Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, My wife's bold (no data plan, ATT service) we have been trying to connect ... BlackBerry Bold forum

sethwas no está en línea Stack level 2

bold and wifi - is it an os issue?

Advertisement

Ok,
    My wife's bold (no data plan, ATT service) we have been trying to connect over the wifi.
    Now before anyone chimes in why no data plan, we like the blackberries for their OS features, reliability, and PDA functions. Having push email is not a value in this situation.
    Anyway, I have used just about all model blackberries, and at the office, on t-mobile, the curves use wifi priority without touching the data plan.
    I have been trying to do the same with the bold, and with all the searching I've done on the subject, have come up with either 1) its not possible on the bold 9000, 2) it is a carrier software limitation.

I am running the most up to date OS, incidentally it is an unlocked vodafone bold.

Am I wasting time trying to get the wifi to connect (remember, the wifi itself works fine, and sees the router and gets an IP, but I cannot actually use any web features because it gives me a data-plan off error).

Thanks,

Seth

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think that because you have no data plan you don't have the service books for browser.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

hmm,
    I can try to then just put a sim in with the account to get the service books, and then put the other sim back.

Seth

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    Have you tried changing your Browser configurations? Change the Browser Configuration: Browser from Internet browser to "Hotspot Browser." Change Browser Identification: to Internet explorer or Firefox. Save and give that a try... Let us know if that works for you or not!
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

hi,
    browser config is 'hotspot'. ID is IE. Still no green check only the dash for wifi.

Thanks,

Seth
    Last edited by sethwas; 07-20-2009 at 01:08 PM.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by stnkyq2 View Post
    Have you tried changing your Browser configurations? Change the Browser Configuration: Browser from Internet browser to "Hotspot Browser." Change Browser Identification: to Internet explorer or Firefox. Save and give that a try... Let us know if that works for you or not!
    You should be able to set Browser Identification: to Blackberry.

I don't think it's a Bold issue - I have the 8900 with the same situation running 5.0.0.100. I also never had to send my service books to get the required ones but, if you find you don't have all of them, you should be able to just resend. Also, I don't think you even need a SIM card in your device to operate it wi-fi only with no data plan.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Also, I don't think you even need a SIM card in your device to operate it wi-fi only with no data plan.
    That is what I would like to try to do, so that I don't get hit with data plan access off contract while I test.

Thanks,

Seth

So what happens when you scan for available networks in the wi-fi setup. What reply do you get? Also under options> mobile network, do you have "wi-fi preferred?"...and network selection mode to "automatic?"
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

When I scan it picks up the local networks. I can join them successfully.
    However, the 'wifi' icon on the top right does not glow and I cannot use any web features (check email, movie times, weather, etc.)
    Still, when I go to the wifi options and check the settings I am given an IP by the local router/network and can ping, etc.
    The data plan is 'off' and that is the error it gives when I try to connect. I do not have the option of 'wifi preferred'. That is what I am looking for to test next.

Seth

Seth, Since you can connect OK have you tried to DL another browser like BOLT to see if you can use that? I don't know if the BB Browswer if the culprit but you might try BOLT to see if that works.

I don't know why you don't have the wi-fi preferred option.

I tried opera mini. I'll try bolt now.

Seth

Were you able to get thru to the internet with Opera?

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    You wont fully get a wifi connection, since in the wifi set up the very last connection is the the Blackberry infrastucture which means I can get my email etc through my BIS when i dont have signal. (it connects via wifi instead)

The first part though will get your IP address, so you can use your router, but you have to make sure it has its own IP and is not sharing one with another device on the network.. If its is, then it may not get the signal that it has a valid ip even though it looks like it does.

but you will never get the green check or the bright wifi signal but you should get the at&t - home network connection thing at the top.

I think anyway..

im on att and will try a boot up without sim card when I get home in a little while and see what happens

I had to initially play with a lot of settings on both my phone and router to get it set up the first time, but now as soon as im a block from home I connect to the wifi
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Ok,
    So it works without the sim card. No sim, the wifi connects just fine.

Seth

I don't know the ins and outs of all that rashard said but I get the check mark you're talking about. I got it when I had an at&t account and I get it with my current t-mobile account. Maybe it's the ole 2wire router that I'm using but I never had this much trouble getting hooked up to wi-fi. I've done it with the 8220, 8320 and my current 8900 - OS's from 4.5 to 5.0. Like I said maybe my router is "easy."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast