Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by archer6 . AT&T has an exclusive on the Bold. No other carrier ... BlackBerry Bold forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    AT&T has an exclusive on the Bold. No other carrier will get the Bold until the exclusive expires. When the Pearl first came out T-Mobile had the exclusive which allowed them to be the only carrier to sell it until their exclusive expired.
    exactly that and the 3G band that bigsho mentionned (1700).
    The Bold was made World 3G ready as it has all the major bands (850,1900,2100) but yeah Tmo uses the 1700 band and that is why they are not getting the Bold.
    As bigsho mentionned it would be a whole other device that they would have to build.
    And that's also why they ARE getting the Javelin (quadband edge) as that one works with any GSM carrier around the world in one single same device.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    The Bold was made World 3G ready as it has all the major bands (850,1900,2100) but yeah Tmo uses the 1700 band and that is why they are not getting the Bold
    Yes exactly, I overlooked that fact which is unique to 3G. I need to get out of the QuadBand mentality now that RIM finally has a 3G device. Just think of how great it would be if all the GSM carriers operated on the same frequencies. Then we could all have the phones we want...

SWord6736 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304049db
    According to some documents that I dug up at work the Bold we be in stores at Bestbuy on Oct.26 the same day Bestbuy releases the G1. Which is great unless they postpone it again. But I will say that our release dates are usually accurate.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Are you going by your own information or the post on BGR? I noticed it said "deleted" on BGR's post. Does that mean a new release date is pending? How long ago did you find out this information?
    Last edited by Skier87; 10-13-2008 at 02:50 AM.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Yes exactly, I overlooked that fact which is unique to 3G. I need to get out of the QuadBand mentality now that RIM finally has a 3G device. Just think of how great it would be if all the GSM carriers operated on the same frequencies. Then we could all have the phones we want...
    That would indeed be awesome but its not just about money and politics this time.
    The North American 3G is actually better than the European/Rest of the World 3G as far as Distance Covered wise (the lower the frequency the longer the distance the tower can cover. NAM 3G is 850/1900 EURO 3G is 1800/2100.
    The reason why NAM NEEDS the lower frequencies is because there's a lot of empty spaces in both the US and Canada as opposed to the Euro Union where they are definitely more advanced in the Cellular technologies and only need the higher frequencies as there's not as much inhabited space.

Good enough for you dear archer ? lol

The North American 3G is actually better than the European/Rest of the World 3G as far as Distance Covered wise (the lower the frequency the longer the distance the tower can cover. NAM 3G is 850/1900 EURO 3G is 1800/2100.
    The reason why NAM NEEDS the lower frequencies is because there's a lot of empty spaces in both the US and Canada as opposed to the Euro Union where they are definitely more advanced in the Cellular technologies and only need the higher frequencies as there's not as much inhabited space.
    Brilliant report! Now that you lay it out this way, it makes perfect sense. My formal education & experience background in electrical engineering & computer science verifies the accuracy of the info you have shared. Something that I overlooked and a crucial component in explaining why we are dealing with these circumstances which influence the phones we can use on our individual carrier of choice.

In a perfect world (for users) we would have a more standardized system which would then allow us far more choices in handsets.
    Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Brilliant report! Now that you lay it out this way, it makes perfect sense. My formal education & experience background in electrical engineering & computer science verifies the accuracy of the info you have shared. Something that I overlooked and a crucial component in explaining why we are dealing with these circumstances which influence the phones we can use on our individual carrier of choice.

In a perfect world (for users) we would have a more standardized system which would then allow us far more choices in handsets.
    Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry
    well now that most phones are quandband we kinda do. Phone manufacturers now need to quadband the 3G as well and then Utopia!
    But yeah THATS when the money and politics come in .
    Anyways back on topic, ATT is still testing the Bold and youre still waiting for it ... want my Bold for your E71 ? so i can buy the Javelin and the Kickstart with peace of mind lol :P

well now that most phones are quandband we kinda do. Phone manufacturers now need to quadband the 3G as well and then Utopia!
    But yeah THATS when the money and politics come in .
    Anyways back on topic, ATT is still testing the Bold and youre still waiting for it ... want my Bold for your E71 ? so i can buy the Javelin and the Kickstart with peace of mind lol :P
    Hmmm a distinct possibility.
    Let's go to PM on this. I'm at an off site meeting today so tomorrow is better. [Sitting in the back of the roon enjoying the Stacks on my BB while "paying attention".]
    Cheers

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    You fellows forgot the 900 Euro band (850/900/1800/1900/2100). Yes, the lower frequencies are idea in rural areas (so you can have greater distance between base stations).
    Regarding the Utopia comment - 2100 is becoming the standard frequency around the world for HSDPA/HSPA - most geographies are implementing this frequency as well as others. This is good news, because if you look at the worldwide footprint, there's about a dozen different frequencies proposed for 3G UMTS variants. It would be a massive amount of work for the phone manufacturers to have to support all of these frequencies in a single handset.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    You fellows forgot the 900 Euro band (850/900/1800/1900/2100). Yes, the lower frequencies are idea in rural areas (so you can have greater distance between base stations).
    Regarding the Utopia comment - 2100 is becoming the standard frequency around the world for HSDPA/HSPA - most geographies are implementing this frequency as well as others. This is good news, because if you look at the worldwide footprint, there's about a dozen different frequencies proposed for 3G UMTS variants. It would be a massive amount of work for the phone manufacturers to have to support all of these frequencies in a single handset.
    thats exactly what i meant hence the use of the word Utopia. Because as much as 2100 is becoming the world standard it's not there yet and dont take me wrong i cant wait for it to be.
    and yes i did forget the 900 my bad which i used to use in France.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Hmmm a distinct possibility.
    Let's go to PM on this. I'm at an off site meeting today so tomorrow is better. [Sitting in the back of the roon enjoying the Stacks on my BB while "paying attention".]
    Cheers
    haaa you remind me of me lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12