Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After a 2 year hiatus with an iPhone, I switched back to a Bold 9700. ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Emmett no está en línea Stack level 1

Apps for rebooting Blackberrys

Advertisement

After a 2 year hiatus with an iPhone, I switched back to a Bold 9700. Love the phone, and have the current OS update installed. As with previous BBerries, I still find the device will "freeze up" periodically, requiring me to pull the battery for a reset. There are a number of apps that offer a manual way to reboot the phone without pulling the battery. 2 questions: Will any of those apps allow you to do a reset once the phone has locked up, or is the idea to do periodic resets so as to keep the phone less prone to locking up? And, any user recommendations on any of these apps? (I've seen apps that only do a reset, whereas others are "utility kits" that offer a variety of tools)
    Thanks all!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Any app of this sort is going to be useless if the phone will not allow you to navigate to said app.

Even if the device is frozen, you should still be able to utilize the Left-Alt, Right-Shift, Del buttons to reset the device. You have to hold the buttons down longer with the 9700 than on previous devices for some reason, but it does work. Simply hold them all down until the LED displays solid red and you'll know it's in reboot mode.

Thanks Roger! Just tried it from an "unfrozen" state, & it worked just fine. Hopefully it will do the same next time its freezes. Let me know if you feel there are any truly essential 3rd party apps out there. I tend to keep my devices as uncluttered as possible; I only have a shopping app, a glucose monitor app & Google Maps so far.

Emmett, you might want to update your profile. Still says 8700. Geez, you've been a member here a month longer than I have and I have a few more posts than you.

I personally can't live without my Bellshare apps.....BerryWeather, BerryBuzz and BerryPopup.

I also love Poynt, YouMail (customized voicemail), YouVersion Bible app, CardStar and Vlingo.

Wonder why your device is freezing, anyway? What carrier are you on, AT&T? I have had few, if any freezing issues and if I did, I'd say they were app related.

Not sure about the occasional freezes; certainly found that to be the case on the old 8700 as well. Seems to primarily happen when I'm doing one thing and another occurs. (a call coming in, etc. I have a sense that it's sort of like a log jam) So far the 9700 has only frozen once since the OS update. Sometimes I don't even notice as the screen looks fine, but when I go to do something it's locked up.

How do you gauge if an issue is app related; delete the app? Also, in addition to the 3rd party apps and the core apps, under the Options/Applications there is a listing for "Add Ons"; a lot of games & potential subscription apps that either RIM or AT&T put on; any reason I cannot delete any of these?

Although it's pretty cryptic, you can check your device log (hold left ALT key, then type L G L G) and see if you notice anything there.

If it'll let you, sure, go ahead and delete 'em. Some of them can't be deleted.

I take that back.....looks like most of the add-on stuff can be deleted if you want.

Thanks again! I had another freeze yesterday, (and your keyboard re-boot shortcut did work) and it does seems to be sort of a log jam kind of issue. I had just sent a text message, and was starting to copy & paste the message to send to someone else, when another text came in; froze the device. Also, is there a link anywhere to some of these great keyboard shortcuts? I know the basic ones for getting around in the apps, but obviously there are many more.

How long have you had this phone, Emmett? It definitely should NOT be freezing up like that. What OS do you have on the device? You might want to try an OS upgrade to see if that doesn't solve your problem.

There's an official release of .862 from Vodafone that I've been running for a couple of weeks. You should check that out.

You can download the OS from here.

I've had the phone a month or so. Due to being a older Mad OS user, I have to download upgrades OTA from RIM via AT&T. (Which I did around 5 days ago) I'm currently running 5.0.0.602, so I'll check & see if there is a later version available. (Just checked; not yet) I bought the phone via Amazon, but I'll go into an AT&T store & see what they have to say.

You should add a Windows partition to your Mac so you can use Desktop Manager or the Loader executable to upgrade your device.

Will the DM for Mac not work on your PC?

At any rate, the frequency with which your device seems to freeze up on you is not normal. They'll probably try to blame it on an app or something, but still.....

I'm, hopefully less than a year from buying a new laptop. My old Mac neither has the hard drive space for a Windows partition, nor has a new enough OS. (I'm running Tiger, and the RIM DM for Macs does not support this older OS) As a result,I've had to purchase the Mark-Space "Missing Sync" app, which is not bad, (& does support my OS) and is certainly better than the old, formerly RIM supported, PocketMac. Anyway, I think the likelihood that my freeze issues are hardware related are virtually nil, so I'll hope that the next 9700 OS update will do the trick. As I mentioned, getting it OTA via Options-Advanced Options-Wireless Update went without a hitch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast