This may seem like an obvious question, but what is the difference between application memory ... BlackBerry Bold forum

drjamie03 no está en línea Stack level 3

Application memory vs Device memory

Advertisement

This may seem like an obvious question, but what is the difference between application memory and device memory? I think app memory is for applications (obviously!). But what is device memory for? And why do I have almost all of it available? Am I not using it as I'm supposed to? I guess my question is how I can use the device memory as it looks like it's just sitting there unused.

googlymoogly111 no está en línea Stack level 1
    you have OS memory and application memory, which are part of the built in phone memory. The OS reserves a set amount of memory for its use and lets the rest go to the phone for installed apps/games/messages/email/browser cache/etc.

In addition you can add the microSD flash memory to your phone, which would allow you to save all of your video/pictures/etc to that and save your phone memory for exclusive application use.

Hope that helps.. keep reading up you'll be a whiz in no time.

That does help, thanks! But if it's what the phone uses for apps/messages etc., then why is all of it left when I have LOTS of messages, photos, applications, etc? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by drjamie03 View Post
    That does help, thanks! But if it's what the phone uses for apps/messages etc., then why is all of it left when I have LOTS of messages, photos, applications, etc? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    If you happen to have a memory card, you're technically saving all of your photos and videos on the memory card. Text messages, mms and emails do not consume much of the memory. Do note that you have file free in mb. I believe
    1,000kb make up one mb.

Ok. So basically the Bold has a lot more memory than my 8820, so I don't necessarily NEED a memory card now...I could technically put my pictures, music and videos directly on my Blackberry instead of on the memory card. Correct?

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by drjamie03 View Post
    Ok. So basically the Bold has a lot more memory than my 8820, so I don't necessarily NEED a memory card now...I could technically put my pictures, music and videos directly on my Blackberry instead of on the memory card. Correct?
    Yup. The bold has 1GB of internal memory. It's the first BB to have that much memory. The phone that came out before the Bold (the Curve) only had 64mb of memory. Many people had problems with the lack of memory and constantly rebooted their phones on a daily basis (battery pulls). Others deleted their internet cache daily and/or deleted their event logs (ALT lglg, bb button, verify deletion). There are also some people who deleted preloaded wallpapers, the preloaded video and some themes. I did all of that and had fluctuating memory all the time. I have no problems with the Bold. If you don't have a memory card, you should be okay, but it's recommended that you do as you can store pictures, videos, ringtones, voice notes and etc. on there.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyo0tdemon View Post
    Yup. The bold has 1GB of internal memory. It's the first BB to have that much memory. The phone that came out before the Bold (the Curve) only had 64mb of memory. Many people had problems with the lack of memory and constantly rebooted their phones on a daily basis (battery pulls). Others deleted their internet cache daily and/or deleted their event logs (ALT lglg, bb button, verify deletion). There are also some people who deleted preloaded wallpapers, the preloaded video and some themes. I did all of that and had fluctuating memory all the time. I have no problems with the Bold. If you don't have a memory card, you should be okay, but it's recommended that you do as you can store pictures, videos, ringtones, voice notes and etc. on there.
    Yeah. I wish the bold would come to my carrier. The fluctuation you speak of has just now started on my phone... (it seems since I've been in Utah). Hopefully when I get back to Florida in a week it ceases. Doubt it haha.
    "Who Dares Wins"

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I REALLY wish they could upgrade the memory of the Pearl but it probably would make the device much larger than what it is currently now.

lancereeter no está en línea Stack level 2
    This is my understanding of memory on the Bold and Storm. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Each has:
    128 MB flash memory
    1 GB onboard memory
    8 GB MicroSD card

The MicroSD card and onboard memory are for storing pics, videos, music, movies, etc.
    The onboard memory is also for installing 3rd party applications.
    The flash memory is like RAM on your computer and is only used to run the OS and load up applications.

Lance