Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 159

Greetings Stackers... yes you read it right I'm now on Bold #6. This afternoon the ... BlackBerry Bold forum

  1. #1
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996

    Archers 6th New Bold !

    Advertisement



    Greetings Stackers... yes you read it right I'm now on Bold #6.

    This afternoon the display that went to snow, finally gave up the ghost. BlackBerry Bold #5 bites the dust...heh! What an amazing run of bad devices. One from Rogers, four from AT&T, and now the 6th AT&T Bold.

    So I drove to my friendly AT&T store where I demanded a new Bold, as I was not about to accept a refurbished Bold via the warranty exchange program. Down to just 5 remaining in their inventory, I was fortunate to find one in a sealed box, made in Canada. Prior models were made in China, Mexico, and Hungary. I've just finished charging it, setting it up, and doing a sync with Outlook so I'm ready to go... or am I... ha..ha..ha.

    Obviously, I'm one committed (or loony) Stacker to put up with Five Failed Bolds, and go back yet one more time. I must say, despite the problems, this model has grown on me. I enjoy the size, the newer ones (as my first two were very early production) have much better keyboards with good tactile feedback. Bet, you never thought you would hear me say that huh? A die hard Curve lover, and keyboard expert (yeah right) I'm here to say I like the keyboard on the Bold.

    So as today draws to a close, I'm all set for a new day tomorrow, a new Bold in hand, and a new opportunity to see if RIM built THIS ONE right...... Freakin Awesome!


  2. #2
    moderncowboy's Avatar
    moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    7,297
    Best of luck Archer...this has become like a soap opera or mini series. Can't wait to see how it come out in the final episode.

  3. #3
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    Best of luck Archer...this has become like a soap opera or mini series. Can't wait to see how it come out in the final episode.
    Thanks, I'm gonna need some luck...


  4. #4
    in4am0spun's Avatar
    in4am0spun no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    PIN/ID
    24ABA5D2
    Posts
    82
    I'd say eff the bold!, Eff 3g!!! 8900 ftw... even tho its not in my hands :-/

  5. #5
    dts51's Avatar
    dts51 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    ask ;-)
    Posts
    346
    Mine is made in Hungary...no issues yet (double knock on wood!). Archer, I do have to say though, I am quiet surprised at your loyalty to the bold considering your very vocal dissapointment regarding the BB browser. I dig the Bold very much but if something about it bothered me like the browser bothers you (or so it seems), I would ditch it the first sign of trouble...this isn't a "knock" or anything like that, just curiousity I guess. Anyhoo, I hope this one works out for you, cuz, IMO, the Bold is an incredible device that is only going to get better with newer OS's.
    "May fortune favor the foolish" ...... Captain James T. Kirk

  6. #6
    KriK's Avatar
    KriK no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    228
    Hah! I've been watching this mini-series unfold as well and I'm mildly amused by your passion for a device.

    Compare if you would to the regular HTC or Palm user who although they love their HTC tytan or whatever they are not nearly the die hard fans that a blackberry user is.

    And can you believe we have people with 5 defective devices going back for more!? I love this company, RIM truly did make the best drug out there.

    Let us know how it goes Archer I'd be really interested to see the difference between a Canadian made and a foreign made device. (As a Canadian I'm willing to bet this is the one you keep! )

  7. #7
    Kyo0tdemon's Avatar
    Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    995
    Archer, I can't believe you'd had such back luck with your Bold. Shortly after I bought my bold, I have been reading your reviews about your Bolds and it amazes me how many defective ones you had to go through. I can't blame you if you don't love BB's anymore.

    I have had my Bold since the 4th (official launch date) and have not had nearly as many problems as you have. I mean, I had minor problems with the battery life, the occasional uncaught.java.lang error codes, as well as a few minor setbacks when I upgraded my OS from .167 to .185, but not blank screens and whatever other problems you've encountered with your Bold. All I can say is that I am thankful that my Bold did not play games with me, as I would be one frustrated human being.

  8. #8
    KriK's Avatar
    KriK no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    228
    Oh the irony! I just posted the above comment and then took a closer look at my bold which I've had for 3 months now... I have two dead pixels.

    Obviously I'm half blind or I would have noticed this before but my own MADE IN CANADA Bold is defective and now I'm going to have to do a manufacturer swap.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    Oh Leonard ... you and me really have to join that Crackberry recovery clinic that we need to start lol :P
    Anyways i am SURE this one will be the best of all i have a good feeling about it and your lucky number IS 6 after all !
    As for the keyboard, go back in time and please read our first encounters lol me trying my best to make you realize the keyboard is amazing and now youre the one advocating it haha !!
    Leonard you just made my night ! Well actually that would be a lie my Storm is making it lol.
    And my sealed 8900 sitting beside me :P

  10. #10
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by dts51 View Post
    Mine is made in Hungary...no issues yet (double knock on wood!). Archer, I do have to say though, I am quiet surprised at your loyalty to the bold considering your very vocal dissapointment regarding the BB browser. I dig the Bold very much but if something about it bothered me like the browser bothers you (or so it seems), I would ditch it the first sign of trouble...this isn't a "knock" or anything like that, just curiousity I guess. Anyhoo, I hope this one works out for you, cuz, IMO, the Bold is an incredible device that is only going to get better with newer OS's.
    Here's my take:

    1) I know that RIM follows users feedback on PinStack, so that was another reason I was so vocal, and clear about the shortcomings. After all, what they do not know about, they can't fix.

    2) I did in fact, have defective units. It was not a matter of being picky. I'm certainly discerning when it comes to quality and top of the line products, however that said, I'm a tech guy, an engineer, and at no time do I ever expect perfection. I only expect them to fulfill the performance objectives they claim.

    3) Just because I had a run of bad units in no way diminishes my long term commitment to RIM as I have had many years of great service. I'm not about to forget that and give up on a great company that simply finds itself in the midst of competition unlike they have ever faced.

    4) Loyal customers are the backbone of a companies success. Why not be loyal?

    So at the end of the day, what happened earlier is history, and I don't live in the past. I live in the present. Period.

    Cheers!


  11. #11
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by dts51 View Post
    Mine is made in Hungary...
    Anyhoo, I hope this one works out for you, cuz, IMO, the Bold is an incredible device that is only going to get better with newer OS's.
    The Bold I had that was made in Hungary was one of the better ones. I'm not particularly sensitive to where they are made, as I trust RIM's ability to build and run good operations no matter where they are. However that said, I do have a bit of a positive bias to the units made in Canada. Each time I've had one made in Canada, it's been a keeper. Just another reason I'm feeling good about this Bold.

    When it comes to OS's, I tried them all on Bold number 5 over the last few days, and there did not seem to be a huge difference. And yet I believe you are right on, when you say that the updated OS's coming down the pike will certainly be a benefit. In the mean time, I'm going to overwhelm this Bold with positive thoughts....


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Here's my take:

    1) I know that RIM follows users feedback on PinStack, so that was another reason I was so vocal, and clear about the shortcomings. After all, what they do not know about, they can't fix.

    2) I did in fact, have defective units. It was not a matter of being picky. I'm certainly discerning when it comes to quality and top of the line products, however that said, I'm a tech guy, an engineer, and at no time do I ever expect perfection. I only expect them to fulfill the performance objectives they claim.

    3) Just because I had a run of bad units in no way diminishes my long term commitment to RIM as I have had many years of great service. I'm not about to forget that and give up on a great company that simply finds itself in the midst of competition unlike they have ever faced.

    4) Loyal customers are the backbone of a companies success. Why not be loyal?

    So at the end of the day, what happened earlier is history, and I don't live in the past. I live in the present. Period.

    Cheers!
    1/ They do inded

    2/ I heard about a whole bunch of deffective bolds too and i guess you just got a whole batch by yourself. Again hopefully #6 is a keeper

    3/ RIM are picking themselves up and their RD dept is working hard on it !

    4/ Couldnt have said it better myself.

  13. #13
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Well actually that would be a lie my Storm is making it lol. And my sealed 8900 sitting beside me :P
    Congrats ranxoren! Mission accomplished. You are now set going forward for quite some time. I look forward to your detailed reports...hint...hint....


  14. #14
    DjSmooth's Avatar
    DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,080
    Man, I hope everything works out, I'm a very patient man but 6, I would have demanded a New one and a month free or sumthin... I would have been like those workers in Chicago - "I'm Not Leaving, Until...)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Posts
    3,806
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Congrats ranxoren! Mission accomplished. You are now set going forward for quite some time. I look forward to your detailed reports...hint...hint....
    On their way I am actually trying to make you a really thorough report so i am taking notes about them

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •