I currently have a 9000 and I have a 9700 in a box and a ... BlackBerry Bold forum

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

Bold 9700 or Tour 9650

Advertisement

I currently have a 9000 and I have a 9700 in a box and a second Tour arriving on Monday - I send the first one back since VZN charged me $149.99 for the phone but I found it on Amazon for $49.99.

I am leaning towards Verizon because I can save $20.00 month and hopefully less dropped calls.
    I have compared the signal on the 9700 and the Tour in different areas and the VZN network here in the SF/Bay Area appears to be better.

I like the fact that I can get a phone call while surfing the net/tethering on the ATT network; I also like the fact that the I can tether wirelessly on the Bold but not with the Tour.

I cannot believe however the VZN had the micro USB placed in the bottom right of the phone which means that I cannot have it in a cradle in the car and charge it at the same time!

Any insight on anyone that has had the ability to fully test drive both phones and who travels extensively?

Merry Christmas,

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no
    my suggestion.. don't pick your service based on the phone, but the reception. the hottest phone is only as good as the network it's on. in terms of 3G foot print and coverage IMHO nothing can touch Verizon. I was with them for 6 happy years, but I left them and went to Tmo only because my traveling went down to a minimum (and I reside in the tri-state area of NYC) and the phone selection was wider with a GSM provider (got to love unlocked handsets and sim cards) with a much cheaper plan price tag. while the fact you can't do data/voice at the same time on Verizon, for approximately the same price as adding the tether add-on to the blackberry plan, you can just get a dedicated aircard AND you'll have the superior 3G speeds/coverage.

also, I'd say 9700 over Tour because of superior processor, the touchpad, battery life, etc. but if you are going to be on Verizon I'd say just get any blackberry to last you about a month (possibly only a few weeks) since the Tour 2 is about to be launched (most likely in January) on Verizon.

Tour 2, Verizon, aircard..

my 2 cents. happy holidays! WATAA!!

PIN/ID
    Apple
    yea, i would have to agree with ninja, the 9700 is defiantly a better device but if you travel a lot and into rural areas you will go down to edge on att and still have "3G" on verizon. nothing can touch their coverage but i like the ability to browse get my emails while I'm on the phone taking a call. If your just going to be in mostly major cities then i would go with the 9700 right now. personally though, wait for the tour 2 and get verizon unless receiving emails and browsing at the same time your on the phone is important to you.

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks for your feedback! Coverage/call quality test is being done for the next 5 days. I have until Jan 4th to cancel my ATT service with no penalty. Customer Service so far on VZN has been great and I have to work out a few issues with the Tour so I will wait until it is released and try to get upgraded within the 30 day period. Does anyone know the specs on the Tour 2?

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm not sure if you use your phone to stream music (Pandora) or GPS (Navigation), but it is worth considering that if you are using any of those functions you will NOT receive calls on Verizon. Also, if you are receiving emails at the moment someone is calling you, you will NOT receive the call.......you will just get a notification when/if they leave a message.

It is my thought that since the point of a smartphone is to be fully connected at all times, the limitations imposed by the Verizon network are counterproductive to that end.

I use my 8900 on at&t to stream music, navigate, social network, etc. and I can receive a call while doing all of those.......not to mention that the 9700 is the pinnacle of BB innovation at this point. It is also worth pointing out that if you drop from 3G to EDGE you do not lose any functionality, just speed.

barontg no está en línea Stack level 1
    9700 has better than tour I recommended.