so i woke up this morning and to my great sadness i had some type ... BlackBerry Bold forum

aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2

application memory problem?

Advertisement

so i woke up this morning and to my great sadness i had some type of message that said application memory low we're going to take you through a set up wizard to delete the languages you don't use to free up some space... so i did that. and then my bb started going reeeeally slow and i couldnt get my text messages without having errors and such (i wish i had written down what the errors were but i didnt) but i was able to see how much application memory i had which was 0. i feel like i haven't had that many applications so i'm wondering why it's doing that? i had a couple themes, aol, opera, facebook, and a game.. besides the ones that come with it in general. anyways i was able to delete them and restart my bb and it's going faster now but i want to be able to have applications on my phone!

and ps i just got my blackberry like 3 weeks ago! i feel like i shouldnt be having problems like this, among others that i've been having.
    Last edited by aiyssa; 01-27-2009 at 10:06 AM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    aiyssa,

As you can see from firsthand experience, memory is something you need to keep an eye on. If you do have 3rd party applications running on your device, make sure you close them down properly when you're done, especially if they're the type of applications that will chew up your device memory. When you're in the application and you've finished with it, press the BB menu button and then select Close from the list of options to ensure you've closed the application down properly.

If you click on the FAQ link in my signature you will find a thread dedicated to helping you keep your memory freed up. Browser cache is one of the big culprits, which you can clear by going into the browser, pressing the BB menu button, then go to Options>Cache Operations.

You might also want to consider removing a couple of canned applications on your device such as the TTY and Help applications. Go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications. Scroll down to each of those applications, press the BB menu button, then select Delete. Once you've deleted those, that should free up close to 5mb of space. FYI, you don't need TTY unless you are hearing impaired and the Help application can be removed because you have us here at PinStack!

Hope this helps!

Roger

aiyssa no está en línea Stack level 2
    so when i go to memory and its talking about application memory, it's talking about my applications that are actually open and not just downloaded ones? if i close them properly i should find a bigger number there?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    In a manner of speaking, yes. Downloaded applications do take up device memory, though most of them aren't that much. It's the ones that are constantly running in the background that will chew up the free space.

Keep in mind that BlackBerry devices are notorious for memory "leaks", meaning that every day you will notice the number growing smaller. But by keeping an eye on that number, making sure you're closing your applications properly and performing weekly housecleaning, you should not have any problems. Weekly housecleaning will include either a battery pull or a "soft reset". You can even download an application from here that will simulate a soft reset on your device.

Regards,
    Roger