Got a weird issue. I have a fleet of 9700 Bolds that are running Actsoft ... BlackBerry Bold forum

eclauss no está en línea Stack level 1

Question BB 9700 Bold - GPS chipset stalls

Advertisement

Got a weird issue. I have a fleet of 9700 Bolds that are running Actsoft Comet Tracker. The software pings my devices for location every 60 seconds. Now these devices are in the hnads of service techs who are in and out of buildings and their cars all day long, so it's common to have no replies to pings for priods of time. Now here is the issue...sometimes the GPS never re-initializes and continues the no-reply to pings even in open sky. The only way to get it back is to pull the battery,m or in extreme circumstances, delete and re-install Comet Tracker.

Anybody have any ideas on the fix? Thanks in advance.

Ed

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Go to Options, Advanced Options, GPS and Hit Menu and there is a option to refresh GPS. That is the only way I know how to get the GPS to restart its self. I know it doesn't solve any of your problems but its just something to look at.

It might help to turn down the exact location precision if the program allows it and maybe set the ping time to 5 minutes so your not always flooding the GPS with traffic. Also in the options on your device there are setting that allow the device to use cellular location data to track position make sure those are enabled also.
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

Arrow Worth a try

Thanks for the advice Jeff. I will try backing off the ping timing to 5 minutes and see how the phones react. And yes, we are receiving the cellular data as well. Our main concern is that we ultimately want to use Comet Tracker to aid in payroll for time and mileage, so the GPS functionality is paramount. This will save our branch managers tons of time.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    The only thing you can do is try and see how it reacts to the ping requests. Also you might and to update the OS on one of the devices and see if that helps. I'm curious about this one so keep us updated

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

Arrow

Some of my guys have done the latest firmware update and that doesn't appear to have any bearing on the issue. I am going to change the frequency of the ping rate on 2 or 3 and see what happens there. Don't worry, I will keep you in the loop.

moembamba no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Go to options , advanced options /tcp.ip/ find out what your phone company settings are and enter . Restart your phones and gps should pick up

londonmandan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by moembamba View Post
    Go to options , advanced options /tcp.ip/ find out what your phone company settings are and enter . Restart your phones and gps should pick up
    Really?? Are you sure???

I thought the TCP/IP settings were for access to the interwebz?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check on the TCP/IP set up as well.

Jeff: The 5 minute ping appears to help the issue slightly. The returns seem to be more robust, however, I have one right now that hasn't returned a GPS ping since July 19 at 9:30 EST.
    Last edited by eclauss; 07-28-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Here is an update from Actsoft on the issue:

"Actsoft has determined that this is occurring with the 9700 on both the .586 and .714 code, with and without Comet Tracker installed.
    This affected GPS for Maps, Navigator, and ours but was fixed when doing a battery pull. We have escalated to RIM but we have not gotten a resolution yet."

I guess now I wait!

They are aware that a battery pull is only a temporary fix.

PIN/ID
    Huh?
    a battery pull has been a temporary fix as far back as I can remember lol What about rolling back to a older OS and see how it handles

Truth + Clarity = Power

moembamba no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by londonmandan View Post
    Really?? Are you sure???

I thought the TCP/IP settings were for access to the interwebz?
    It worked for me , I had gps issues , running rogers GSM 3G and it worked after entering the APN settings

bangus236 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by moembamba View Post
    It worked for me , I had gps issues , running rogers GSM 3G and it worked after entering the APN settings
    probably because of A-GPS which uses the network's cell towers as reference instead of the GPS satellites. this involves data transmission

Hi Fellas... Just wanted to give you the latest update. The issue seems to definitely be a hardware issue with the 9700. RIM was good enough to loan us two of the as-yet-unreleased 3G Curves to try on our system, while we sent two of our problem units to Actsoft for testing/eval. Actsoft confirmed the issue, and had almost daily contact with RIM for a couple weeks, then all went quiet. The loaner units from RIM continue to work flawlessly with CometTracker. We have decided to pressure our carrier to replace our units with ones that work. Now we will see what happens and how fast!

Guys, I really appreciate all your input, and it may take awhile, but I will let you know the outcome.

Cheers!
    Ed
    Last edited by eclauss; 12-02-2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by eclauss View Post
    Hi Fellas... Just wanted to give you the latest update. The issue seems to definitely be a hardware issue with the 9700. RIM was good enough to loan us two of the as-yet-unreleased 3G Curves to try on our system, while we sent two of our problem units to Actsoft for testing/eval. Actsoft confirmed the issue, and had almost daily contact with RIM for a couple weeks, then all went quiet. The loaner units from RIM continue to work flawlessly with CometTracker. We have decided to pressure our carrier to replace our units with ones that work. Now we will see what happens and how fast!

Guys, I really appreciate all your input, and it may take awhile, but I will let you know the outcome.

Cheers!
    Ed
    Good to know that the problem is being solved! Thanks for the update