Hey Guys, I went from a few Blackberries to the the Android system, gave that ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Blackberries->Android->Iphone 3GS->Iphone 4->to Blackberry BOLD 9700 :)

Advertisement

Hey Guys,

I went from a few Blackberries to the the Android system, gave that a try, then to the iPhone 3GS (tmobile), then the iPhone 3GS on ATT, then I tried the iPhone 4 and honestly that was what pushed me to finally get away from the iPhone AND Att.

Anyway, I am back into the blackberry world with a bold 9700 on TMO. Looking for friends, suggestions, tips, and anything that might've changed in the last 1.5 years. (yes, I did use AppWorld, but it was aweful when I had it )

Specifically, looking for good:

twitter client (is twittery berry still it?)
    weather (is berryweather still it?)
    html email (is that improved, or do I still need empowered pro?)
    any other good programs or interesting ones?

Anyway, glad to be back to the BB world!

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    What was so bad about the Iphone 4? I also own a 9700, but am looking for something a little different.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    After spending 8 days, I just gave up on the "this is how you should hold your phone".

Honestly -- I've been willing to put up with ATT for a lot of things, but out of every 3 calls, 1 person complains, or the call just drops. This was just too much for me. I really couldn't stand this. I tried a case, i tried holding with a different hand, and I tried holding it above the antenna, but it was terrible. In my house I had 4-5 bars with the iPhone 3GS, now I have 1-2, and the calls drop. If it doesn't drop, the other person complains that they can't hear me or it's very sporadic.

I love technology (~30 phones in the last 10 years), but at the end of the day ... it comes down to the fact that the phone HAS to work well as a phone. Especially since I use it for 2-3 hours a day for just calls

I would say -- try out the iPhone4 and see if it works for you. My wife loves it, so maybe I had a bad unit, but everyone at my work complains about the same problem.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Yeah welcome back! I did the rounds as well. But BB is addictive in the way it performs...that is if you're a serious user, and the others don't quite make it. I think with the up and coming OS 6.0 we'll be better off than anyone else.
    Regarding programs, BB has it's own Twitter. Alternatively you can look at Ubertwitter.
    BBW still sucks... Bellshare is king in the Weather. Wspecially after their latest improvements. They have a good program - Berry Buzz that I can't do without.
    You'll get the hang of it soon enough.
    Try these small plug-ins:
    http://www.atomichelix.com/downloads...lix_notify.jad

http://www.atomichelix.com/downloads...ix_taskify.jad

http://bberryapp.com/blackberryappli.../forwardreply/

And programs:

http://m.berryblow.com/ota/everyhour.jad

https://www.mylookout.com/m/start_do...orm=blackberry

http://m.btsidekick.com

They're all good !

dunit902 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I find the twitter client for blackberry works great, if you do @xxxxx you can just click it from anywhere and it will link to twitter.

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Welcome back to the good side ;-) I just came back muyself.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Thanks. That list looks interesting. I like the atomichelix software especially. The forward/reply one -- for some reason i've never had a need for it.

The Bellshare weather program was the first one I got as soon as I got the device. I ported my Empowered Pro and BeeJive licenses second.

I also installed Capture-It and I love it. I love how it especially integrates well into the menu system. This is one piece of software that I can't believe I lived without.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Gracias.

Almost forgot how insanely well the blackberry's speaker and speakerphone were. It sounds crytal clear. Oh, that and I can actually HEAR now when people call me when it's in the case inside the bottom of my bag or in the my pocket. I am absolutely in love with the TRUE push email which uses up almost no battery.

One thing that still pisses me off is the IMAP functionality. It's really frustrating not to have your folders. Corp Exchange works great, now get the same for IMAP. I know they have the free express service now, but I don't want to switch my whole Zimbra setup to their server.

Anyway, other than these things, the browser's HTML rendering engine needs to be re-worked, but that's coming w/ OS 6 right?

Does anyone know if OS6 will be available for the 9700?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Supposedly, yes, OS6 or a version thereof will be available for the newer devices, including the 9700.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Ive had my i4 for a few days now with zero problems. This thing is super fast, and everything works. Im getting 4 bars sittng in my living room, 2 bars with the 9700. I dont have any reception issues at all.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Chokem...I'm glad for you bud and since I'm gonna get one I'm keeping an eye on this...
    But I'm afraid you're drifting...

PIN/ID
    N/A
    So I am not sure about the iPhone 4. From a user media device -- the best. The battery *really* needs to be better on a device like that, specifically because: I went yesterday the whole day (13 hours) on my blackberry with 3 push email accounts (~150 emails yesterday), tons of SMS, some RSS reading, some browsing (~1 hour), about 2.5 hours of phone calls (if not a bit more), and 1 hour of slacker radio. My battery was at 60% when I went to bed.

That said, my wife kept her iPhone 4. She loves it. She also talks 15 minutes on the phone. About the holding the bars -- first day I had it, it didn't happen and I couldn't make it happen even if I tried. Starting with the second day, it started happening no matter if I held with left hand (i am a lefty), or my right.

Here's how I am judging this -- we have 4-5 bars everywhere in our apartment. The kitchen was always 4, BUT it would drop with the 3GS every ones in a while. With the iPhone 4, I have 2-3 bars everywhere in the house, and 1 in the kitchen, and it drops on EVERY call in the kitchen. If it doesn't drop, it ends up going on like "i can't hear you, say that again, I can't hear you at all now..." and on my end it's a bit fuzzy, but I can hear them. My last example is, what's really strange is in our building, it goes from 5 bars outside to 2 bar inside the lobby, and usually there's 1 bar in the stairwell. With the Iphone 4 there's 0 bars (searching), and then it takes about 5+ minutes for me to regain a signal when I am upstairs (in the 4-5 bar area), or outside of the building (again 4-5 bar area). What I did was hit airplnae mode, wait 15-20 seconds and hit it again which gave me 5 bars instantly...and then dropped back to 2-3 (where as with the iPhone 3GS, same location it's 4-5 bars). So anyway, I am purely going off of this, and the fact that in a 10 minute con-call @ work, I dropped out 3 times because it would do the 5..4..3..2..1 bar, where my co-workers had 5 or sometimes 4 bars.

I personally saw incredibly bad reception and low bars, which normally I don't even look at because i've noticed sometimes in places with ATT where 4-5 bars has a fuzzy reception, and with 1 bar you can hear someone and they can hear you perfectly. But the deal breaker for me was that over 3 days everyone i talked to said:
    1.) that they can't hear me
    2.) that it's static-y
    3.) the called dropped
    4.) in areas where I knew for a fact I had perfect reception (and i don't mean the city -- i mean areas down to 10 by 10 feet), I couldn't sometimes make a call with the IPhone4.

While i've read and everyone keeps saying that it has the best antenna yet and the best reception (and maybe this is it), the antenna placement is terrible. yes all antenna's lose some signal when held -- that's why they are at the top of the phone, and not at the bottom where you have to hold it in order not to drop it.

I did try the bumper, and it did not help much (although it did a bit -- bars went up by 1 usually). Same problems on calls though.

So anyway, my conclusion -- if you make VERY few calls, all this is probably irrelevant, and you should get it. Especially if you want a fantastic media device (smaller iPad basically). If you actually use your phone for a phone, it is the worse than the $50 Motorola v66 that I had 10+ years ago. -- hell that was better because it didn't drop the calls and people could hear me. Given that I use my phone about 2-3 hours a day for actual talk time (because of work), it was a terrible choice for me.