Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Today I got the grand opportunity to play with the anticipated AT&T Bold set to ... BlackBerry Bold forum

PIN/ID
    LESS

AT&T Bold Mini Review

Advertisement

Today I got the grand opportunity to play with the anticipated AT&T Bold set to launch this next Tuesday on Election day. Let me tell you it was everything I had hoped for and more. Right when I got in I was eyeing the entire room looking for the Bold. Took two freaking hours before I even got to touch the maginificent beauty. Trust me it was well worth the wait. The Bold I got to play with was a evaluation unit direct from RIM, that had the stickers on the back that stated just that and being property of RIM itself.

SOUND

First off to test was the speaker quality. I made a few test calls here and there and everyone I talked to was amazed at the clear cut quality of the call. Better than the 8820 I'm currently using now. Next up was making a few calls via bluetooth to see if they quality went down or improved. I noticed that the calls was a little bit louder than on the handset itself, but I've noticed that with many handsets when using it in connection with a bluetooth device. Third, but not last was to play a song. Wow!! Lets just say that was some great music coming from the speakers of the Bold. Don't know how many of you out there have ever played with a Sony Ericsson phone, but those phones are pretty much music players. Well I got hear them side by side and lets just say it beat the Sony out of the water.

VIDEO

I went ahead and played a couple of short clips from AT&T's Cellular Video application. The screen quality of the videos were quite good. I saw a buffer once throughout testing the different videos that I played on it. I compared it with a iPhone 3G on Youtube. I saw the same buffer on both devices at the exact same point. No difference there and saw about the same quality of both devices. So far hand in hand.

BROWSING

Here comes the best part!! I loaded 4 websites on 3 devices; Bold, iPhone 3G, & Sony Ericsson 760A. I will list them in quickness to loading.

BOLD: Blog Site, Forum A & PinStack and last was CrackBerry (Probably due to the high amount of embedded script in their website)

iPHONE 3G: Blog Site, PinStack, Forum A, CrackBerry

SONY 760A: CrackBerry (picked up its wap site), Blog Site, Forum A, & PinStack.

Bold seems to win those tests hands down. It does give you the desktop like experience that RIM proclaims it does. No doubt in that. I tried several other sites and was not let down at all. CrackBerry was slow of course cause it has so much java, takes forever on my laptop too, LOL. Screen resolution is amazing, really does go step by step in high quality of the iphone's screen resolution.

KEYBOARD

This is for my pal Archer who is very borderline because of the keyboard feel with him. I have used both the Curve and the 8820, don't get me wrong I love both keyboards especially the feel of the Curves. But the 8820 I can type quicker than I ever did on the Curve. This was the case with the Bold. I sent out a few emails and sms messages here and there and noticed no slowdown at all. The keyboard doesn't make that hard click when you use the Curve or the 8820's, but yet a gentle one. I noticed no lag between the keys being pressed and them actually showing on the screen itself. They have a smooth feel and nice texture to them. I can see myself transitioning over quite well without looking back.

All in all I give the Bold a 10 out of 10 and will be looking forward to calling it my own soon.

Let me know if you all have any questions at all that I didn't address.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Thanks for the the Real World hands on Review...Soon Come!

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Your very welcome DJSmooth!!

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Great Review!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Thanks Hack!

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for the great review!
    What did you think of the size of the device. I have a pearl now, and I love the size of the curve, yet the 88xx series size would be completely tolerable. It's probably my biggest worry about the Bold right now.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    I didn't feel no discomfort going from my 8820 to the bold. So it was a smooth transition for me. The curve is just slightly curved around the edges and the Bold is a smoother curve.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Great Review RSCStacker!

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    Thanks for the the Real World hands on Review...Soon Come!
    haha lol theres already 3 or 4 great reviews on the stacks (Nicky, Sean, somebody else and mine - not saying that mine is great but theirs is for sure!)

Quote Originally Posted by Skier87 View Post

Thanks for the great review!
    What did you think of the size of the device. I have a pearl now, and I love the size of the curve, yet the 88xx series size would be completely tolerable. It's probably my biggest worry about the Bold right now.
    It is definitely as big as the 88xx series but i was like you, had a curve, LOVED it and hated the 88xx series but the way the Bold is built makes it just sit really nicely in the hand!
    You just really have to try it to see because i really didnt want it when i saw the size of the dummy but when i actually played with one i fell in love!

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Thanks for the info Pedro. Sounds like the Bold's gonna fit the bill

Nicholaus no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks for the review, can't wait to get one. This week is going by so slowly.

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3

That is very encouraging to hear. Can't wait for next week!

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Great Review... we're almost there.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholaus View Post
    Thanks for the review, can't wait to get one. This week is going by so slowly.
    I know, there is just gone, but this last week, man - like I said Christmas eve just never seems to end!

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Thanks for the review. I can't wait to get my hands on a live display model to see if I really want one.

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    I hope you are right. I played with a Bold dummy phone this weekend at bestbuy. It looks sweet, but I could not get the full affect. I need to try a live model out.

I have always had a Pearl, so I am concerned about the size of the Bold. I play with a Curve and 8800 everytime I pop into an AT&T store and I think I am getting used to a larger device. We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    It is definitely as big as the 88xx series but i was like you, had a curve, LOVED it and hated the 88xx series but the way the Bold is built makes it just sit really nicely in the hand!
    You just really have to try it to see because i really didnt want it when i saw the size of the dummy but when i actually played with one i fell in love!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast