Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by pdxmatts I know for a fact that TMO does not add the ... BlackBerry Bold forum

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    I know for a fact that TMO does not add the data plan on. I have two old Pearls on our plan for the kids that are not on a data plan.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Must be an AT&T thing-I guess they arent making enough money already
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    can you still get around it by using an unlocked BB from a different carrier? When I had my TMO Curve 8320, it didn't recognize it - my account showed unknown as phone type. Even though I did have a BB plan on my account, I'm pretty sure I could have turned it off and just used it for phone calls & text.

Of course, this was before the change they did in Nov 2009 to require data plans. I've sent them multiple emails suggesting that this is quite unethical if the customer has not received any handset discount from AT&T and is not planning on using data.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    I can honestly say with my iphone I was able to get the data package taken off it while I transitioned to my new device, everything works just fine without the fear of getting data charges cause kit detects no data plan on your account.

My friend has an 8310 with no data, its basically a talk and txt bb.

So as long as you don't go into a store and let them see the data happy device on a line w/o the data package, you'll be fine.

So yes its very possible to keep iphones, blackberries, sidekicks and other devices with sim cards on accounts with out the $30 data packages.

Just be careful, and enjoy the savings when you can.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

Antgod no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2148A220
    my kid had a curve on att and had them lock out the data plan so she couldnt get charged and they did.that was 6 mo. ago so maybe they have changed but back then(6 mo. ) you could lock out the data.
    Last edited by Antgod; 03-04-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    " B safe "

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I have to say that TMO does require the data plan if you upgrade to a new BB device.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    I know for a fact that TMO does not add the data plan on. I have two old Pearls on our plan for the kids that are not on a data plan.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by Antgod View Post
    my kid had a curve on att and had them lock out the data plan so she couldnt get charged and they did.that was 6 mo. ago so maybe they have changed but back then(6 mo. ) you could lock out the data.

If Im not mistaken, this new change was implemented in October 09. If you had a Berry on ATT before then with no data, youre good to go.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    What OS has everyone been running on these various devices....this has happened to a friend of mine also...I'm hoping its an ATT OS problem....I've changed his OS to a non-At&t....and had a buddy dump the data plan and put him back on pay per use....I'll keep ya posted on whether or not this works.

Feign no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAC View Post
    can you still get around it by using an unlocked BB from a different carrier? When I had my TMO Curve 8320, it didn't recognize it - my account showed unknown as phone type. Even though I did have a BB plan on my account, I'm pretty sure I could have turned it off and just used it for phone calls & text.
    This is what I did. Got an 8320 T-Mobile off of eBay, unlocked it, and just got the $30 unlimited data and text package. Phone showed up as unknown. When I got the 9700, it detected it that night so now I pay for the $35 BIS package. I think it's ludicrous that I don't get unlimited texts for that amount of money though.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have had my 8120 on T-Mobile with no plan after October 9 and they didn't require me to have a data plan.

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    So seems like for now use a non AT&T phone to get around it!

Quote Originally Posted by bmay82 View Post
    What OS has everyone been running on these various devices....this has happened to a friend of mine also...I'm hoping its an ATT OS problem....I've changed his OS to a non-At&t....and had a buddy dump the data plan and put him back on pay per use....I'll keep ya posted on whether or not this works.
    I'd be happy but surprised if this works. Don't they go by the IMEI? I thought AT&T has a list of the IMEIs for the phones they sell (and now the Nexus One from what I hear) and use that to determine if a smartphone or BB plan is necessary.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Please explain to me if you do not have a data plan, can only make calls and send texts, how you are using data? If youre SIM is not activated with BIS and ALL you want to do is use your Berry for texting and calling, how that differs from a "dumb phone"? Some people for whatever reason-financial, whatever, might want to use a Berry without a data plan. how is it fair that AT&T arbitrarily takes that choice away from them? That sounds pretty lame to me.
    It has been well documented that data can be accessed without a data plan. There are work arounds. No matter what it is AT&T policy and you will find that were they can they will enforce it. Do not get your panties in a wad! LOL!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

PIN/ID
    nada
    I don't wear panties, bro.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Sometimes crying will lead people to think one does.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    Its all about the mighty buck!!!

iLord is DEAD!

PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    Sometimes crying will lead people to think one does.
    Ok, if you say so. You're stating your opinion, and I'm stating mine, let's just let it go at that.
    Last edited by chokem; 03-06-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast