Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stackers, I just thought I would post my opinions and experiences with the 9700 here ... BlackBerry Bold forum

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200

BigHulkDiese's Experience with the 9700

Advertisement

Stackers,

I just thought I would post my opinions and experiences with the 9700 here just in case it could help somoeone make the right decision for themselves before buying. Again, these are just my Opinions and based on my experiences with my particular 9700 (ATT banded).

First off, I have owned almost every single Blackberry made (excluding the peral or peral flip). 8700, 8310x2, 8820, 9000x2, Storm, 8900, 8520, 9700. I bought my 9700 2 days before the official release for ATT and was so excited! It was like Christmas come early. I was using the 8520 and was impressed with the little guy. I knew I wasn't going to keep it because it didn't have GPS and because the keyboard was too small. The 9700 is just as small as the 8520. I played with the phone for a couple days and here are my revelations:

CONS:
    -They keyboard is as small as the 8520's, and surprisingly feels worse then the 8520's. The Bold style keyboard is awesome when it is big enough to use properly. They keyboard was also very stiff. I had a bad problem with one of my keys (K) but even all the others were really really stiff. To me, part of the pleasure of using a qwerty keyboard is the satisfying "click" of the keys as you type.
    - The phone is small!! It is the smallest blackberry made. I thought the 8520 would take that title, but the 9700 is just as small. It is smaller then the 8900.

Pros:
    - The trackpad is awesome. Im not saying that it is that much better then the trackball, but it is more satisfying to scroll with.
    - The threaded SMS is awesome, just like BBM.
    -The camera is great! Probably the best camera on a blackberry hands down.

Final thoughts: I was lucky enough to have 4 Blackberrys in the house when I was making my decision. I had my 9000, 8520, 9700, and my sisters 8900. Placing all the phones side by side, using the keyboard of all of them to type the same paragraph, and judging the weight and feel of each in my hand, the 9000 Bold just took the cake. This machine types like a dream. Best keyboard on the market. The feel in the hand is amazing as well. The camera isn't as good, but with 3G, wifi, and GPS the hardware nearly matches up to the 9700. In the end you have to make the decision yourself. I have since gotten rid of all my berries, only the Bold remains.

I hope this will help some of you out there on the journey to find your own Berry.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Very nice unbiased review BHD. It is true what you said, it all comes down to what the user ultimately decides to do. I for one am very much in love with my 9700 wisest choice I've made so far in purchasing a brand spanking new bb. It has everything I need at the moment and more. Love the threaded messages/the alarm settings...and the list goes on and on and on. I never liked the 9000 because of its size- great screen and other things but if I had to choose between the 9700 or bold I would go with the 9700 because it has a whole lotta new features the 9000 lacks ( a tad outdated) . Having said this, the choice is yours guys. We're only stating our opinions of the 9700
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks for bringing pertinent points forward. Help and opinions are always a good source for decision taking.
    Regarding the comparisons you make it is obvious that the battle of choice will be between Bold and the 9700.
    Exclude the 8900 because it hasn't 3G. The choice, ultimately, will be a subjective one - everybody for himself. For me it's the 9700.

PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    True. The battle is ultimately whether or not you want a Bold or a Curve...meaning that the Bold 2 should be in the Curve family because of the size. It isn't even 3/4 the size of the Bold. 9700 is very sleek. It is just not what you think of when thinking Bold. So if you like Curve size devices then 9700 is for you.

nuangel1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    thanks for your review.i am due for upgrade .the 8310 was my 1st bb .but as much as i love the phone i want 3g and wifi.i don't get the best signal at my apt .i have een researching the 8900 9000 and 9700.it was hard choice for me ecause i prefer the curve keyboard of the 8900 and the feel of the phone .but no 3g no 8900.i held the 9000 it felt big in my hand only has 2.o camera and i did not like the keyboard as much.i held the 9700 it was comfortable .has 3g and wifi plus 3.2 camera.my only concern is the trackpad getting used to it and that its loose on some.and keyoard is small.but i decided on the 9700 ordered it for great price online can't wait for it to get here.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Good review BHD. I may just keep this 9000 after all. My hands are big and I found the 8900 a little too small. The only thing I really miss is the 3.2 auto focus camera, but I have a canon digital for that-lol.

PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    Good idea Chokem. I'm going to keep the 9000 for a while too.

PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    Ideally, if they would upgrade the camera and add the trackpad to the Bold, it would be perfect.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    ^^ exactly. I feel the type of people that bought a 9000 loved the size and roomy keyboard and now why would RIM take that away with the new bold?

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T
    i thought the 8100 was the smallest blackberry ever made........

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    BHD you also have to remember that a lot of us TMO guys have to go with the 9700 because the 3g frequency is different than the one on the 9000. I was a little upset that the screen size is the same as the 8900, you are 100% right in saying that it should have been called the curve 3 if you will as opposed to the bold 2
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I love my new bold/bold2/curve/curve remix/curve 3/javelin2/9700/ or simply put ... The Onyx

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHulkDiese View Post
    Ideally, if they would upgrade the camera and add the trackpad to the Bold, it would be perfect.
    My thoughts exactly-a little more app memory would be a plus also
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

mbranscum no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2161A8BC
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Good review BHD. I may just keep this 9000 after all. My hands are big and I found the 8900 a little too small. The only thing I really miss is the 3.2 auto focus camera, but I have a canon digital for that-lol.
    Has anyone else noticed how fast the 9700 autofoucuses and takes the picture? It's about twice as fast as my 8900 and comparable to a digital camera.
    Follow me on Twitter

Cool Smartphone User Guy

PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    I agree with that. The camera on the 9700 was fantastic. I just couldn't justify having to be so careful typing, fixing typos all the time, for better pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast