I'm having a rollercoaster of problems with the BB Bold from AT&T... First one I ... BlackBerry Bold forum

bcs
    bcs no está en línea Stack level 1

AT&T Bold problems...

Advertisement

I'm having a rollercoaster of problems with the BB Bold from AT&T...

First one I ordered, I sent back because it had dead pixels on the screen all over the place.

Second one (the one sent in exchange) was perfect, worked for a week, then suddenly crashes/shuts down. I try to turn it back on, it turns back on successfully, but then freezes.... doesn't matter - everytime I try to reset it, it will boot up successfully, then it just freezes. Always freezes when the icons appears.

When trying to do a wipe, it works, but when reloading BlackberryOS again through the AppLoader, it always stops around 80% through copying the system files and gives me a fatal error and doesn't continue.

After several attempts to re-install the OS, the Bold decided to stop working. No red LED when plugged into the computer, charger, or battery inserted. It has never been dropped, scratched, bullied, etc.

Because of AT&T's warranty procedure (they place a charge on your card when they send you a replacement), I'm not really interested in returning the Blackberry back to them and get another one in exchange as I'll be charged another $421.99, which they say "will be reversed in 1-2 months." If I do send it back, this would be the third charge and over $1200 on my card just for BlackBerries, so I'm not exactly going to be happy about that.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get this baby working again, or am I SOL?

Thanks in advance...

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Try reloading the OS from a different computer. I am suspicious about the 80%. There is no reason for it to stop there.

Don't do any backups, just reload from a new computer so it is in factory condition. Try the latest Beta firmware instead of the AT&T official one.

bcs
    bcs no está en línea Stack level 1
    That would work if the Bold would have the red LED light up when plugged in the computer...

The problem is that it doesn't light up anymore - Windows XP or Vista doesn't detect the handheld at all. I'm thinking either my BB has memory or power problems.... or both!

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I would not gamble on this. Go back and exchange it for another unit.

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ ATT warrenty puts a charge on your card everytime you need a replacement? Word? Sheesh! Att sure has changed since I was last with them. I didn't know that...that really makes me reconsider jumping back onto the ATT wagon

sanzen71 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by bcs View Post

Because of AT&T's warranty procedure (they place a charge on your card when they send you a replacement), I'm not really interested in returning the Blackberry back to them and get another one in exchange as I'll be charged another $421.99, which they say "will be reversed in 1-2 months." If I do send it back, this would be the third charge and over $1200 on my card just for BlackBerries, so I'm not exactly going to be happy about that.
    We, AT&T, do not charge customers for Warranty Exchanges. The only way we charge customers (per Terms and Conditions) is when AT&T finds physical damage or something not covered under warranty. So this means if you send back a defective unit, AT&T checks the phone for these things. If the phone is simply a defective product, manufactures warranty covers the replacement and we send you another phone. Now if you have some kind of physical damage or something that deems the Warranty voided. AT&T will charge you for the phone they sent you at either full retail or right around that pricepoint.

As far as you getting charged $1200, this is seems a bit weird and Im not sure what details are involved. But I can tell you from personal experience and b/c I am a store manager I have plenty of customers that do Warranty Exchanges and have never been charged on there cards if the phone is just defective and covered under the terms and conditions of warranty.

Can you give me some more details about your situation?

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by sanzen71 View Post
    We, AT&T, do not charge customers for Warranty Exchanges. The only way we charge customers (per Terms and Conditions) is when AT&T finds physical damage or something not covered under warranty. So this means if you send back a defective unit, AT&T checks the phone for these things. If the phone is simply a defective product, manufactures warranty covers the replacement and we send you another phone. Now if you have some kind of physical damage or something that deems the Warranty voided. AT&T will charge you for the phone they sent you at either full retail or right around that pricepoint.

As far as you getting charged $1200, this is seems a bit weird and Im not sure what details are involved. But I can tell you from personal experience and b/c I am a store manager I have plenty of customers that do Warranty Exchanges and have never been charged on there cards if the phone is just defective and covered under the terms and conditions of warranty.

Can you give me some more details about your situation?
    Maybe you don't charge for phone exchange, but the first Bold I had would over heat and turn itself off. I called customer service and they sent me a second one. I haven't received the Return Authorization from AT&T for the first one to return it, what I did get was my monthly bill and guess what? Their are TWO Bolds on my bill. AT&T reply is "when they receive the first one back into inventory they will credit my account" In the mean time I have to pay a $1300.00 phone bill.

The second Bold is just as bad as the first, drops calls overheats, Bold is a piece of junk. All of this is within the 30 days which is up December 7. My two cents.

sanzen71 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDog View Post
    Maybe you don't charge for phone exchange, but the first Bold I had would over heat and turn itself off. I called customer service and they sent me a second one. I haven't received the Return Authorization from AT&T for the first one to return it, what I did get was my monthly bill and guess what? Their are TWO Bolds on my bill. AT&T reply is "when they receive the first one back into inventory they will credit my account" In the mean time I have to pay a $1300.00 phone bill.

The second Bold is just as bad as the first, drops calls overheats, Bold is a piece of junk. All of this is within the 30 days which is up December 7. My two cents.
    Whenever you recieved the replacement, inside the box there is the return label and all instructions to return your defective device. If you missed these papers or maybe threw them away, this seems like the only way you may have been charged is because you did not return the first phone within 14 days of recieving your replacement order.

DO NOT PAY the full $1300. Make arrangement to return to the phone at either a location or thru the mail and wait for them to credit the acct. At the same time make arrangements with cust. serv. to keep an eye out for the phone and not suspend your acct. for non-payment.

Im just trying to figure out why your bill is $1300??? PIN me and I can try and help some more!

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Try this link to help you reinstall the OS when it is dead. It worked for me, follow the instructions to the letter.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...onnected-5178/

bc0001 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I would echo that I have had more problems with the Bold than with any other Blackberry I have owned. I am now on my THIRD replacement from ATT. Signal quality is terrible in secondary markets and on major interstates. I end up taking the sim card out and putting it in my old 8800 and functioning without issue. But the older phone lacks WiFi. Also had a reconcile issue with email, but blackberry folks resolved that one. ATT tech support is seriously deficient - spent an inordinate amount of time telling the same story over and over and getting passed on to the next person. Ultimately the warranty dept wanted to replace the phone with one half the price. So I will probably explore the Tour coming out in July with Verizon. A BBerry that won't hold a phone call is an expensive paperweight.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ ATT warrenty puts a charge on your card everytime you need a replacement? Word? Sheesh! Att sure has changed since I was last with them. I didn't know that...that really makes me reconsider jumping back onto the ATT wagon
    AT&T has changed but only to reflect the times and the people it deals with.

I have read nightmares about people's Bold and "having to replace it 20 times", etc. I am amazed and must have good fortune smiling on me as I have two Bolds, both with the original OS and have worked without flaw. When I consider what it does day in and out, I am impressed with the hardware!
    Last edited by GregGebhardt; 06-04-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    All I can say is, I have gone through three bolds in 3 weeks bc I got messed up phones from att over an over again. I have had nothing BUT probs with att for two years. I feel ur pain and I'm sorry.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~