So I was enjoying my new blackberry bold, just took one back and got a ... BlackBerry Bold forum

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3

Applications can't access internet all of the sudden

Advertisement

So I was enjoying my new blackberry bold, just took one back and got a brand new one (back wouldn't stay on after 2 days use) and got everything all setup, but now for whatever reason none of the applications on my phone can connect to the internet. I get error that says a data connection is required. It started out that documents to go couldn't connect to get an update, then google maps couldn't connect, and now my weather app can't connect anymore (and it could 30 minutes ago). The permissions are set to allow http connections and all that, and I can access the internet through the browser just fine. I have a wifi connection and 3g connection. I'm also on a BES. Can someone please help!?

Oddly, just now, google maps finally connected.. it took it about 5 minutes to load for the first time and now it's been loading terms and conditions for about 2 minutes. I know it wasn't this slow when I loaded it before. I've also seen this behavior on a couple of other apps, it would connect but take an extremly long time. It's not my internet connection. I can browse the internet from my computer just fine.

mentalcase no está en línea Stack level 1
    Im not sure if this is related but when i was trying to use my streaming video stuff, sometimes it wouldnt load. I would exit to my home-screen and id notice the blackberry icon was not showing up next to the 3g logo. Then once it reappeared i would try to connect and everything was fine. It was annoying at the least.

It should be working fine regardless of 3g status, I'm on my home wifi network. Even though google maps is connected, something still isn't right. It won't load the map when I scroll left or right, it just sits there saying 67KB Loading... then a pop says this application requires a data connection, please check your connection strength and try again. But again, I'm am connected to wifi with good signal, I don't understand this.

devildogg2001 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24168E0D
    not sure how much it would help, but did you do a soft rest? sometimes that will fix things like network issues..

ya, I tried that twice to no avail. It seems like it's a wifi issue. I guess I'm gonna have to try a wipe and reinstall everything. Man, I'm on my last leg with blackberries. I haven't ever had one yet that actually worked more than a day.

zantopad no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would maybe hold off on that as it seems there is a rim outage affecting most if not all of the country right now, I've heard people from tmo to verizon to att having network issues...

jwarnoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305753FF
    I called Verizon 90 minutes ago. They confirmed that there is an outage over the entire country. My 8830 can't access the Internet at all.

jwarnoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305753FF
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarnoc View Post
    I called Verizon 90 minutes ago. They confirmed that there is an outage over the entire country. My 8830 can't access the Internet at all.
    Now that I posted the above, my Internet just came back on.

lesawag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I'm back up and running finally in Texas,Yeah!

thanks guys, I hope that's all it is... although I still don't see what that has to do with my situation being that I'm on "wifi". I don't understand blackberries very well, but hoping that a blackberry needs a data connection for wifi to work sound better than 2 defective blackberries in a week.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Data outages are common to the BlackBerry platform. There were so many last year that I actually switched back and forth between my 8100 (all 3 of them) and a SideKick 3 (two of those). I just went back to my BlackBerry back in April right before I got my 8120.

Everything seems to be working again all of the sudden. *Sigh of relief* I can deal with an occasional data outage, those things happen.

You guys seem to be ignoring that fact that I keep saying that I am on wifi. Is it against the blackberry code to tell a new blackberry user that the blackberry is the only device ever created that can't use wifi without a data connection? I still don't see why things weren't working over wifi regardless of a data outage. Unless the data outage was affecting my company BES server and maybe all my internet data goes through my BES? Could that be it? But browsing the internet through my browser was working flawlessly. Aaaaaaaaa, this is aggrevating. Anyway, I'm just glad that it seems to be working just fine now. Thanks guys, and gals, for trying to help me out. It really feels like I have support when so many people post to try and help out a new user, and despite my frustration, I really am enjoying my new blackberry.

lesawag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I've been using blackberrys going on 5 years now and this is only the 2nd time I've really been hit with outages. The others didn't seem to hit me. Luck I guess, I couldn't leave blackberry even for a month..I'd go nuts with another phone.
    Can you say addiction? Lol

stonewall72 no está en línea Themes Pro
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ back up in central NC