Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

OK so after some down time to make sure they wouldn't re-add it......I'm pretty sure ... BlackBerry Bold forum

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

OK so after some down time to make sure they wouldn't re-add it......I'm pretty sure this is working for now. If AT&T has added data to you Blackberry like they did to a friend of mine, I have a work around. His 8310 was unlocked and AT&T didn't have his imei and he didn't want data at all. AT&T being the nice people they are forced it on him like they've done to many of you.
    I got to thinking......maybe they can see what phone he has since it's running an AT&T factory OS.....so I swaped it to another carriers OS thinking it would help, doesn't matter the carrier just none AT&T. I (you) will also have to have a way to change your imei on your account...I have a friend who does this for me at a local store. He droped the "mandatory data plan" and it's been over a month without them adding it back.
    If you don't mind alittle OS swapping and sim juggling to swap imei's for your account you should be able to use you berry with the unlimited media net package or with pay per use.
    Hope that helps some of you.
    B
    Apple iPhone 5C 16gb (Green)

Follow Me on Twitter

Ok well another update.....this worked on my friends 8310.....and DID NOT WORK on the 9700.....maybe because it's a 3G device? I don't know why.

Follow Me on Twitter

berrymuncher no está en línea Stack level 1
    WHY DO YOU PEOPLE USE BB'S WITHOUT THE DATA PACKAGE???!!! What's the point really?! Just to say that you have a BB? As of Oct of '09 any account that adds a new smartphone will be mandated to add the data package. If you didn't have the package prior to Oct '09, you'll be grandfathered in untill you upgrade. There's no point, what so ever, to having a smart phone if you're not going to use the data package. Go buy yourself a texting device. There's absolutely no way to get around this. Even if you put your SIM card into a friend's smart phone, they'll know. There's no way to cheat the system. Eventually they'll sweep your account and find out. People pay $50 and $60 for internet at home. $30 for decent internet service on your cell phone is not a bad deal. This isn't AT&T being greedy. I's the nature of the business. Verizon requires that all texting and smart phones have data packages. TMO and Sprint?..... Well outside of major cities, who cares. You probably can't make a call anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by berrymuncher View Post
    WHY DO YOU PEOPLE USE BB'S WITHOUT THE DATA PACKAGE???!!! What's the point really?! Just to say that you have a BB? As of Oct of '09 any account that adds a new smartphone will be mandated to add the data package. If you didn't have the package prior to Oct '09, you'll be grandfathered in untill you upgrade. There's no point, what so ever, to having a smart phone if you're not going to use the data package. Go buy yourself a texting device. There's absolutely no way to get around this. Even if you put your SIM card into a friend's smart phone, they'll know. There's no way to cheat the system. Eventually they'll sweep your account and find out. People pay $50 and $60 for internet at home. $30 for decent internet service on your cell phone is not a bad deal. This isn't AT&T being greedy. I's the nature of the business. Verizon requires that all texting and smart phones have data packages. TMO and Sprint?..... Well outside of major cities, who cares. You probably can't make a call anyways.

I'm gonna disagree with ya here.....but I still have friends that want the occasional internet usage and could care less about email, bbm, etc. they liked being able to use there berry on the media net unlimited package lol.
    I personally think it's pointless to have one anymore without full BIS cause I couldn't live without BBM and email, and everything else I get.

Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by berrymuncher View Post
    WHY DO YOU PEOPLE USE BB'S WITHOUT THE DATA PACKAGE???!!!
    Wi-Fi. If your BlackBerry has WiFi, then the entire web is available all over the place . . .
    What's the point really?! Just to say that you have a BB? As of Oct of '09 any account that adds a new smartphone will be mandated to add the data package.
    If they're going to start mandating that, they haven't started yet (as of 4-17-10) and I hear no plans from my Tmo contacts that it will be required. At the retail outlets, they are requiring a data purchase in order to get the best price on a 2-year extension, but that is not required for an online purchase.
    If you didn't have the package prior to Oct '09, you'll be grandfathered in untill you upgrade. There's no point, what so ever, to having a smart phone if you're not going to use the data package. Go buy yourself a texting device. There's absolutely no way to get around this. Even if you put your SIM card into a friend's smart phone, they'll know. There's no way to cheat the system. Eventually they'll sweep your account and find out.
    Sounds a bit like 1984?
    People pay $50 and $60 for internet at home. $30 for decent internet service on your cell phone is not a bad deal. This isn't AT&T being greedy. I's the nature of the business. Verizon requires that all texting and smart phones have data packages. TMO and Sprint?..... Well outside of major cities, who cares. You probably can't make a call anyways.
    Like I said, if you have a WiFi phone then access to the internet and email is available anyway, so there's no reason to pay for internet service at your home and internet service (a data plan) through your service provider. I can't speak for other providers, but my contacts at T-Mobile assure me that Data will not be required for all Smartphone purchases. The only time Data is a required purchase is to secure the lowest device price on a new or extended 2-year contract.

biff2kplus1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Wi-Fi. If your BlackBerry has WiFi, then the entire web is available all over the place . . .If they're going to start mandating that, they haven't started yet (as of 4-17-10) and I hear no plans from my Tmo contacts that it will be required. At the retail outlets, they are requiring a data purchase in order to get the best price on a 2-year extension, but that is not required for an online purchase.Sounds a bit like 1984? Like I said, if you have a WiFi phone then access to the internet and email is available anyway, so there's no reason to pay for internet service at your home and internet service (a data plan) through your service provider. I can't speak for other providers, but my contacts at T-Mobile assure me that Data will not be required for all Smartphone purchases. The only time Data is a required purchase is to secure the lowest device price on a new or extended 2-year contract.
    I think the part that the "Pro Data Plan" people are saying is why would you use your PHONE on your wifi. If you are at home and only use to BB on wifi, why arent you using your computer. Its like buying a car just to sit in and not actually drive it. Yeah a car has seats but if you arent going to drive it anywhere, why not just buy a chair?

As for the Data Plan requirement, I switched from Sprint almost a year ago and did some searching around for what provider to move to. It sounds like most providers (in the US atleast) have either moved to a mandatory data plan for all smart phones, or are looking into it. It sounds like their major issue has been that they have a lot of people who don't have a data plan and then didn't realise that they were using data so there is additional costs because they have to have additional bandwidth for these people for "accidental" usage. Then these people complain saying "I didn't know" and the companies are nice and remove the charge. By requiring all smart phones to have a data plan they will know how much network traffic they would potentially need based on their clients. (And yes I'm sure there is a bunch of greed in there as well.)

It seems like everyone forgot about the situation that AT&T ran into with the iPhones and the huge surge of data usage on their network a few months/years back. If you have 10 customers and only 2 sign up for data plans, you expect only 2 people to use your data service so you make sure you can handle those 2 clients. When 5 customers end up using data you have to now handle the larger loads, without getting any money for it (cause the customer will complain and get it removed), and then have to deal with the 2 customers who payed for the service who are upset that their data service sucked.

So what's the answer? At the resort I worked at, if we had a lot of complaints about a specific room, they ended up having to pay for a portion of the complaining rooms' stay. That room screwed up the vacation of all the rest of the customers so they need deal with the problems they caused. In the same respect we could not automatically bill the data plan but if you use data then you get charged a lot of money and there is no "i didnt know" ways of getting out of it. Seriously, who on here hasnt called up your provider and complained about something and they removed it right away? "Oh I didn't know I was roaming on that call, can you please remove that charge?" If its a one time thing, most providers seem to be pretty good about fixing stuff. But everyone forgets the reason there are roaming charges and service fees....you (the customer) are going outside of the contract you have set up and are required to pay for services that you did not originally sign up for. (Before anyone flames, roaming charges are to pay for towers that are not leased by YOUR provider...if you wanted to use that tower you need to use some other providers phone or pay a fee.)

In the end, i think everyone should be thankful that you are receiving a notice (via txt or email) that they are adding this data plan to your account. at least then its not a suprise.

Quote Originally Posted by biff2kplus1 View Post
    I think the part that the "Pro Data Plan" people are saying is why would you use your PHONE on your wifi. If you are at home and only use to BB on wifi, why arent you using your computer. Its like buying a car just to sit in and not actually drive it. Yeah a car has seats but if you arent going to drive it anywhere, why not just buy a chair?
    Because the WiFi on your phone is not just for home use. You are able to use WiFi anywhere it is available - hotels, downtown areas, coffeeshops, a lot of fast food places and restaurants, etc.
    As for the Data Plan requirement, I switched from Sprint almost a year ago and did some searching around for what provider to move to. It sounds like most providers (in the US atleast) have either moved to a mandatory data plan for all smart phones, or are looking into it.
    Maybe so, but not my experience with Tmo.
    It sounds like their major issue has been that they have a lot of people who don't have a data plan and then didn't realise that they were using data so there is additional costs because they have to have additional bandwidth for these people for "accidental" usage. Then these people complain saying "I didn't know" and the companies are nice and remove the charge. By requiring all smart phones to have a data plan they will know how much network traffic they would potentially need based on their clients. (And yes I'm sure there is a bunch of greed in there as well.)
    When you're using your phone's WiFi, you are not incurring extra network charges because you are not using the network at all. For example, at home I have Roadrunner cable modem and a wireless router, and the internet connection is my device>router>modem>Roadrunner - has nothing to do with the Tmo account at all. It incurs no data charges at all because nothing I'm doing on the phone's WiFi uses the Tmo network.
    It seems like everyone forgot about the situation that AT&T ran into with the iPhones and the huge surge of data usage on their network a few months/years back. If you have 10 customers and only 2 sign up for data plans, you expect only 2 people to use your data service so you make sure you can handle those 2 clients. When 5 customers end up using data you have to now handle the larger loads, without getting any money for it (cause the customer will complain and get it removed), and then have to deal with the 2 customers who payed for the service who are upset that their data service sucked.
    Again, using the device WiFi completely bypasses the network, avoiding the extra charges or network usage.
    So what's the answer? At the resort I worked at, if we had a lot of complaints about a specific room, they ended up having to pay for a portion of the complaining rooms' stay. That room screwed up the vacation of all the rest of the customers so they need deal with the problems they caused. In the same respect we could not automatically bill the data plan but if you use data then you get charged a lot of money and there is no "i didnt know" ways of getting out of it. Seriously, who on here hasnt called up your provider and complained about something and they removed it right away? "Oh I didn't know I was roaming on that call, can you please remove that charge?" If its a one time thing, most providers seem to be pretty good about fixing stuff. But everyone forgets the reason there are roaming charges and service fees....you (the customer) are going outside of the contract you have set up and are required to pay for services that you did not originally sign up for. (Before anyone flames, roaming charges are to pay for towers that are not leased by YOUR provider...if you wanted to use that tower you need to use some other providers phone or pay a fee.)

In the end, i think everyone should be thankful that you are receiving a notice (via txt or email) that they are adding this data plan to your account. at least then its not a suprise.
    I think, in the end, is the question whether service providers are requiring you to have a data plan if you have a smartphone. The answer, at least at T-Mobile, is no. They do use it as an incentive to get the best device price, and strongly suggest it, but it is not required. For example, at the local T-Mobile retail shop, the 8520 Curve is $49.99 with a two year contract. If you speak with the sales rep, he will say "Yes, it is $49.99, but to get that price you would have to sign up for the $20 per month data plan." Many of us are construing this to mean that data plans are being required for smartphones, but that is not the case - data plans are required to get the $49.99 price for the device. You can get the device somewhere else, or pay a higher price, or buy the device online, and use it without the additional cost of a data plan. My 9700 was $129.99, with a 2-year contract, with no data plan required, at T-Mobile dot com. However, at the local Tmo retail store, it was $129.99 also - but to get that price locally (instant gratification) it would have required a $20 per month data plan.

biff2kplus1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    But the part you are missing is that the providers are looking out for the cases where people don't know what they are doing. Yeah if you are smart enough to get data disabled and only use wifi, great for you. But the fact remains that there are a LOT of stupid people out there. What the service providers need to do is completely disable data on accounts. No "accidental" data usage. Same situation with SMS, if you don't pay you can't send or receive. Not sure why they don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by biff2kplus1 View Post
    But the part you are missing is that the providers are looking out for the cases where people don't know what they are doing. Yeah if you are smart enough to get data disabled and only use wifi, great for you. But the fact remains that there are a LOT of stupid people out there. What the service providers need to do is completely disable data on accounts. No "accidental" data usage. Same situation with SMS, if you don't pay you can't send or receive. Not sure why they don't do that.
    That would be nice, but they're never going to disable data to protect "stupid" people - they're in this for the money, after all If you're smart, and you have teen-agers, you get the unlimited text option - which for me is 4 lines unlimited SMS/MMS for $9.95. If you're not, you have a cardiac when the bills start coming that have texting charges on them. Bad for the customer, but when the bill gets paid good for the corporate service provider!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123