Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everyone. I would imagine that many of the basic rules apply when it comes ... BlackBerry Bold forum

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C

Bold battery conservation

Advertisement

Hello everyone.

I would imagine that many of the basic rules apply when it comes to conserving battery life on the Bold, but I was wondering if their is anything that might be helpfull when dealing specifically with the bold.

One thing I'm curious about more then anything is the network options and what effect they have on battery life. Is it beneficial to leave Wifi on so the bold makes use of my wireless network, or will that drain the battery more then just doing everything via the 3G signal?

I would really appreciate any input possible on the effect wifi has on battery life as well as any other helpfull tidbits anyone might have come across since they got their bold.

jrgonz454 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a02eb2
    To be hoest with you I keep my phone on 24-7. The only inprovements to Battery came when I upgraded to 190os. I had the wifi on all night and very little battery drain.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Was there any difference in battery drain with your original OS? Also, if you're within your wifi network, does it still consume data towards your bill/plan when downloading and browsing the web? I noticed that the phone actually lists wifi for "Blackberry Internet Service" as opposed to the 3G network, but I wanna make sure.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    24a02eb2
    You dont get charge for Wifi usage. And as far as the battery drain is concerned I would have to sat the original OS sucked my battery like a hungry Vampire.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    The amount of power your phones uses depends on coverage more than anything. I have left my WiFi on 24/7 and had little effect on the battery life, in fact I think when your are not using WiFi the WiFi radio goes into standby and uses very little power. I know people who leave both WiFi and BT running all the time and have no problems in a normal day. Taking you Bold out of the holster and using it for 15 to 20 minutes would take way more power for the screen and processor than leaving these radios on all day long.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgonz454 View Post
    You dont get charge for Wifi usage. And as far as the battery drain is concerned I would have to sat the original OS sucked my battery like a hungry Vampire.
    Would you happen to remember which OS version you had originally? I'll definitely try an OS update if it could mean better battery life.

Also, good to know I don't have to worry about leaving wifi enabled 24/7, reception in my house just sucks is all, which isn't helping.

I'll try the OS update though, hopefully it helps.

PIN/ID
    24a02eb2
    I had the 167 went to 190. I also had a big jump in quality of calls and reception.

anoxia187 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Yes I noticed a big difference when I upgraded to .190 from .167 with Rogers. I can get a hole day of browsering and phone usage with battery live still at 50 percent. Used to be 10 percent by the end of the night.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by anoxia187 View Post

Yes I noticed a big difference when I upgraded to .190 from .167 with Rogers. I can get a hole day of browsering and phone usage with battery live still at 50 percent. Used to be 10 percent by the end of the night.
    I think I'm already noticing the same improvements, amung others. My Bold from Rogers came with .125, going to .190 has not already started to improve my battery life, but I startup with an extra 10MB of memory available. Even being in a low reception area it looks like I'll be able to get a decent amount of use out of this thing all day long without worrying about it dyin' on me.

Thx for the tip on .190 guys, it worked nicely...I'll see how things go after a full charge tonight and a solid day or use tomorrow.

What would we do without the stacks?

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    All was fine until my Shaw cable/internet/ and phone went down tonight....

I went into instant internet withdrawal. I decided to wap on over to the stacks and learn how to tether my Bold to my PC and thus get internet.

Well, tethering was easy using bluetooth and just following the prompts to set up a network connection in Windows.... BUT

I don't know what meter is moving faster... The one goin UP on my data bill or the one going down under battery on my Bold...... WhoooooHooooo Technology is grand!
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinks View Post
    All was fine until my Shaw cable/internet/ and phone went down tonight....

I went into instant internet withdrawal. I decided to wap on over to the stacks and learn how to tether my Bold to my PC and thus get internet.

Well, tethering was easy using bluetooth and just following the prompts to set up a network connection in Windows.... BUT

I don't know what meter is moving faster... The one goin UP on my data bill or the one going down under battery on my Bold...... WhoooooHooooo Technology is grand!
    Haha, scary stuff, I don't know if I could be that...bold. Lol

Sorry guys, I had to.

drjamie03 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I also had much better battery life starting with OS .185 and continuing with .190. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Funny how a simple update like that can improve something like battery life that much. So far using the phone on and off all day I'm still at like 70%...more then enough to keep me happy.

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by drjamie03 View Post
    I also had much better battery life starting with OS .185 and continuing with .190. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I don't know about .185 as |I skipped it and went straight to .190. Unfortunately, as soon as \i put .190 in I lost my GPS.... So back to .162 I went.

I power use my poor Bold. 2-3 dozen emails a day in both directions. GPS always on, BBM going great guns, WLM, Viigo, Facebook, WiFi, Bluetooth, and WeatherEye updating every 30 minutes.. After a 14 hour work day I am still showing over 50% charge.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Its awesome to hear success stories like that, I'm not quite THAT much of a power user but I can only hope.

My biggest problem is poor reception areas at home and at work, the places where I spend most of my time. All things considering I still have more then enough of a charge to get through the day, and I charge my Bold every night anyways...so its not to big of a deal.

Its weird that you lose GPS with .190 Sirthinks, mine's going just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast