Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi guys, I am sure someone will give me an answer to the following query. ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Bold 9000 OS Updates - Query

Advertisement

Hi guys,
    I am sure someone will give me an answer to the following query. Once in a while (not always) when I sync with Desktop 4.7 the Software Update identifies that my Bold 9000 needs the 4.6 Core Apllication Update, and I always say ok - this has happened so many times that now the BB Bold takes up to 5 minutes to restart after a reset or battery pull. This doesn´t seem normal to me. The questions are: has there been so many updates ? are they for real ? or is there something else wrong ? Should I update, or should I ignore ? For you information the current OS I have is v4.6.0.162 (Platform 4.0.0.155) Vodafone is the carrier. Appreciate that you guys help me out ! Thanks.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am sure someone will give me an answer to the following query. Once in a while (not always) when I sync with Desktop 4.7 the Software Update identifies that my Bold 9000 needs the 4.6 Core Apllication Update, and I always say ok - this has happened so many times that now the BB Bold takes up to 5 minutes to restart after a reset or battery pull. This doesn´t seem normal to me. The questions are: has there been so many updates ? are they for real ? or is there something else wrong ? Should I update, or should I ignore ? For you information the current OS I have is v4.6.0.162 (Platform 4.0.0.155) Vodafone is the carrier. Appreciate that you guys help me out ! Thanks.

One quick remedy for this is to go to your control panel on your desktop/laptop and go to "Add or remove apps" and simply remove the latest os(s) you have installed. This won't have any effect on your BOLD and it should get rid of the annoying request to update.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    My Bold takes almost 5 minutes to start up too, I wish there was a way to fix that...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I will do that - hope it fixes the problem - will let you know. Thanks.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

schumacher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256F471E
    Hi guys,
    Don't worry about the msg. Just ignore it.
    The bold does take a long time to restart, it has nothing to do with any os upgrades.my javelin takes only half the time to restart.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by schumacher View Post
    Don't worry about the msg. Just ignore it.
    The bold does take a long time to restart, it has nothing to do with any os upgrades.my javelin takes only half the time to restart.
    I'm guessing you have had a BOLD before but FYI my BOLD has never taken a long time to restart-ever.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Oi.., uninstalled the OS from laptop, synced and voila... there it goes again. This time I ignored it and am none the worse for it. I'll ignore it till I know there really is an update. Thanks guys.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    delfim,

Sounds like when you installed DM you checked the box to automatically check for updates. Try this:

1. Go into the Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (Programs and Features if you're running Vista).
    2. When you click on BlackBerry Desktop Software you should see an option at the top of the screen to Uninstall/Change. Click on that.
    3. Once the InstallShield Wizard comes up, click Next.
    4. Select the button to Modify the installation and click Next.
    5. The Custom Setup screen comes up here, so just click Next.
    6. Make sure the correct Integration Option is selected (personal e-mail if you're using BIS, work e-mail if you're on BES) then click Next.
    7. The next screen is the one where you can turn off the Auto Update feature by unchecking the box that says Check for Software Updates. Uncheck that, then click on Install.

That should end your problem!

Regards,
    Roger
    Last edited by RogerG; 02-02-2009 at 10:02 AM.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hi - sorry I took time to answer all the help I got. But...it's solved and as I said, I´ll wait for an announcement for a OS Update, and then activate the update option on the desktop. Thanks Roger and friends.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    It may SEEM to take 5 minutes to reboot but it really is less. If it is taking a real 5 minutes to reboot, there is something wrong.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Hi - sorry I took time to answer all the help I got. But...it's solved and as I said, I´ll wait for an announcement for a OS Update, and then activate the update option on the desktop. Thanks Roger and friends.
    You don't need to even load DM to update your OS. You can go to the Blackberry Update site, follow the instructions and update from there.

Make sure you follow the instructions. The first time you run an update from the site it will ask you to install some software and, if I recall, an activex control.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I am glad that you have come to a resolution, if you would like me to close the thread, then please let me know.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    delfim,

Sounds like when you installed DM you checked the box to automatically check for updates. Try this:

1. Go into the Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (Programs and Features if you're running Vista).
    2. When you click on BlackBerry Desktop Software you should see an option at the top of the screen to Uninstall/Change. Click on that.
    3. Once the InstallShield Wizard comes up, click Next.
    4. Select the button to Modify the installation and click Next.
    5. The Custom Setup screen comes up here, so just click Next.
    6. Make sure the correct Intergration Option is selected (personal e-mail if you're using BIS, work e-mail if you're on BES) then click Next.
    7. The next screen is the one where you can turn off the Auto Update feature by unchecking the box that says Check for Software Updates. Uncheck that, then click on Install.

That should end your problem!

Regards,
    Roger
    Roger, this is an excellent post. Good for people to know.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    It may SEEM to take 5 minutes to reboot but it really is less. If it is taking a real 5 minutes to reboot, there is something wrong.
    Lol, I've TIMED mine. From when the red light goes off to the homescreen. 4m 12s. That was with .219.

With .228 it was 1m 6s.
    Last edited by snipes mcgee; 02-02-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes mcgee View Post
    Lol, I've TIMED mine. From when the red light goes off to the homescreen. 4m 12s. That was with .219.

With .228 it was 1m 6s.
    Snipes, any improvements or comments on this OS? I am still holding off as .214 has been SOLID for me.

thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast