Ok, I have read a ton of threads and there is mixed information. First, I ... BlackBerry Bold forum

droby no está en línea Stack level 1

BB Bold SIM and Iphone 3G

Advertisement

Ok, I have read a ton of threads and there is mixed information.
    First, I am a diehard BB Bold user and I just bought a locked 3g iphone.
    I am not switching but will use iphone when I feel like it.
    I previously had a BB Curve 8300 and used a 2G iphone by switching the sim card b/t them.
    I had a bb data plan and had no problems using either phone in terms of internet, etc. Of course, email is different.
    First, should I unlock the iphone 3g, as I here att is cracking down on data plans and unlocking appears to be a better situation in keeping att at bay in discovering.
    Has anyone got some real experience switching from Bold to iphone with a BB data plan?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    If I would get an unlocked I phone and put my sim into it, why would AT&T be able to force a data plan on my account? This would be them making a change to my account and then I should be able to cancel the plan with no fee's. They would be adding to my account without me saying it's okay

droby no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
    If I would get an unlocked I phone and put my sim into it, why would AT&T be able to force a data plan on my account? This would be them making a change to my account and then I should be able to cancel the plan with no fee's. They would be adding to my account without me saying it's okay
    I would think that they could do so because you are not using the phone you purchased under contract.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Your not paying to use the phone, your paying to use the service they provide. Heads would roll if they "forced" a different plan on me. I believe that would be in breach of contract on their part as they can't change anything on your account without authorization from you. The only thing I can see them doing is having some way of making the data plans different( I don't think its possible, and probably would be way too expensive on their part). I don't think they really care if your using an iphone or a bold as long as their getting your 30-35 dollars every month for data.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    You can swap SIM's back and forth if you want and don't need to JB the phone. AT&T can tell when your using the iPhone and may catch up to you and request you switch plans to stay in line with the iPhone data plan (it's different) than a Bold data plan.
    However if your switching to the iPhone on weekends or not very often I don't think AT&T will give you any problems. They don't like it and will only request you call or notify them when you make the SIM swap so they can also switch the plans on their end also.

Many ppl swap SIM's for various reasons, you should be fine.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    Heads would roll if they "forced" a different plan on me. ~

LOL!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    Using a BB data plan in an iPhone the only feature you will lack is visual voicemail. You will get a TXT from ATT telling you that your phone isnt on the correct plan but you should be fine continuing on with a BB data plan. I spoke with an ATT rep whenever I first bought my first iPhone a while back.

If you dont have a data plan and ATT detects you using an iPhone dont be shocked when you see your bill next month, and it shows an extra $30 for the iPhone data plan. Its in the TOS that you MUST have a data plan with this phone.

***From ATT's Site*** TOS
    Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices including iPhone and other designated Smartphones and PDA's. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using iPhone or other designated Smartphone or PDA without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee. Use of iPhone 3G to access corporate email, company intranet sites, and/or other business applications requires an Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone. For applicable rates, terms and conditions, see AT&T Business Plans for iPhone 3G brochure.

If you are using an iPhone plan and put it in a BB you will lack anything that deals with BB services ie: email, App world, BB browser [non Media Net], etc... You will however still have access to internet via MediaNet.
    Last edited by neorabid; 06-26-2009 at 07:56 PM.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.

Instrumentality no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22C7107B
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it physically impossible to change the SIM in an iphone? I thought they had to punch it up in a computer like they do to change phones on a CDMA carrier?

Or is it just a matter of cracking the supposedly non-user-servicable case open?

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Instrumentality View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it physically impossible to change the SIM in an iphone? I thought they had to punch it up in a computer like they do to change phones on a CDMA carrier?

Or is it just a matter of cracking the supposedly non-user-servicable case open?
    I know it can be done because they changed the SIM card on my son's iPhone at my local AT&T store. They gave him the old SIM when they were done. I didn't see how they did it though.

neorabid no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    neorabid
    you can do it with a paperclip or the sim removal tool on the top of the iphone. the tray slides out and you can replace it.

Sim card removal
    Last edited by neorabid; 06-26-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    Quotes to live by:
    • Inspiration is like a lost sock. When your searching you can never find it, and when it appears, you least expect it.
    • There are no exceptions to the rule that everybody likes to be an exception to the rule.
    • Ideas are the factors that lift civilization. They create revolutions. There is more dynamite in an idea than in many bombs.
    • Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.