Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by dgburns Gotta love when people take the special carrier price deal, then ... BlackBerry Bold forum

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by dgburns View Post
    Gotta love when people take the special carrier price deal, then decide a few months later they want out and want US to tell them how to get out of their obligation. Why should we be doing that???

You and your Bold buddy should have to pay each the ETF, and then you can swap around devices to your heart's content.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    IMO, A device takes next to nothing to make and you are getting NO deal from the carrier. You pay for your device and should be able to do with it as you see fit. I know that it takes money to develop them and so on but the ETF is a total and complete rip-off. I could understand 6 months or something but 2 years is a joke.

If your needs change or you want to go a different route or with a BETTER carrier then you should have that right. We are nickel and dimed and forced to have junk on our devices that we don't need or want to pacify the carriers so we should also have a way out without getting slammed. Maybe I would even understand an ETF that adjusts the longer you have the device but the way it is set up now it's a scam.

pegb856 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A Colata
    It is amazing to see how some people respond like "Rabid Dogs" when someone asks such a simple question. <shaking head>
    As Always...

Happy Berrying!!

arashb no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by els718 View Post
    cant i just change my phone and data plan through my online account...i mean i know i can but, att will charge me bcuz of this i dont get it.
    Well when I went in AT&T they had to scan a barcode on my Bold for some reason. If you can do it online do it, just don't call them and ask them to do it because those guys are never helpful.

There are reports online about an ETF on the iPhone but that's just simply not true. I talked to this guy at a local AT&T and he got me this paper that said somethng like if you cannot cancel the data plan and use the phone on AT&T, if they find out you're doing it they will begin to start charging you for a data plan. So as long as you're not using the iPhone anymore you can cancel that plan.

The iPhone plan is a very weird plan. I got a w580i from AT&T and renewed my contract to a 2 year contract, 1 months later the iPhone came out. I sold the w580i to someone on craigslist for $160 and went and picked up a first gen iPhone + 2 year renewal. Then a year later I get rid of the iPhone and get an iPhone 3G + 2 year renewal. So somehow the iPhone renewals excuse you from your current contract because I pretty much am doing a 3 year contract for something that should have been 6 years. And if this is what will happen when the new iPhone in June I will be doing a 4 year contract for what will have to be an 8 year contract.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    A new 2 year contract ALWAYS over writes your current plan. This is the way it has always been. Make a change to your account in any way and AT&T will redo your 2 year contract. You can even change your plan without doing this.
    Last edited by GregGebhardt; 03-17-2009 at 07:01 AM.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by dgburns View Post
    Gotta love when people take the special carrier price deal, then decide a few months later they want out and want US to tell them how to get out of their obligation. Why should we be doing that???

You and your Bold buddy should have to pay each the ETF, and then you can swap around devices to your heart's content.
    I disagree. Your comment comes off as a disgenuine employee. I don't think att gives 2 sh*ts about what phone the OP has as long as he keeps his $30 service plan; they are still netting the same profits and both client and servicer are getting what they want. Its a double win!

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    getting a little heated up in here...
    i see RED...

Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    A new 2 year contract ALWAYS over wrotes your current plan. This is the way it has always been. Make a change to your account in any way and AT&T will redo your 2 year contract. You can even change your plan without doing this.
    Not true. I changed the iPhone plan to BB Data plan and I'm still continuing to the date from the iPhone plan.

els718 no está en línea Stack level 2
    i went to the att store today and asked one of the reps, they told me i can just go to my online account, switch my phone type and data plan, no big deal.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Ok its as simple as this... (Used to manage cellular franchises a year back, so this is reasonably recent info)...

1. Contracts are mostly 2 years
    2. If you upgrade near the end of your contract, you get more of a discount with a 2 year renewal...
    3. Whenever you upgrade, you get a renewal of contract (be it 6 months into your original)...
    4. The basis of your contract is your minute plan... A data plan / sms package / mms package / telenav, any gps etc are all addons... And don't affect your contract's duration of you change them around...
    5. Some carriers have certain restrictions... Att will be ok if you switch between one data plan to another... Ie from iphone data to bb data
    6. Some carriers won't let you get a bb without data... Ie verizon
    7. Some carriers will let you do anything
    8. All carriers will charge you an ETF if you cancel your plan...
    9. Carriers subsidize device prices on the basis of a contract (that's how they make their money back)... That's why people that are only 6 months into a 2 year contract may not get as good a deal as those that are 20 months in...
    10. There is a huge difference between a corporate run store and a franchize...
    11. Sometimes franchises can offer you a better deal on devices than corporate stores... And sometimes they have a better variety...
    12. Most reps (corporate store, franchise or customer service), will not have the detailed answers you're looking for... They only know specs n basic facts...
    13. Always come to pinstack for advice before you call your carrier...

Hope that makes sense...

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Wow, thanks red.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Wow, thanks red.
    Was that rhetorical?

Lol. Just got out early from work. Lemme try again.
    Wow! Thanks red.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Lol... That was a joke cooley...

God retyping again. Stupid back button. Sorry, exhausted from work. Thank God my week is done.
    Is the iPhone subsidized now? I remember it wasn't when I bought @ launch, at&t didn't penalize plan change partially because of that. I only had pearl for 2 months @ that time.

Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    Ok its as simple as this... (Used to manage cellular franchises a year back, so this is reasonably recent info)...

1. Contracts are mostly 2 years
    2. If you upgrade near the end of your contract, you get more of a discount with a 2 year renewal...
    3. Whenever you upgrade, you get a renewal of contract (be it 6 months into your original)...
    4. The basis of your contract is your minute plan... A data plan / sms package / mms package / telenav, any gps etc are all addons... And don't affect your contract's duration of you change them around...
    5. Some carriers have certain restrictions... Att will be ok if you switch between one data plan to another... Ie from iphone data to bb data
    6. Some carriers won't let you get a bb without data... Ie verizon
    7. Some carriers will let you do anything
    8. All carriers will charge you an ETF if you cancel your plan...
    9. Carriers subsidize device prices on the basis of a contract (that's how they make their money back)... That's why people that are only 6 months into a 2 year contract may not get as good a deal as those that are 20 months in...
    10. There is a huge difference between a corporate run store and a franchize...
    11. Sometimes franchises can offer you a better deal on devices than corporate stores... And sometimes they have a better variety...
    12. Most reps (corporate store, franchise or customer service), will not have the detailed answers you're looking for... They only know specs n basic facts...
    13. Always come to pinstack for advice before you call your carrier...

Hope that makes sense...
    I thought number 8 was true to when I had the iPhone and that's why I kept it for as long as I did. I talked to an AT&T store that wasn't owned by AT&T but was sponsored by them and the manager told me that if I chose to cancel my iPhone data plan I can without paying anything. I tried telling him about the ETFs online and he said something about the iPhone plan. He was about to do it for me right then but I told him not to because I wasn't sure if I wanted to get rid of the iPhone just then. Everytime I go to an AT&T owned store I get BS from everyone, whenever I see an AT&T sponsored store I know they aren't trying to rip me off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast