Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After I realized that I was bouncing back and forth between the BB browser and ... BlackBerry Bold forum

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C

BB Bold Browser vs Opera Mini

Advertisement

After I realized that I was bouncing back and forth between the BB browser and Opera Mini daily, I thought it might be a decent enough idea to post up a list of pros and cons to each solution as I see them.

Let us begin...

*BB Browser*

Pros:
    - native integration with the BlackBerry OS
    - better data compression for faster load times
    - precision selection with trackball guided cursor
    - faster/simpler shortcut keys and bookmark sorting
    - ability to add phone numbers listed online to address book quickly from within browser
    - browser automatically switches between Wifi and 3G/2G connections as available

Cons:
    - font size/word wrap issues present in many forums
    - slow speed connecting to/rendering secure pages

* Opera Mini *

Pros:
    - ability to sync bookmarks with Opera PC browser
    - no font size/word wrap issues
    - vastly superior text input method with spell check
    - no difference in connection/rendering speed between secure and insecure pages

Cons:
    - message notification icons/network strength not displayed on screen while browsing
    - browser does not automatically use available Wifi connections, must be set manually
    - no trackball driven selection cursor available in mobile view and cursor not fluid/precise in non-mobile view
    - sorting bookmarks somewhat slow, items can only be moved up or down the list one space at a time

I'm sure there are some things that I may have missed on each side of the fence, but this is what I have experienced over the past week or so of using both browsers.

In the end I would really much rather see the BB browser issues addressed then use Opera Mini, but for now I will continue to use Opera for checking secure pages and for doing lengthy forum posts...everything else is done via the BB browser.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by cornelious0_0 View Post
    After I realized that I was bouncing back and forth between the BB browser and Opera Mini daily, I thought it might be a decent enough idea to post up a list of pros and cons to each solution as I see them.

In the end I would really much rather see the BB browser issues addressed then use Opera Mini, but for now I will continue to use Opera for checking secure pages and for doing lengthy forum posts...everything else is done via the BB browser.
    Kudos for the excellent post!
    I am in total agreement with you.
    For me it's about _how_ I use my BlackBerry. Between 25 & 50% of the time I spend is on PinStack. Therefore when I migrated from a Curve 8310 to my Bold, I lost the ability to enjoy how well Hayden has PinStack optimized for the BlackBerry. While I can still access PinStack, it's become tedious, slow, and very frustrating. A perfect example is my commute to work in which I average 60mph. If suddenly that was reduced to 15mph, well you can imagine the frustration. This is exactly what has happened in "upgrading to RIM's flagship". Suddenly my entire daily BlackBerry experience has been dashed. And yet knowing that "this is the way it is" and there is nothing I can do about it, I have moved it out of the category "problem" to "ugly fact of life". Of course I do have the option of going backwards to my 8310, but that would involve giving up the positive benefits of the Bold as it applies to the other ways I use my BlackBerry. One other option I have recently chosen is the use of Opera Mini. While this greatly improves the PinStack experience, since I cannot make it my default browser when I click on a link within my email alerts for new posts it opens the BB Browser which is useless. Since the majority of my PinStack time is helping others by responding to them, this shortcoming is a problem, that I've got to live with.
    Perhaps if enough is made of this RIM will respond. After all Apple "gets it" and provides a great browsing experience. RIM is capable, but will they? Or will we act like the Apple Zealots & accept whatever RIM builds, live in denial, and fail to push back & demand better?
    ~Via BlackBerry Bold & Opera Mini~

qblackman no está en línea Stack level 1
    The word wrap issue drives me crazy on the BB browser. I wish there was a fix.

fondoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A26BE1
    Quote Originally Posted by qblackman View Post
    The word wrap issue drives me crazy on the BB browser. I wish there was a fix.
    who do i call to complaint?
    Upgraded the BlackBerry Curve to BlackBerry Bold 12/1/08.

qblackman no está en línea Stack level 1
    lol good question. I was hoping someone would come in this thread and say 'all you have to do is xyz......to fix it.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    If only it were that easy.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Sorry for the double post guys, but I just wanted to say that with the new look of the forums I find the readability of things VERY much improved. The text wrap and small font issues are still present, but the redesigned layout/formatting of the forums does actually help quite a bit.

Kudos Pinstack, very well done.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I've gotta stop posting quick replies so I can edit my posts, but one HUGE benefit to the new forum design is that using column view you can now zoom in and everything is still centered onscreen and perfecrtly readable...no more zooming in and out while browsing the stacks.

I'm completely in love with the new forum design, its enough to almost completely remedy the small font issue, all that's left is the word wrap issue and we're home free while browsing Pinstack at least!!!

I'm very pleased (read thrilled) with the changes, as now I can use BB Browser instead of Opera Mini. Since I like to click on the link on the email alerts to respond to posts in PinStack, this makes a huge difference. That was the biggest drawback when using Opera, as it could not be made the default browser, thus there was no way to use the alerts in the way I'm accustomed to.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I'm very pleased (read thrilled) with the changes, as now I can use BB Browser instead of Opera Mini. Since I like to click on the link on the email alerts to respond to posts in PinStack, this makes a huge difference. That was the biggest drawback when using Opera, as it could not be made the default browser, thus there was no way to use the alerts in the way I'm accustomed to.
    I love it as well, the ONLY thing left to do is get the text wrap issue resolved.

Pinstack is the only site/forum I visit from my Bold where I actually type/post anything so I'm more then happy with the changes. The only reason I have for using Opera Mini is to check my online banking, as the BB browser is still fairly slow when it comes to secure connections.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post

You're not alone. I also like to reply to thread alerts by clicking on links directly from the emails also.

Quote Originally Posted by cornelious0_0 View Post
    I love it as well, the ONLY thing left to do is get the text wrap issue resolved.
    Yes agreed and I've already posted on this, so hayden is aware. Thus I feel good about it being taken care of as his time permits. This is one really nice change to the site.

I also like how it's no longer dedicated to BB's only. The evolution has been gradual over this past year and is now complete. Now I can talk about any of my phones I wish to discuss and it makes PinStack THE destination for all smartphone owners.

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Its very comforting to see that our browser related issues can be remedied and/or fixed outside of RIM. I have never had anything but good things to say about Pinstack and its staff and with the new design and subforums for other smartphones you're right...there's no reason to go anywhere else.

Yes, I must say that since I joined PinStack in 2006 the improvements to the site have been frequent, extremely well thought out, and always contemporary. It's very refreshing to participate on a site that is not stale, but always fresh and evolving. Never a dull moment and always something great to look forward to.

Nice work Hayden!

Cheers...

PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I can at least confirm that the text wrap issue is present in other forums as well. A couple other forums I frequent are based on/written with vbulletin and the issue remains.

If Pinstack can fix or remedy the text wrap issue be redoing an aspect of their site then they will have forever gained my undying support...not that they haven't already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast