If I was to get an unlocked blackberry vs buy one from a provider, could ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Mojo123 no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry email services, should I buy it?

Advertisement

If I was to get an unlocked blackberry vs buy one from a provider, could I still use the same email services that the Cell Provider offers?
    The reason I ask is that I read on wikipedia that I can not change the "Blackberry PIN" ?

I have a friend who also has a service with a provider for this email and all, and he really wants to upgrade to the 9000 unlocked, but he is afraid he will loose those services. So If he buys an unlocked phone, does he loose all that?

I am new to blackberry and somewhat undecided, but I was thinking about selling my htc... Its a ok phone, but I just need something that will work.

Thanks

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well with a blackberry, you will need to have BIS or BES. for you, you will have to go with BIS to get all the features of push email and web browsing.

As for unlocking, you can use the phone with any gsm provider. I am sure there is probably a workaround to use the provided data plan, but I bet the carrier will make you change your plan to add BIS.

Blackberry PIN's are unique to the phone and can not be changed. think of it as a screenname for any IM program, but each phone has it's own screenname.
    My blackberry is anti-Obama Bin Llama

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have done this several times. It worked for me. Signed up with T-Mobile UK, initially with one of their locked phones. Have since migrated to several different BB's included unlocked ones (unlocked from new). The BIS interface fronted by the provider should allow you to swap devices.

Only issue I heard of is with some phones previously locked to one provider, then unlocked, can be an issue being used on another provider's BIS. That issue seems to vary by territory.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    The Pin has nothing to do with email. As long as your Service Provider offers BlackBerry Service (BIS), you will have email.

The only concern I have with getting an unlocked Bold is the source, there are a few floating around that are pre-production units and the Pins are banned.

Unfortunately, if you have a banned Pin, you will not get email.

A Pin is BlackBerry's equivalent to the IMEI number, no two are alike.

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    Aren't *some* device's (PINs) still associated with a provider (when they were originally locked to that provider? So they won't work with another provider's BIS?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~