better battery life. Also, 2-3 hours of browsing is a decent amount and I would expect that to eat into your battery pretty good.

Overall, I'm thinking your experience is in line with what I've experienced.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Headhunter1975 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I seem to be getting through the day with over 50% battery life. Have you tried setting it to the recomended settings? i.e. I have my backlight at 10%, it really doesn't need to be briter than that. I keep the autobacklight off, I always turn bluetooth off when I'm not using it, along with wifi.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I do leave bluetooth disabled and have my screen brightness quite low, in the 10-50% range, I was just unsure of the battery strain endured because of the wifi connection. I was under the assumption that browsing the internet over wifi would eat up less battery life then using the 3G signal...but I could be wrong.

I'll try leaving wifi disabled for the next few days and see how things differ, I'm not even sure if the wifi connection is THAT much faster or worth it if all I'm doing is browsing Pinstack.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Just a quick update, I'm probably going to just leave wifi disabled, I can see how it would benefit larger file downloads, but Pinstack still load perfectly fast and I can still stream youtube videos just fine via 3G.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    It has to do with how much time you spend browsing on the phone.. That or calls kill the battery most... Responding to emails isn't a big drain..

During a slow work day, the bold doesn't last 14 hrs... On a weekend, it easily goes to the 3rd day... Wifi on at all times...

a BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

headfog no está en línea Stack level 1
    I shut off the GPS on my bold. I leave all other wireless services active. My battery life does very well with moderate use either with or without WIFI connectivity.

Whao, how do you shut the GPS off? That would save quite a bit of battery life.

Ok, I think I turned it off, we'll see how much that helps.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I don't think you can shut the GPS off.

Under Options
    Advanced Options
    GPS

You can disable the location tracking, but I doubt that turns off the GPS.

Even so, I don't think the GPS uses a lot of battery. It only really gets invoked when you launch BlackBerry Maps or Google Maps. Otherwise, the GPS doesn't do anything.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I leave the following settings and get around 14 hours on the OEM battery (could get 14-18 hours on my extended battery but it's being replaced):

BlueTooth...I misplaced the headset (not buying another one because I lose them too easily) LOL
    WiFi...I leave this off unless I need to use the phone
    Network Coverage LED Indicator...This is off unless my data doesn't work
    Backlight: 10-50%
    Auto Dim: On
    Key Tone: Off
    Auto On/Off: Enabled-Off at 3 AM On at 9 AM
    Profile: Silent (Normal if I'm expecting a phone call)

Heavy data (PIN, Email), Light texting and voice. Heavy gaming, some music if I don't feel like carrying an iPod with me.

At the end of 1 day, I'm usually looking at between 40-60% left over
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 12-30-2008 at 01:24 AM.

Svend no está en línea Stack level 2
    I agree with GE. GPS doesn't seem to be invoked on my phone unless i open a program like Telnav or blackberry maps, which requires the use of the function.

I think battery life also depends on signal strength. If you have a low signal strength for Wifi and/or 3G you will use more battery life since the Bold will constantly be transmitting and Recieving to try and find signal.

My suggestion is to use the signal which is higher when you use your 2-3hrs browsing to save battery life and turn off the other. Wifi and 3G speeds doesn't make TOO much of a difference.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I agree with Svend. I had the life SUCKED out of my battery in only 2 hours today at the Houston Children's Museum with my nieces today. I went there with a 100% fully charged battery and 2 hours later left with 50% (At best I got 2 bars which was just enough to call my mom's phone to find out where she dropped it because the case she bought for it is crap LOL). Thank goodness I had my car charger with me. I plugged it in from the second I got in my car until I got back out at my house. I think I answered 3 PINS (2 invites and 1 message), 1 text and made only that one phone call in the 2 hours we were there.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 12-30-2008 at 01:40 AM.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    use the auto on/off feature and have the phone turn off around when you go to bed and have it come back on near when you wake in the morning... in my case, that saves about 6-7 hours of standby time per day. seems to help, plus i dont have emails waking me up at 2 am, and my alarm clock still goes off when the phone comes on in the morning.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    If your BLackBerry is off, when does the email come in? As soon as you turn it back on? Does it throw off the time and date of the email?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast