Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone have an idea of the anticipated long term effects on the screen and trackball ... BlackBerry Bold forum

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

bedside mode question

Advertisement

Anyone have an idea of the anticipated long term effects on the screen and trackball light with bedside mode use? I've used bedside every night since I got my bold and with that consideration, the screen on time will be much more than my previous berries with screen and trackball light time-out.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    It will be minimal. Definitely not enough to be concerned.

There is no burn in (not a CRT)

The only thing I can think of, is the back light. If it is LED, then there is no concern, but if it is fluorescent, then it can burn out. I am sure you will switch devices before that happens.

Even in bedside mode, the screen brightness is minimized.
    Last edited by Ge; 11-21-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Spelling

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    So the question becomes: are bold screens backlit with led or fluorescent?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Good question. I am going to find out.

*** Edit ***

I feel stupid. The answer is LED, simply because it is less taxing on the battery. The small screen makes LED ideal for this.

The following is copy and pasted from another forum. It was posted by Mark Rejhon

Someone else asked the EXACT same question

----------------------------

Most LED's fade away rather than suddenly giving out. LED's of the typical intensity now used in cellphone backlighting, will potentially last well over 100,000 hours, but at diminished intensity.

LED's driven at dim levels in a bedroom at 10% backlight intensity, will probably last 500,000 - 1,000,000 hours or more, since the Bold uses PWM-driven backlighting. (pulse width modulation), which means for dim backlight at 10%, it's 90% off and 10% on. PWM used for LED dimming, typically greatly prolongs LED life... Under-driven white LED's have amazingly long life.

The hours of lifetime you see quoted for LED's are typically at their full rated power. This is true if your Bold was outdoors in the sun, not at bedside -- at that bedside mode intensity, it would probably last 50 years running 24/7.
    Last edited by Ge; 11-21-2008 at 01:11 AM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    Anyone have an idea of the anticipated long term effects on the screen and trackball light with bedside mode use?.
    There are two common types of backlighting that are used in laptops for example.

1) CCFL
    Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp

2) LED
    Light Emitting Diode

Both do in fact burn out.

CCFL has an average lifespan of 30,000 to 40,000 hrs. The lifespan is shortened the more "cycles" it is exposed to (on & off)
    LED has an average lifespan of 100,000 hrs. The lifespan of an LED is NOT affected by cycles.

While I have not looked up what is used in a Bold, I feel confident it's LED. By the way, as implemented the LED would be expected to be good for 10yrs before it burned out.
    Hope this helps.
    Sent via Archer's BlackBerry

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    One of my devices is a Pearl 8100 that I got second hand. It does have burn in on the screen since the previous owner apparenlty never changed their theme (Rim's standard Dimension one). If I have it on a white screen I can see a very faint light gray impression of the clouds used in the background of the Dimension theme.

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    thanks guys... bedside mode it is!! :-) so if i left it on all the time, 24/7, it would last 11.5ish years... i think im good.

100,000 hours * (1 year/8760 hours) = 11.4 years

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    thanks guys... so if i left it on all the time, 24/7, it would last 11.5ish years... i think im good.

100,000 hours * (1 year/8760 hours) = 11.4 years
    Yes & No
    The only hope of you ever getting this much life is if you _never_ run over it with your car...
    Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    What was the "in" phone 10 yrs ago? Motorola Startac? I had a black one with the green letters... $200...

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    not sure how this is related to bedside mode, but i had a nokia candy bar phone.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    The bedside mode was a little silly to me.

Joewoo, I remember the Startac, it was the best back then. It used no LED lighting back then!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Its related to bedside mode cuz......they were talking about leds lasting 10 yrs... And it got me thinking... Who uses a 10 year old phone... Then I started thinking what WAS the phone 10 yrs ago.... Then I remembered my motorola startac... And now I'm thinking mine didn't have green letters... I think the grey verson did... Maybe they were yellow... Ionno...

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Yeah those nokia candy bars were everywhere... Then they made those miniature ones... I went through 3 of them in a single year cuz I kept trying to solder on different color keypad leds and kept messing up...

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Quote Originally Posted by joewoo View Post
    Its related to bedside mode cuz......they were talking about leds lasting 10 yrs... And it got me thinking... Who uses a 10 year old phone... Then I started thinking what WAS the phone 10 yrs ago.... Then I remembered my motorola startac... And now I'm thinking mine didn't have green letters... I think the grey verson did... Maybe they were yellow... Ionno...

i see... if thats the case, then i understand... so, dont forget the sodium nitrite!

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    What's sodium nitrite for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast