I don't know if any of you are as deceived by the low application memory ... BlackBerry Bold forum

05money no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down App Memory on BOLD...

Advertisement

I don't know if any of you are as deceived by the low application memory on the BOLD, but I do know that whatever the amount of Memory it came with is way to low for the potential of this phone. I mean why did they even put 1GB of memory on the device if they are only going to use a tiny fraction for applications.

I wish there was a way to adjust this, like with Palm Devices. I have already run out of memory after loading only 2 apps (MSN Messenger, and our internal company Messenger).

Has anybody else experienced this? I have done all the steps to see if I could recover some from memory leaks and whatnot... but still no luck. I've only had this for 4-5 days now, but it seems I had more memory with my 8800.

Overall this is just a rant, but I do welcome anyone's input of if they have figured out a way to get more out of this phone, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have a bunch of apps installed on mine and 18MB free still of application memory. (mind you, I don't keep a lot of messages on my device, no excessive themes and only one language).
    Have you changed any of the default options for browser cache, etc? Also, what's your message retention set to?

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I haven't had this problem. I am running MSN, Viigo (beta 3), WeatherEye, Facebook, and a bunch of other persnal organizer stuff.

I still have 30 megs free.

BL86 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    207BE7BC
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I have 26mb free with viigo, instango, poynt, facebook, and many more.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    i have 4.6.0.150 and im running viigo, google maps, peek a boo, jive talk, berry black and white list, and about 6 other apps. and im running 56 mb free. i have also deleted word docs to go. and all the games. (dont use it) during the day i will say i go from a fresh 56-57mb down to about 20 when i get home. then i do a reset and right back up to 56-57mb free
    www.bbmchat.com sign up today!! come follow me at www.twitter.com/bbmchat and win free blackberry of your choice and cash 1st 1,000 members. spread the word.

scrybe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ok, if I look under status I am showing 17.4 mb free. I just got Bold, haven't loaded too much onto it other than Viigo, Google Maps and a few other programs. What should it be?

How do I get more memory?

mattgirv no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    255575EB
    Quote Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
    Ok, if I look under status I am showing 17.4 mb free. I just got Bold, haven't loaded too much onto it other than Viigo, Google Maps and a few other programs. What should it be?

From what I gather, pre-installed software uses up memory as does programs that you are currently running.

So delete any of the 'stock' software/languages you don't use and close down programs that hog memory rather than switching between if it bothers you.

Personally I have had my Bold running for days on end, sometimes the memory getting down to the 10mb area when I am running tonnes of stuff but I imagine it has some form of efficient memory management and the fact it is actually making use of memory available is better than it sitting unused.

Proof of the pudding is I haven't had any memory related issues thus far and neither has anyone else on the forum so I can't see it being too much of a problem.

As to the initial post, what firmware are you running on? I'd speak to the people managing your BES server as they regulate the updates that you receive. I am not sure if you can update your firmware without their say-so.

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by scrybe View Post

what os are you running on the Bold?
    8900 Curve, IPHONE 3G, SAMSUNG JET, NOKIA E71, BOLD, STORM 9500

dimas999 no está en línea Stack level 1
    bold. . . expensive

walterwt no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    207B2FF0
    The Blackberry OS itself is very efficient. It will run with only 400k left. Normally it will automaticlly refresh available memory while idle. RIM is working on memory leak issues and the more recent software has resolved a lot of them. All I can say is, don't worry too much about it, after all, it's not Windows. BTW, the majority of the 1 GIG is reserved for documents and media files.
    No electrons were hurt in the making of this post.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB
    As mentioned above, the 1 gig is for storage only -- think of it as built in media storage.

The Bold has 128 MB for applications, which is completely separate from the 1 GB storage and external microSD storage.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

stmcgill no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2104EBA8
    I have had big problems with mine (unlocked GSM version). Often it goes down to 0MB with no apps running. Is quite annoying...
    Shaun McGill
    www.pda-247.com
    Blackberry, Symbian, iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android etc. etc.
    PIN: 2104EBA8

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by stmcgill View Post
    I have had big problems with mine (unlocked GSM version). Often it goes down to 0MB with no apps running. Is quite annoying...
    Oh wow 0MB ? never heard of that. Mine is constantly running at around 40 free (running WLM, PhoneFace) then goes down to around 28 when running Flipside and Nav4All on top of that.

KChuck no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am puzzled, once my bold running down to 1M of app memory, it's working normal still. When pushed a little harder opening the browser and music player, it started climbing up to 6M something....