Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was going to spend some time figuring out how to get the 9700 from ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Thumbs up Beat the Data Plan on your TMO 9700

Advertisement

I was going to spend some time figuring out how to get the 9700 from T-Mobile to be able to access the internet/email without purchasing a T-Mobile Data Plan. I figure if you have a Wi-Fi enabled Smartphone that is your property, and you have a Wi-Fi connection available that is not part of the TMO network, you should be able to enjoy that privilege without having to pay the fee.

Please note that I am not recommending "stealing" from T-mobile. If you use the actual T-Mobile network for the internet, through either 3G, gprs or their HotSpot network, YOU NEED TO PAY FOR THE DATA PLAN. However, if you have a Wi-Fi connection available that is not part of the Tmo network, there's no reason why you should not be able to use your Smartphone to access the internet. I have a wireless router at my casa and an account at Roadrunner; additionally I like to connect to the internet on my device where public Wi-Fi is available, like at several restaurants/fast food places, malls, hotels etc. Since the phone is my personal property, and the networks I connect to are not T-Mobile networks, there is no moral or legal issue.

The two methods to beat the data plan are very simple. The first, which is easy and the recommended method, took no research to discover: It was mentioned in a thread here at Pinstack called Blackberry WiFi in the BlackBerry 8900 forum: http://forums.pinstack.com/f225/blackberry_wifi-118507/ by Stronghold.
    It is simply to download an aftermarket browser, and use it instead of the BlackBerry browser. I downloaded and am using Opera Mini 5. By bypassing the BB browser, the device is able to access the internet without the data plan, and I am also able to make/receive phone calls while browsing if I have both 3G and Wi-Fi enabled. You will be unable to use 3G for the internet (because that is Tmo's network) but you can use Wi-Fi.

The second method is a little more of a pain, but can be done if you prefer: that is to simply start your 9700 without the SIM card. By doing that, you can even use the BlackBerry browser to surf the web. It's a pain, because your phone is disabled and BBs take a l-o-n-g time to reboot, but it is another option. I got on the internet using this second option so I could OTA the Opera browser to be able to use option 1.

The only other thing to get around is the misconception that T-Mobile is requiring the purchase of the data plan with the sale of each Smartphone: Right now, untrue. I tried to buy the 9700 at my local Tmo shop and it WAS a requirement! But, that very same afternoon, I bought it at the T-Mobile website at the same price, and the data plan was NOT required. Looks like buying online is the way to go if you want new! Another option is to get the handheld used or from a third party (Ebay, Craig's list, etc. . .)
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 05-02-2010 at 10:27 AM.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    if
    you have a Wi-Fi connection available that is not part of the Tmo network, there's no reason why you should not be able to use your Smartphone to access the internet. I have a wireless router at my casa and an account at Roadrunner; additionally I like to connect to the internet on my device where public Wi-Fi is available, like at several restaurants/fast food places, malls, hotels etc.
    FYI, I have had a pre-paid T-mo 8100 for quite a while and have used it to browse the internet via wi-fi. Even some apps will work via wi-fi without a data plan: Opera mini, Berryweather, the IM+ apps, Slacker, Ubertwitter, etc. I don't bother to boot up without the SIM because I use it as a second phone.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Go to Options > Mobile Network and select "Wi-Fi Only" for your data connection and it will allow you to browse using the hotspot browser for free if you're on Wi-Fi. As Jblackfish noted, some apps will work over a Wi-Fi only connection if you configure them to. Vlingo and BeeJive are two others where you can select Wi-Fi as a connection option. If that doesn't work, using Direct TCP usually will. Thanks for the write-up too Mark. Always glad to see other Stackers creating these guides to help others.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Go to Options > Mobile Network and select "Wi-Fi Only" for your data connection and it will allow you to browse using the hotspot browser for free if you're on Wi-Fi.
    I tried this, and at least on my device it didn't work: I set it to "Wi-Fi Only" and attempted to access the internet through my home router using the BlackBerry browser, and it defaulted to the T-Mobile upgrade site. Might be something OS or device specific, but when I try the same thing without the SIM card inserted or with the aftermarket browser I get the full internet

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    You were using the default browser or the HotSpot browser? I have to use the HotSpot browser in order to get it to work.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

I don't seem to be able to get Vlingo to work on my (wifi) 8100. I'm using Hotspot Browser, wifi preferred and have all my permissions set to "allow" - the only options are Direct TCP, BIS or MDS. Maybe it the version I tried:L 4.5.2 - dunno.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 05-02-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

BTW Opera Mini 5 rocks on my phone . . . Thumbs up!

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    thats a good way to beat the system- imo data plan is a must on a bb

mark im taking your word on OM5 and im dl now
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I don't seem to be able to get Vlingo to work on my (wifi) 8100. I'm using Hotspot Browser, wifi preferred and have all my permissions set to "allow" - the only options are Direct TCP, BIS or MDS. Maybe it the version I tried:L 4.5.2 - dunno.
    The 8100 has Wi-Fi? I've used a couple of 8100 Pearls and neither had Wi-Fi. Was it a later addition to the device, or carrier specific?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    The 8100 has Wi-Fi? I've used a couple of 8100 Pearls and neither had Wi-Fi. Was it a later addition to the device, or carrier specific?
    Oops - 8120. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Oops - 8120. Sorry!
    Ha! Now I feel better about myself. To have owned a device for a while and not even realize it had Wi-Fi . . . I would have had Hayden remove the "Device Pro" designation lol

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I have an 8120 on prepaid also. I can enable WiFi and edge but I can only text and use the browser. I am not able to use any apps, including the new Twitter app. I get the message that the service is not available.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I have an 8120 on prepaid also. I can enable WiFi and edge but I can only text and use the browser. I am not able to use any apps, including the new Twitter app. I get the message that the service is not available.
    I think if you start it without the SIM (if it's Tmo) you should be able to use Wi-Fi and all the aps - - Your mileage may vary, however, I've never tried it on an 8120. But give it a shot! BTW good to "see" you EricaJ1073!

It's an unlocked T-Mo phone.

The only apps that worked were Opera Mini and the BB browser. Nothing else worked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast