Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok, i know this is probably a really basic question but do I need to ... BlackBerry Bold forum

janie215 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256A910E

Basic Stuff - Help!

Advertisement

Ok, i know this is probably a really basic question but do I need to have my GPRS mobile connection turned off in order to use Wi-FI, I realise that there is an option to turn data off when using wi-fi but I can never connect to wi-fi.

Ive tried turning off my GPRS and only having wi-fi selected but every time I try to connect to the internet (via opera mini OR BB) I get a message saying 'the radio on the device is currently turned off or the battery is too low etc etc'

My device recognises the wi-fi I have at home (Belkin router) and always displays the name but I have never got the UMA which I seem to need to be able to connect to the web.

Can someone tell me the basic settings I need to have??

puppylove no está en línea Stack level 2
    janie,
    In "manage connections" you should have checked "wi-fi" to turn it on. Then scroll down to and select "wi-fi options," - if you have a connection it should show the name of it in there and "wi-fi selection mode" should be set to "automatic." (If you've ever scanned and saved any othe wi-fi spots they will be displayed below.

Under "options">"mobile network" you should have "connection preference" set to "wi-fi preferred" and "network selection mode" set to "automatic."

Does that help?
    What goes around, comes around.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Hi Puppylove - sorry!! my device is a Bold now, havent changed it in my profile yet. I can get so far but i dont have "connection preference" I only have "data services" which Ive got checked "off when roaming"

The router is listed in my network connections and named as Belkin (home) however there is a minus sign after it, meaning I assume that I cant connect.

Sorry to mislead you, i will now go and change my device details in my profile.

thanks

puppylove no está en línea Stack level 2
    OK. MY help may not be that good then - the Bold is different, I'm sure, and OS 4.6 is too. I'll help if I can but my info is probably going to be mostly "old" for the Bold. (It rhymes - ) I should have noticed which forum you're in - someone will come along with some help.
    What goes around, comes around.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Thanks Puppylove, Lets hope someone can help me, this is so frustrating as waited so long for the bold and now all I want to do is go back to my 8820 - determined to crack it though. thanks again

waddeng no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hi,

You do not need to have your mobile connection turned off to connect to your WIFI. I have both my Mobile Network & WIFI on. When I get a WIFI signal, it connects and when not it connects through the regular mobile signal.

You mentioned UMA, but my service does not provide UMA yet .

You state that your Bold recognizes your network (Belkin), but did you set up your WIFI settings correctly? Does your home network use a WEP key? Do you use DHCP or a static IP? You need to set up your WIFI network settings the same as you would if you are connecting a computer to your network.

Hope this helps.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Thanks Waddeng - I think Ive set up my settings correctly, my home network doesnt use a WEP key, its open at the moment. I 'think' its a static IP, as its always the same number.

So under your "Manage Connections", what does it say for WIFI under Services Status?

In case you need it, here is an overview of WIFI setup: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=46235

Just realized I didn't help you further last week! Sorry! I'll try to get you up and running now.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Hi Waddeng, thats ok, think Im also a bit slow on the uptake.

Ok, under wi-fi active profile it says the following:
    active profile (home) Belkin_N
    SSID: Belkin_N
    Type: 802.11 b/g

Ok...in your "Manage Connections", under WIFI Options, click your menu key (left of trackball), select WI-FI Tools & WI-FI Diagnostics (unfortunately I'm not connected to a network right now, but let see if that gives any info that is useful).

You can also try a ping from your WI-FI tools to see what that gives as well.

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    Ok, this is what it says:-

current profile: Belkin_N (home)
    SSID: Belkin_N
    AP MAC Address: 00:1CF:77:1D:43
    Security Type: Open
    Local I.P. Address: 192.168.2.2
    Signal Level: -77dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 48 Mbps

hmm...looks good so far. Does it say anything under Blackberry Infrastructure (from your diagnostics)?

Have you tried a ping? Because you are connected you should be able to ping your router with no problem, but how about an outside website?

PIN/ID
    256A910E
    hi, Under Blackberry Infrastructure its as follows:-

Connecting - shows black dot with red cross over it.
    Authenticating router - black dot
    Authenticating Server - black dot.

With regards to a ping, Im not entirely sure what this is but Ive done it anyway, in fact Id tried this several times before to no avail.

The results are as follows:

Pings sent - 4, pings received - 4 min time: 68, max time 230, average 137

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    all you need to do is have your radio ON and your wifi ON.
    The UMA is not needed as it is only used for Wifi calling and only the 8120 and the 8320 support it (8220 will).
    Then resend your service books just to be safe and you should be fine !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast