Hi Guys, I am struggling with a problem on my blackberry. It all started when ... BlackBerry Bold forum

dkanderson no está en línea Stack level 1

BB Bold 9000 not connecting to DM cause maybe nullPointerException error

Advertisement

Hi Guys,

I am struggling with a problem on my blackberry. It all started when I started receiving an annoying error that read: uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointerexception now this happened every time I tried to open my messages weather email, text messages or blackberry messenger. Also the email icon disappeared and I stop receiving emails.

I did some research online found out how to check the phone logs (hold down alt and type lglg). The logs showed that the error was being triggered by "net_rim_bb_messaging".

So armed with that data I set out for a cure for my dilemma. Conventional wisdom on this is to backup the device on desktop manager then do fresh install of the device operating system. There in lies the "rub". I cannot seem to connect to desktop manager and I believe the reason is the very same error that lead me to that extreme in the first place.

I have tried:

To do a hard reset while the usb cable was connected to the computer (point to note I am using a macbookpro osx 10.6.6) the device connected briefly gave me the option to update the device software but after a few seconds a message pops up that says no software found for my device.

I have tried many variations of this approach in an attempt to backup my phone data, I have resorted to begin manually recording my contacts to the address book on the mac.

Believe me I have read, I have tinkered, I have cursed the gods and now I am humbly at the doorsteps of Pinstack saying please help me to love my blackberry again. What should I do?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    For a quick fix to backup your phone numbers and calender items, use google sync. As for your bigger issue, I am not sure if jl_cmd or the other apps will work on a mac to help you.

Zo

Thanks Zo,

Google sync is a great tip, I just downloaded it and it is syncing right now. I have another question. I know there is a way to do a security wipe that wipes all data from the phone, does that wipe your blackberry messenger contacts as well?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yes, the security wipe will remove ALL data from your phone, including messenger contacts, however, if you do a backup prior to wiping the device, you can selectively restore the messenger contacts, or any other database you wish to restore, for that matter.

There is also a method within BB Messenger to back up your contacts remotely. Go into the messenger application, press the BB menu button, then select Options and you should see the back up options in there, I believe.

OK great thanks Roger, you are absolutely right I managed to back up locally and remotely then i copied the backup file to my computer. With contacts and calendar backed up on google sync and bbm contacts backed up in two places I feel confident enough to do a wipe and see what happens. Fingers crossed I am going in.

IT WORKED!!! HAHAHAHAHA I love you guys and my blackberry now that its working as it should. I did a security wipe and after the wipe it connected to desktop manager just fine, then I restored my bbm contacts from the backup I just did, that ran smoothly.

Next step was to fire up google sync and get all my contacts and calendar items back in and just like that I am back.

First thing I did after restoring all my data was to do a full backup on desktop manager.

Truly thank you Zo and Roger for the assist I truly appreciate it!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    That is what we are all here for. Glad to see you got it back up.

Zo

Good deal! Glad you're back in action.

olivier1208 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi i m from france
    I exactly have the same problem than you.

I m ready to try your tip but i have a question for you dkanderson.

Did you lose all your texts messages (SMS MMS) ??
    Because i have 12000 SMS and i really don t want to lose them
    But i can t backup them because my phone can t connect to DM, just like you.

If someone can help me... this problem is since 1 months and i can t stand keeping it

I m on a CURVE 8900 (javelin)

Thanxxxxxx

Welcome, olivier! We'll do what we can to help you save your 12,000 (holy cow!!) text messages, but there's a good possibility you'll lose them.

Is your phone working at all? You might be able to back up your text messages using something like this or this.

Firstly, thank you for trying to helping me.
    The first program Dexrex, that i downloaded on my BB, gives me an error :" Error starting DexrexBlackberryExtensions: Class 'net.rim.blackberry.api.homescreen.HomeScreen' not found.

As far as the second program ( AbcBerry ), i need to firstly backup my device, but my phone doesn t want to connect to the DM, i tried mostly all of the versions ( 4.7 - 4.2 - 4.3 - 5.0 - 6.0 ....), but my phone is recognized by the DM but i have the error message " Intellisync Failed to connect to Device. Please make sure that the device is properly connected and try again".
    Then i click OK
    And when i Try to backup i have this error " There was a communication error between the device and the Desktop Manager".

I really need all your help guys and i really want to save my Text Messages.

Thank youuu

Just to sum up all my errors and problems :

- When the phone turns on => Error "uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointerexception"
    - No more Email Icons
    - When i try to enter my SMS/MMS, it doesn't works directly but after a while i get the error "
    net_rim_bb_messaging process terminated ", and then i press ok and finally can access my inbox SMS
    - Can't enter the setup of my email ( In the folder SMS->Options->Messages Setup->Blackberry Menu ) it freezes! when i click the BB button
    - I have the red star that appears when i have a new mail but there's nothing in the messages folder.
    - Can't connect to any DM, but my phone is recognized by the DM (pin)
    - Unable to backup anything.

Thank you

Sorry for my bad translations in english but my BB is in french.

Thank to all of you