I apologize if this is a silly/stupid/n00b thing to ask, and recognize that this is ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Phylum no está en línea Stack level 1

BB Bold Service Books Question (MMS+AIM+YM!+WLM)

Advertisement

I apologize if this is a silly/stupid/n00b thing to ask, and recognize that this is may be an unusual question. I've read a number of posts on here, Crackberry and BlackBerry Forums but I've not found a clear answer on this nor have I gotten this to work.

I'm a T-Mobile subscriber, and former user of a BB 8800. When I first discovered that I could connect to AIM, Yahoo! (YM!) and Windows Live Messenger (WLM) on my 8800 I set out to get it working! I downloaded the apps, tried to connect & received the dreaded "Service not enabled for this hand held" error. Confused, I Goggled It™ and after some searching found a backup file online that contained the service books which allowed me to connect to AIM, YM! and WLM. Everything worked fine, and was well.

I recently purchased a[n AT&T branded] Bold 9000 & used the Device Switch Wizard to migrate from old to new. Everything seemed to work fine. Once the dust settled, I tested & successfully connected to AIM, YM! & WLM so all was merry. Having a camera now, I naturally wanted to test MMS, however when I created an MMS message, I received an error stating that there was no service book for this item & that it would be saved as a draft. Perplexed, as I suspected the service book would have come down automagically, I checked the service books but didn't see MMS Config or MMS Config 2.0.

After using T-Mobile's self-service web interface, I called T-Mobile for additional assistance with getting service books resent. (I even tried switching to multiple BB devices & sending the service books each time.) After a lengthy conversation they weren't able to help. Continuing my Google quest, I found a back up file containing the service books for T-Mobile MMS, followed the instructions for loading it (removing the browser, restoring the service books & reloading the browser) and now MMS works. Great - A complete BB, or so I thought...

Shortly after getting the service book loaded, I wanted to jump on AIM & WLM but was greeted by: "Service not enabled for this hand held". Oh joy. Again, I went through the 'rigamoro' of contacting T-Mobile and having the service books resent to no avail, & scouring the net for a MMS+AIM/YM!/WLM service book backup file. At the time (within a week or two of AT&T relasing the Bold) I couldn't find anything and I don't think that's changed based on my, albeit, brief search attempts.

My first question is this: Has any T-Mobile subscriber succeeded in getting AIM, YM!, WLM working on their Bold without sacrificing their ability to send & receive MMS?
    (Vise versa - Has anyone succeeded sending & receiving MMS' without sacrificing their ability to use AIM, Yahoo!, WLM?)

My second question: Is it possible to edit the backup (.IPD) file in such a way that one could extract and manipulate the service books to add and/or remove specific service books? (read: I don't mean in theory, I mean has anyone successfully accomplished this or have proof of concept?)

In either case, I'd be interested in speaking with anyone at length about both of these.

And of course, I'm open to suggestions on how to get the chat programs working.
    Oh, and one more thing: Yes I admit & fully recognize I could use IM+ or Beejive or one of the many other multi-network applications out there. But I know it can work and would like to see if others are interested in putting their heads together to see what we can come up with.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, and I wish everyone a safe & fun New Year celebration!

J

bluebugangel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Plz Ask
    Just a thought, as I am not sure which exact items you downloaded from google, but if you go to mobile.blackberry.com on your bold and scroll to applications and find the correct ones you want, you can re download them on your phone and they should all work together. I have AT&T and this is the only way I could get the programs to work with out that stupid message your referred to above about the service not being enabled.

It's worth a shot since AT&T and T-Mobile are closely related. Hope it works, good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to review my post. All three applications are loaded on my device. I've removed & readded several times without seeing any new service books. This is such a bizzare affaire:
    If I wipe my current service books and load the ones I found a while back, I see the AIM, YM! and WLM service books but then lose the ability to send & receive MMS'.
    Its just unusual that I can't have both and I find it odd that no one else has reported this problem.

Thanks again. Despite my experience, I don't mind going through the uninstall/reinstall process.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Is there a reason why the MMS service books disappear when you load the Instant Messenger ones? Are all the service books present? Does one function just stop working?

Keep in mind, the service books you are using are not designed for the Bold and probably for the Curve, since T-Mobile does not have the device.

One last question, since Live! and Yahoo can communicate with each other, is there a reason why you need both?

Hi Ge - thanks for the response! I'll try to answer my questions, but I feel I'm not being clear in describing the problem.
    Is there a reason why the MMS service books disappear when you load the Instant Messenger ones?
    The MMS service books never disappeared as they weren't there to begin with. After I inserted my T-Mobile SIM card into the device and it registered onto the network, a number of T-Mobile service books came down, just not the MMS service book(s). When you perform a restore, the Desktop Manager Program warns that it will overwrite anything in that database, which is where the problem lies.

Are all the service books present?
    I guess my response question is: What exactly are 'all the service books'? What I can say is this: When I performed the Service Book backup/restore step from my old 8800 to the 9000, it brought over everything, service books included which contained the ones for the chat apps. The MMS service book(s) didn't come over because it was never present on the 8800. I'm not sure why it wasn't present but it may be due to the lack of the device having a camera - but that sounds silly to me. (Anyone care to comment on that?)

Does one function just stop working?
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.

Yes, the service books that were sent to me by T-Mobile were probably designed for the Curve or the Pearl or one of their other BB devices - but they work. And I did receive service books for things I don't use and/or are designed for the Pearl, like Weather and Stocks and IM. (I have no real use for those.)

I'm in a situation where I cannot figure out a way for me to get both the MMS and chat service books on at the same time:
    If I copy over the service books from my 8800 to my 9000, everything works, except for MMS because that service book doesn't exist on my 8800, and I've not been successful in getting that sent to my device.
    If I load up the service books I found online to address the MMS issue, it overwrites the existing service books removing the service books for all chat apps, but MMS works.

I don't need both WLM & YM! - I'd be happy with just WLM

Is there anyone on here who is using a Bold on T-Mobile that is able to use AIM+YM!/WLM and send/receive MMS'?

logysis no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phylum View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to review my post. All three applications are loaded on my device. I've removed & readded several times without seeing any new service books. This is such a bizzare affaire:
    If I wipe my current service books and load the ones I found a while back, I see the AIM, YM! and WLM service books but then lose the ability to send & receive MMS'.
    Its just unusual that I can't have both and I find it odd that no one else has reported this problem.

Thanks again. Despite my experience, I don't mind going through the uninstall/reinstall process.
    Hi, could you send me the service book for WLM?

Thanx so much.
    My email is: logysis@hotmail.com

viralkhatri no está en línea Stack level 1
    hello am using bold 9000. i have installed YAHOO MESSENGER AN GOOGLE TALK.
    now my handset is unlocked and its of AT&T usa. its showing message service not enabled for the handheld.

so can any one give me step by step solution on my mail address viralkhatri@gmail.com