Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

sorry...was travelling home from work. Ok...so you can connect to your network, but are just ... BlackBerry Bold forum

waddeng no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

sorry...was travelling home from work.

Ok...so you can connect to your network, but are just not connecting to the Blacberry Infrastructure (becasue now that I am home I can see that I have checkmarks where you have a red x). Are you on BIS or BES? If you are on BIS, have you logged on to your account and as Ranx has suggested resent your service books?

I'll look around for some more clues.

Try this:

Check your HRT (host routing table) entries. Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table.
    You should have an entry there for Wifi. (if you don't, then the device doesn't know how to get to BB over wifi). Hit the menu and do a register now and hopefully you get the wifi HRT entry.

Also, check that your router allows port 443 outbound (check your firewall or gaming options on the router).

Oh...just found something else that might be helpful...In your WI-FI diagnostics, go to options (using menu key) and change it from basic to advanced. What does it say under WI-FI & Blackberry Infrastructure with that option?

janie215 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Hi Waddeng, thanks for all this help, really appreciate it.

Ok, have checked host routing table, wi-fi was already there but I sent it again anyway, received message saying blackberry was registered.

Have changed from basic to advanced but on checking diagnostics still have exactly the same as before.

I'm thinking that this shouldn't be this difficult.

Just to be sure....you are able to connect to the internet with a PC through your wireless network....right?

Try this. Open your browser, hit the menu key, go to browser configuration & change browser to "hotspot browser". Go back one screen and under General Properties change the default browser to "hotspot browser" and save your changes.

Close the browser and restart. See if that does anything.
    Last edited by waddeng; 10-03-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Oh...just found this on the net:

"It is the router's firmware that is flakey. On Belkin's support pages they have a 'beta' pre-release version of their firmware for this router. Once installed the Bold works just fine."

Can you see if there is an update to your routers firmware on their site? If I remeber you router is a Belkin too.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Hi Waddeng, will try these things. At the moment I have messed up my router by changing the security settings (as I wondered if this would make adifference) and now I can't log in at all as I don't have a wep key.

In answer to your question, yes I can usually log on to my laptop.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Ok, Im back on line now, having changed back to my old BT Homehub router. Ive done what you suggested with regards to the wi-fi hotspot settings and guess what........it seems to work!!!! I have no idea why this should be, as its not exactly a 'common sense' approach but hey who cares, I can get on the net.

Cant use it on mini-opera though?? only BB browser.

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hmm. I might have to install Opera mini to see if will use wifi (it could very well be that Opera isn't wifi-aware - meaning it will always use the cellular connection).
    Just to confirm the UMA question for you - the Bold does not support UMA (which is encapsulation of your cellular voice channel over wifi). And yes (for those sticklers out there) - you can also encapsulate data over UMA (but, I don't believe any of the carriers are doing that).

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Thanks Ridicule

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ok, they didn't have one for the Bold, so I installed the one for the 8820. There's actually an option under settings to enable wifi (there's a checkbox).

Here's the downside - it isn't intelligent enough to toggle between (you have to select wifi every time you want to use wifi rather than cellular)
    Last edited by Ridicule; 10-05-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janie215 View Post
    Ok, Im back on line now, having changed back to my old BT Homehub router. Ive done what you suggested with regards to the wi-fi hotspot settings and guess what........it seems to work!!!! I have no idea why this should be, as its not exactly a 'common sense' approach but hey who cares, I can get on the net.

Cant use it on mini-opera though?? only BB browser.
    Well...at least something worked!!! If you switch your browser config back to either blackberry browser or Internet browser, do you loose your connection again?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I think waddeng deserves a lot of credit for this thread. GREAT JOB man!

Thanks Ranx (hey that ryhmes)!

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast