I set my backlight level to 10 (lowest) and set auto-dim to off to conserve ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ixtab no está en línea Stack level 3

auto-dim off but bold is still changing the backlight level?

Advertisement

I set my backlight level to 10 (lowest) and set auto-dim to off to conserve battery (using .190 and still dead every night around 11pm).
    But whenever I enter a bright room or step outside to a sunny area my bold still decides it is time to brighten the screen and goes up to (I estimate 60 or more automatically).
    So it is either a 'bug' or disabling auto-dim simply does what it says (auto-dim is disabled but 'auto-brighten' is still on).

Anyone seeing the same thing?
    Any idea if/how I can force a constant level 10 brightness?

On the same note, is there any way to stop the keyboard light from working completely?

Hack/app/setting that can make it this happen?

Thanks,
    Ix

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Exactly, auto dim is off, but it will always automatically get brighter when exposed to bright light. No way I know of to change that other than covering the light sensor which on the curve is where the LED is...not sure if it's the same on the Bold
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Thanks azstar, how did I miss that idea. A black sharpie dot over the led area might do it. Will give it a try.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Azstar, do you know what determines when the keyboard lights will be on/off?
    I suspect it always lights up when in a dim room (so covering the led are might cause the keyboard lights to remain always on?)

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
    Thanks azstar, how did I miss that idea. A black sharpie dot over the led area might do it. Will give it a try.

try some less permanant to see if that will even work, like a dry erase marker......you never know if youll need to warrenty your phone and they void it over something stupid like that $$$$

is battery life THAT bad?

I have a BSE over the entire screen, so I will sharpie the screen protector and not the bold itself.
    Just need to figure out the keyboard lights on/off algorithm first.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Yes, same light sensor, so maybe it would be a matter of trial and error to see which seems to use more battery, keyboard or screen. My guess would be screen uses more but I never really tested it. And I agree with glehman85, might not want to sharpee your Bold :s

Trial (&error) started now ;-) thanks for all the good ideas.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    I have a BSE over the entire screen, so I will sharpie the screen protector and not the bold itself.
    Just need to figure out the keyboard lights on/off algorithm first.

good thinkin

a small peice of black electrical tape may work better. i suspect light will still come through the sharpie allowing it to still brighten up, although not as much.

Glehman85, battery on my (.190) bold is pretty bad, I am a heavy data user, from fully charged at 6am it sometimes dies (0%) around 11pm (same day!)
    Ordered a BC 1700mA battery today as I can't stand this anymore.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Glehman85, battery on my (.190) bold is pretty bad, I am a heavy data user, from fully charged at 6am it sometimes dies (0%) around 11pm (same day!)
    Ordered a BC 1700mA battery today as I can't stand this anymore.

I'm in the same boat, but not quite that extreme in terms of battery loss. I'm really considering an extended life (factory sized) battery as well to give my baby that extra "oomph".

Looks like I checked in on this topic a little to late, all good ideas about the light sensor though. I don't know about some of you but I love the keyboard backlight, helps keep me going late at night.

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by glehman85 View Post
    try some less permanant to see if that will even work, like a dry erase marker......you never know if youll need to warrenty your phone and they void it over something stupid like that $$$$

is battery life THAT bad?
    I, too, think you should try something less permanent. How about some black sports tape or electrical tape?

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I'm actually a little curious to see how this turns out, it would be kinda nice to stop my Bold from amp'ing up the brightness when personally, I have no issues it set to 50% outdoors.

I did the sharpie thing and I can actually see that the screen stays at 10 as I wanted it to even in bright places,BUT...
    The keyboard lights are always-on now and I don't see real improvement battery wise.

So I'm not sure there's huge benefit so far. :-(

Will just hang in there until the 1700mA shows up.