Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Any comments on who is better? AT&T or T-Mobile ( Only regarding the 9700)... BlackBerry Bold forum

ItsaRaid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217B8701

Advertisement

Any comments on who is better? AT&T or T-Mobile ( Only regarding the 9700)

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    I don't think that is an even comparison. AT&T has the Bold as a 3G phone. To my knowledge the only 3G blackberry for TMO is the 9700. So if you are a TMO customer, there is no question, you have to go with the 9700. Plus TMO has UMA calling, which would be essential. The question would probably be, who provides the best service, Edge and 3G. The phone will be exactly the same, other then the branding on it. Just my opinion though.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Thanks for the review Hulk I have been debating for a week now, reading all the pros and cons that everyone is posting. Although I really want a new device, I think I will stick to the 9000 for now and save $$ for other things

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Although I appreciate your opinions BHD I feel the need to correct you when you say it's the smallest Blackberry ever made. I know clearly you were exaggerating but surprisingly, the 8520, 8900 and 9700 all share the same dimensions except for the depth or "thinness". The 8900 still holds this title as the "Thinnest, Qwerty Blackberry" device. Next is the 8520. Obviously the differences rely in the keyboard layout when pertaining to size. The Bold 9000's screen is larger by a scant 6mm. Though I don't agree with everything said, I can agree that it's a personal preference. For me the 9700 was perfect for many reasons. Better form factor, battery life, camera. The processor remains the same @624 MHz. Forward thinking technology with the optical trackpad which in my opinion just blows the whole trackball experience out of the water. Although the 9000 has a larger screen, the better resolution sides with the 9700. All of this coupled with UMA (Since I'm with T-Mo) makes this the perfect device.
    Nokia N900 32GB [Unlocked]
    ----------------------------------------
    Version: [PR 1.3] 20.2010.36-2

Flash Memory: A-Data 16GB SDHC CL6-Turbo
    Overclocked @1Ghz

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Couldn't agree more drew. Well put !

jimroe no está en línea Stack level 1
    Good thread.

I just went from the 8900 to the 9700. I looked at both the 9000 and the 8900 and just couldn't see myself with something as big as the 9000 - I wanted something much more compact, thus the 8900. I loved it - still do - but the trackpad and more solid feel (helped by being a scant bit thicker) and especially the speed of the 9700 made the decision easy.

I have to admit to still preferring the keyboard of the 8900 - the comments about stiffer keys are well founded - but I'm getting used to it. Other than that it's the perfect BB for me.

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHulkDiese View Post
    Ideally, if they would upgrade the camera and add the trackpad to the Bold, it would be perfect.
    I concur that these two upgrades would make the 9000 an excellent phone.

Perfect ? No. Only because we are all individuals with different preferences.

It's the very reason in my opinion there will never be a perfect phone and I'm just fine with that.

My take on it, is the most important of the two is the trackpad, as the trackball requires too much tear down to service or replace.

If RIM would have used the same trackball on the 9000, that was easily removed from the front, as on the 83xx series then I would not have have a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    I feel the type of people that bought a 9000 loved the size and roomy keyboard and now why would RIM take that away with the new bold?
    The large screen & keyboard along with 3G, is precisely the reason I bought a Bold 9000.

At the time RIM positioned the Bold 9000 as the top of the line. They made a big point of bragging about the hi-res large display, keyboard and other features.

Suddenly to find them reducing the form factor to a near copy of the Curve 8900, left me highly disillusioned. It's one of the most questionable moves I've seen RIM make. That said the new Curve 9700 is not bad, as I bought one. Not because it's a Bold, but because it's a better Curve in most areas.

I greatly prefer the style of the keys on the 83xx series over the shrunken Bold style keyboard of the 9700. Also based on my reading I'm not alone, the shrunken keyboard has been the topic of many a post on forums and reviews across the web.

Perhaps it took a mistake like this to wake RIM up to the fact that not everyone wants a Curve.

Yes, a very large majority of users seem to prefer the Curve 8900 form factor. So give them the Curve 9700 and give us lovers of the REAL BOLD 9000, an upgrade worthy of top of the line status.

I would not be surprised to see RIM actually do something like this in a year or so, as they love to make us wait.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    Although I really want a new device, I think I will stick to the 9000 for now and save $$ for other things
    A very smart move from where I sit in this theater.

Quote Originally Posted by drew4flt72 View Post
    The Bold 9000's screen is larger by a scant 6mm.
    When it comes to display size, and keyboard size, the differences are far from scant. On a proportional basis, in percentage points, the Real Bold 9000 is far nicer and more useful, for those who prefer the larger size in these two areas.

I have both the Real Bold 9000, and the new Curve 9700.

In a side by side comparison, the smaller display and keyboard are not only very noticeable but limiting as well.

That said I do find the 9700 a very nice Curve.

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    When it comes to display size, and keyboard size, the differences are far from scant. On a proportional basis, in percentage points, the Real Bold 9000 is far nicer and more useful, for those who prefer the larger size in these two areas.

I have both the Real Bold 9000, and the new Curve 9700.

In a side by side comparison, the smaller display and keyboard are not only very noticeable but limiting as well.

That said I do find the 9700 a very nice Curve.
    I agree with you on the size issue. Ultimately that is what turned me away from the 9700. After placing it beside my Bold, it looked cheap and little. Just my opinion. After using those stiff baby keys and then using the 9000's keys, there is no question which phone I am keeping out of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHulkDiese View Post
    I agree with you on the size issue. Ultimately that is what turned me away from the 9700. After placing it beside my Bold, it looked cheap and little. Just my opinion. After using those stiff baby keys and then using the 9000's keys, there is no question which phone I am keeping out of the two.
    Very well said!

Only because I favor the RIM platform for business, did I buy the 9700 to give it a fair test. As for me, the "in-store" demo experience is simply not enough to give any phone a fair evaluation.

Now that I've had the 9700 long enough, having used it 14 hours per day (which is my normal usage) for evaluation, I've decided to stick with the 9000.

It was a very easy decision, as once one has had the 9000 experience it's hard to go backwards to the smaller form factor.

The true difference of consequence, between the Curve and the Bold is the 6mm in width. This is just enough to make a very significant difference in the typing experience, and the viewing area of the display.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12